iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody Know?

Started by dail_h, December 27, 2005, 07:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dail_h

Anybody know what pressure the power steering pump on a 95 Ford F250 is set at ?---Cobblin minds want to know
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

jgoodhart

Nope, on the old John Deeres I just keep turning till the steering feels right ;)

dail_h

Apparently not :( :( :(
      Volume Discount At ER

DanG

Dail, I'ma thinkin' it's about 1500 psi, but don't quote me on that.  I'm rememberin' that from when I was hookin' up my MileMarker winch, but my memory don't work too good any more.  I wish I could remember that. :-\
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dail_h

Thanks Dang ,that's 'bout what I thought it was,fella told me yesterday it was only 50 80 psi. It was his tale ,so I let him tell it.
   Reason I wanted to know was I have two 2 1/2 in cylinders mounted under my flatbed,wanted to use powersteering pump to run dump.
      Volume Discount At ER

Sunfield Hardwood

Hi dail h, being a cobbler my self, i've heard of guys putting heavier springs or double springs in the bypass or pressure regulater to increase pump pressure enough to use power steering pumps for woodspliters. i've never done it myself, good luck :)
2 international log trucks,woodmizer LT40 Super hyd, cat 910 frontloader, case 1845 skidloader,new holland 4x4 tracter with farmi whinch, lots of stihl saws, waiting to retire so I can spend even more time logging and sawing, yip-yip-yahoo

highpockets

Although I have not actually put a gauge on one, I have been told that you can get about 4,000 lbs. out of it.   I have one off a 1965 ford stationwagon running the lift one my large bandsaw.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

flip

I thought about the same thing.  My front end guys tell me they are set about 1400psi and start blowing seals at 4000.  Problem is not enough flow :(  Wasn't going to be enough to drive the hyd. system on my mill I built.  I can check specs for sure if ya really need xact #s.

Flip
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Modat22

Quote from: flip on December 29, 2005, 04:17:25 PM
I thought about the same thing.  My front end guys tell me they are set about 1400psi and start blowing seals at 4000.  Problem is not enough flow :(  Wasn't going to be enough to drive the hyd. system on my mill I built.  I can check specs for sure if ya really need xact #s.

Flip

Couldn't you parallel 2 pumps together as long as both pressure reliefs set similarly?
remember man that thy are dust.

flip

I think ya'd need about 8 of 'em-  the manual says 1.6gpm at 1560psi.   :o

I even went so far as to calculate it if a smaller pulley were put on the best you could get would be about 6 gpm, if you could find a pulley to press on the shaft.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

DanG

You could make it work, but it would be a slow dump.  Of course, that beats a shovel, any day! :D :D :D

The biggest problem would be adding some fluid capacity.  That little bitty tank only holds a quart or so.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Rockn H

If you can find one, get the power steering pump off of an old combine.  I had one on a wrecker once that I used to run the hydralics on the bed.  I put a clutch off of an A/C compressor on it so I could turn the pump off when I didn't need it.  Worked as good as a store bought one.

dail_h

This all started with an article I read in Mother Earth News years ago,they added an auxillary tank ,but I don't remember how or where. I'ain't bout no shevel,want it for firewood.
      Volume Discount At ER

highpockets

Dail_H

I am not sure just what you need in hydraulic pump but I am running a .256 c.i.d. pump off a 4 h.p. honda engine.  This gives me about 4 g.p.m. at 3,600 r.p.m.  I have a remote throttle located by my controlls so I can slow the engine down to reduce the flow.  What I find is that I have plenty of volume for every operation.  My mill has eight hydraulic circuits which does everything hydraulically except the toe board.  I notice that the highest pressure I have is in the actually loader.  I can saw 24" x 24' long. I will get some 1,500 lbs of pressure coming off the rack lifting the log.  I am running 2 ea. 2 1/2 x 12" cylinders.   What I have found is that with too much flow, one has a problem slowing down the feed. 

Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Thank You Sponsors!