iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bear cub

Started by Onthesauk, August 19, 2014, 11:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Sitting here at my computer a few minutes ago and had a little bear wander around the yard.  Maybe 6 months old, appears to be by himself.  Worked up the hill into the brush, came back down onto the driveway and finally when he headed for the peaches I stepped out and clapped my hands and ran off.  Appears healthy and well fed but still pretty small to be alone.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Magicman

I'll bet "she" was not too far away.  Have you checked your peaches this morning.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terry f

Bear season opened Aug 1st in Oregon, I think a lot of cubs are accidently left orphaned.

Magicman

I did not think of that terry f.  Much of Washington's bear seasons opened Aug 1st & 15th.

Onthesauk could answer if Darrington is open yet.  I still wonder about those peaches.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Shotgun

In Michigan it is against the law to shoot a sow with cubs. I would assume that most states would have that requirement, as well. The cubs stay with the mother through the second winter. They're usually born about mid-January. They have been known to survive the loss of the mother prior to the start of their first winter.
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

clww

Same law here in Virginia. The law is that a bear must be at least 75 lbs (dressed) or 100 lbs (whole) to be legal. We used to run a game check station and did have some small guys brought in. The smallest I recall was 78 lbs dressed. A real shame shooting one that weighed less than our German Shepherd.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

beenthere

Same in OR.
Bag Limit: One black bear per tag, except that it is unlawful to take cubs less than one year old or sows with cubs less than one year old. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Onthesauk

We've been gone yesterday and today but the peaches were still there tonight.

Think he is alone. He was right next to the west side of the house, walked up through the brush and came back down the hill on the north side and crossed the driveway, headed for the peaches by the garage and when I chased him off he went off to the east side, a couple of hundred feet from the house.  I think he covered too much ground to not be around the sow.

I think season opened here on August 1 so pretty good odds he is an orphan.   
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

terry f

Its to bad, but I know too many so called hunters that think the only good bear, is a dead bear, they think they are killing all their elk. Oregon's elk management stinks, but its not the bears fault.

Thank You Sponsors!