iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is this Bug?

Started by DR Buck, December 07, 2006, 09:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

Found these critters inside an Eastern Red Ceder log this evening.   Any idea what they are?   They are about 1/4" in length.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

jrdwyer

Looks like the body shape of the stinkbug. Not sure what type. I take it you found this under the bark? Many of these are considered good bugs as they eat other insects. Here is a link:

http://www.uky.edu/Ag/CritterFiles/casefile/insects/bugs/stinkbugs/stinkbugs.htm

ely

mash one with your thumb you will never forget what kind of bug it is. ;D

SwampDonkey

I was surprised by this big creature fluttering in under the oil furnace this morning to. It was a promethius (sp?) or sphinx moth, the kind with an eye spot on the wing. It must have came in on the wood, or maybe a cocoon under the lip of a flower pot hatched out. I did it in because there is no way it would live anyway in the winter. I doubt they eat wood bark and I have no flowers for them to feed on. I suppose a tray of sweetened water would have been an option.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

If you can kill them without them losing any scales they make a fine mount.

SwampDonkey

smooshed it with the ash shovel and tossed it into the ash bucket.  ::)  :-[

Just went down cellar and retrieved him. Didn't fair too good, eh?  :(

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Yep SD, don't think it'll fly.....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Paul_H

Hey ya big bully,what do you do when you're not smooshing defenseless Moths with a ash shovel? Probably hunt Bears with a combine eh?

Yup,I thought so :)
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

SwampDonkey

Nah, I hunt bears with a thinning saw.  Anything that reaches out of the den gets clipped. Toe nails and all, eh? ;D

Tom

The wings might still mount.  Stick a couple of pins in them and hang them on the wall.  :D

SwampDonkey

Hey! That might be fine at the camp, but I dunno about the house.  :D :D :D

jon12345

Another bug Q?  What are those creepy lookin bugs with about 20 pairs of legs that usually live in dark places, and I've also seen them living under/in piles of old wood  ???
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

I remember big black ones on the west coast with yellow and blue dots on them. They were often times crawling around in the moss....well everything was covered in moss anyway. If you stood there 300 years you'd be covered in moss too.  ;D

rebocardo

Under wood piles, most likely a millipede. We have bright red/orange ones with black strips around here. I take the colors as a warning to pick them up with gloves. They look sort of like a worm with thick short legs and do not move as fast as a centipede. Centipedes sort of carry themselves higher, are more delicate with a bigger frame, and much faster.

jon12345

I found it by clicking on Ian's link - a house centipede  :)
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Mike_Barcaskey

marshmule,
that is a Polyphemus Moth, not related to the sphinx family.
it is a male by the way, you can tell by the antenea which are very feathery to pick up air borne female phermones.
the adlut mothes do not eat, just mate and die.
that one was probably going to overwinter in it's cocoon until you brought it into the warmth.

as for the first bug, which it is, a true bug, not a beetle. I do not recognize it, maybe a stink bug or leaf hopper
typically those types of bugs have piercing, sucking mouth parts. they pierce the leaf, vine or friut and suck out the starches
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

SwampDonkey

I figured it was one or the other. I just got lazy and never pulled the Insect book out to ID it proper.  ;D :D

It's interesting about the antenae and that it's a male. I remember, vaguely,  ::) that lecture in 'bug' class. I've seen their caterpillers on my black walnut leaves. I knew they were of the silkworm family. Thanks for piping in.  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!