iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Squealing drive belt

Started by Chuck White, July 09, 2008, 01:00:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Sometimes when I'm sawing a log and the band enters a knot, the drive belt will really squeal and I have to either slow down the feed or stop it altogether.
It doesn't really seem like I'm feeding the blade through the log too fast.

Also, once in a while, when I go to engage the band, nothing happens and I have to remove the shield and put the drive belt (double "V") back in line with the pulley.

Question: To fix these problems, do I adjust (lengthen) the turnbuckle on the linkage on the engagement handle?

The mill is a Wood-Mizer LT40HDG24.

The mill just turned over 600 hours.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ADAMINMO

I don't know much about a Woodmizer. I have only seen them at shows. But it seems to me that if you lengthen the turn buckle that that would loosen tension on the belt therfore making the problem worse. My guess would be to adjust your turn buckle by shortening the stroke. Therefore putting more tension on the belt. Hopefully someone who owns one will chime in and either agree with me or tell you how they actually do it.Just seems to me that by shortening the turn buckle would apply more tension to the belt. But I have also never looked at one up close. Just my $.02.

pineywoods

The clutch turn buckle on woodmizers is a "push" link. Lengthing it raises the motor, thus tightening the belt. I ran across one wm owner who was ready to trade off his 5 yr old mill because of just what you describe. He was sorta embarrased when I poped the cover, gave the turnbuckle a few turns and the problem went away  ;D That will also take care of the belt jumping off the pulley.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ADAMINMO

Just my luck ..... I was wrong!!!  :-[  :-[  Oh well .... theres a first time for everything. I was going by the gas motor we occasionally but on the Baker "A" and it tensions by pulling and is opposite of the Woodmizer mill. Well .... atleast I gave it a try to help a man in need!! Kudos to me for that. 8)  8)

Gary_C

Best to get the book out and follow the instructions for your mill. You need to adjust both the clutch and the brake at the same time. Plus it depends on the accessories like auto clutch or manual clutch.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

MartyParsons

Drive belt tension on the LT40HDG24 is 8 lb force with 7/16 deflection. We have a tool that helps you know how much 8 # of force is part # 016309. You can also use a fish weight scale with # . Check tension with drive belt engauged. On some mills and you can install a bar that keeps the belt from rubbing the drive pulley when the drive belt is not engauged. ( Drive Belt Support Single prong bracket assembly part # A12243) This should also be adjusted. Your mill may have this on it from the factory, looks like after 1992 they were installed.  The drive side pulley also has a brake on it that should also be checked and adjusted in this process. ( If you fingers hit the mast assembly when you disengauge the belt you need to adjust the brake or the band keeps turning when the drive belt is disengauged)
The turnbuckle would be turned counterclockwise to tighten drive belt and clockwise to loosen the drive belt.
Let me know if you need more info.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

Thanks to all of you folks for the quick responses!

I was quite sure that the turnbuckle needed to be lengthened, but was not positive.

I'll get it adjusted this morning.

I looked through the book several times, but I couldn't find anything about this adjustment.
There are quite a few little things that are not in the book.  But, if everything was in the book, it would be an inch thick.

Thanks again for the responses.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Chuck White

Quote from: Gary_C on July 09, 2008, 07:00:38 PM
Best to get the book out and follow the instructions for your mill. You need to adjust both the clutch and the brake at the same time. Plus it depends on the accessories like auto clutch or manual clutch.

You hit it right on the nose!   Today I was going  through the book again, again, & again and I finally found the info in the trouble shooting guide!

Problem: Drive belt/s come off the pulleys when disengaging the blade!
Cause:  Brake strap too loose.
Fix:  Tighten.

So I lengthened the turnbuckle to stop the belt from squealing when engaging the blade and coming into a big knot in a cant, and I shortened the adjustment on the brake, which keeps the belts partially into the V's of the wheel.

Thanks again for all the support.

Thank You Sponsors!