iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One man crosscut saw

Started by addicted, September 17, 2014, 09:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

I've been using the Bahco hand saw that Jim mentioned a while back and have had good results with it. So I thought I'd take it a step further and see if anyone uses the one man crosscut saws that are sold by some woodworker stores. They claim they are made in Germany. I'm assuming they are designed more for cutting logs but was wondering if anybody has used them on timbers and what their results were like.

Rusty

bushhog920

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bushhog920

ok I guess it will not let me add a link to youtube.

beenthere

Copy the link from the http line at the top when viewing the video. Then just paste it in your post.

Click preview to be assured that it is correct for you. Then click Post when it is as you want it to be.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

addicted

If they don't find you handsome...............

petefrom bearswamp

Another fine invention by good ol Red.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Stephen1

IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

AT sawyer

I've not used one of the German saws, but I've seen other saws that were sold new by one of the tree service suppliers. Their saws were poorly manufactured and arrived dull and unset. They could be made to cut properly, but only by an experienced filer. The small tooth pattern on the German saws should start easy on small logs but may clog in larger timber. If you'll be sawing with a partner, be sure to get the helper handle.

Dave Shepard

I have a 42" one man saw with a helper handle on the other end. I played around tuning it, but have not gotten results that were noticeably better than a good 26" hand saw. There are a few more things that I could do to it that might help, but I haven't had the chance to get to it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

AT sawyer

This vid is for small crosscuts. All tools purchased cheap on Ebay. If properly jointed and set, most any antique store one-man saw will cut better than the "new" ones.

http://youtu.be/FrYsFlx3OSY

beenthere

A very good video showing the steps to sharpening, as well as restoring, a crosscut saw with rakers.
Agree on the number of crosscut saws that are not sharpened correctly and don't cut worth a DanG.
south central Wisconsin

Thank You Sponsors!