iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forwarders on steep terrain?

Started by bkellyvtme, March 12, 2010, 09:40:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

How are large forwarders on steep terrain? 18+ Ton size? Any operators have any comments?

furltech

i have about 12 or fifteen years running various forwarders .What kind of steep ground are you talking here .if you keep the tracks tight on the bogies you can go up quite a slope and you will find you can go up steeper slopes in reverse for some reason .

bkellyvtme

We have some pretty steep mountains over here and a processor with a tilt cab can go up, but it is shaky at times. I was just wondering if a forwarder could hang with the processor in these instances.

mad murdock

I have run Franklin and Gafner (Iron Mule) forwarders, neither was good on real steep ground.  The nature of the forwarder is a relatively High CG when loaded, as you are packing all that wood on the back.  Empty, they do well on steep gound, but loaded, they are real tippy.  I have tipped over my fair share of times.  If you have steep ground, the only way to go to get out wood is either grapple/pole skidder, or shovel log the steep grades.  If a guy tries to use a forwarder on steep ground you can only go at it in straight lines, up or down, no side hills, unless you want to see the bottom side of the skidder often.
;D Been there.  The most important thing is to stay strapped in to the machine, if you try to jump out, you will have a good chance of becoming a statistic.  My personal preference is to use a pole (cable) skidder on tough ground.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Jamie_C

Quote from: bkellyvtme on March 12, 2010, 09:40:44 AM
How are large forwarders on steep terrain? 18+ Ton size? Any operators have any comments?

I have run 16 tonne Rottne Forwarders on some real nasty ground, i have climbed hills with them where you had to stand up in the cab to see the ground ahead of you as otherwise all you could see was the tree tops. Keep the tracks tight and on real bad ground run tracks front and rear on double bogie machines and they are more capable than most operators can handle comfortably.

For pure maneuverability a 6 wheel drive with tracks on the back and chains on front will scare you with the hills it will climb or descend with ease. I have run 6 wheel drive Timberjack/John Deere forwarders on ground so steep the loaders would barely work.

The real trick to working on steep ground is a hydrostatic machine and a real light right foot.

Ron Scott

On steep terrain we find it best to use a cable skidder straight up and down and pull the tree lengths down slope and then buck them into the variable lengths at the base of the slope. If it is a long steep slope and there is access to the top, some of the tree lengths may be cabled to the top of the slope if all can't be reached from the bottom.

Always plan your operation carefully when working on slopes. The Timber Harvest Methods and Equipment Thread shows some harvesting on slopes.

Some machines are designed better than others for working on steep slopes and the operator needs to be well experienced in their use.
~Ron

Jamie_C

Quote from: Ron Scott on March 12, 2010, 05:55:22 PM
On steep terrain its best to use a cable skidder straight up and down and pull the tree lengths down slope and then buck them into the variable lengths at the base of the slope. If it is a long steep slope and there is access to the top, some of the tree lengths may be cabled to the top of the slope if all can't be reached from the bottom.

Always plan your operation carefully when working on slopes. The Timber Harvest Methods and Equipment Thread shows some harvesting on slopes.

Around here most CTL crews don't have a cable skidder laying around for just in case, you work with what you have and put the most experienced operators in the worst terrain during daylight hours.

mad murdock

I have never run anything but a 4x4 forwarder. I bet those newer TJ's JD's and Ponsse machines do real well on steeper ground.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Kevin

sjfarkas

I'd like to see that thing working!
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Ed_K

I'd like to use one a day or two. I wonder what the tower will cost?
Ed K

rick f

Are there any utube video's of the tractor with the tower ?
664 clark skidder
1- 562 husky
1- 254xp husky
1 - 268xp husky
1250 JD farm tractor with skid winch
5040 kubota farm tractor

allmosdone

That tower rig wouldn't be to complicated to make up. If you already had a skid winch on your tractor that would be a dandy accesory!!
If It Was Easy, Everyone Would Be Doimg It Every Day                  Buckaroo Bonzi             Make freinds,you'll be glad you did.  CRA

Gary_C

I don't know what you think that tower does, but it looks similiar to a well drillers rig for lifting straight up. The picture just shows it folded for transport. Notice the feet under the base for setting it down when lifting. Good for pulling well pipe and not much more. Straight up only.

They are only as good as the operator.

A good careful operator can go places you would not believe. But you have to know the limits or best ways to go on slopes or rough terrain. A poor operator can tip one over on level ground by running over stumps or rocks or lifting a heavy load high and swinging it too fast.

You can also use the boom as a counterbalance on the high side and you can also raise the boom straight up and tip the thing over on the slightest slope.

All the better forwarders have an automatic lock on the rotation between the front and rear sections for more stability when stationary. But it disengages when moving to follow the terrain.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Maine372

i havent run one, but one operator i spoke with told me how he worked steep ground. he would back to the top of the hill so load wasnt in his line of sight. then load going down the hill. pointed downhill the wood would slide against the headboard rather than off the back.

bushmechanic

I haven't used the bigger forwarders but I have used the 230D Timberjack double bunk on all kinds of rough ground and those machines will back up hills where they won't go front on.If the hill is too steep it will back up until it just bounces accross the hill.I have been on hills where the wheels didn't turn but the machine slid downhill,they don't call this province the rock because it is flat.The newer forwarders with hydrostatic drive will outdo any of the old FWD forwarders.

thecfarm

Kevin,that is quite the unit.Probaly quite the price too.Have you put this in Timber Havest Methods and Euipment thread? Would be a good place for it too. If I had plenty of money I would buy one.   ::)  Buy a forwarder too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kevin

graves logging

Quote from: Jamie_C on March 12, 2010, 05:51:40 PM

I have run 16 tonne Rottne Forwarders on some real nasty ground, i have climbed hills with them where you had to stand up in the cab to see the ground ahead of you as otherwise all you could see was the tree tops. Keep the tracks tight and on real bad ground run tracks front and rear on double bogie machines and they are more capable than most operators can handle comfortably.

For pure maneuverability a 6 wheel drive with tracks on the back and chains on front will scare you with the hills it will climb or descend with ease. I have run 6 wheel drive Timberjack/John Deere forwarders on ground so steep the loaders would barely work.

The real trick to working on steep ground is a hydrostatic machine and a real light right foot.
i agree

SwampDonkey

Skidder guys around here will build roads at the top and pull cable down hill to twitches. A lot easier to pull that cable downhill. It may not be the best idea for the ground disturbance issues, but the operator has to think of himself to I guess. Besides that, it would be rare for there not to be a water body at the bottom of the hillside in these parts. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Yes, work according to the situation with safty first and the hillside evvironment. Waterbars may be necessary to control any erosion after the activity on the steep terrain.
~Ron

quietrangr

When I was younger and had bigger...well...you know...bigger nerve...I ran a four wheel forwarder on a hill so steep the engine oil pump wasn't picking up oil, and I could barely stay in the seat. Now I drop the trees downhill, limb, but leave them whole and grab them by the top. If I can't reach I haul a chain up from the bottom, or rig my big pulley twelve or fifteen feet up in a tree at the top, run my chain through and pull with the forwarder.

Thank You Sponsors!