iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak? Or something else?

Started by towboat88, March 28, 2020, 02:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

towboat88

Is this a oak of some sort?

stavebuyer

White Ash killed by the EAB. Emerald Ash Borer. China's gift to our Ash trees.

WDH

I am in the Mr. Stavebuyer camp.  Definitely ash. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

towboat88

I was thinking it could be but it's not like the other ash on my property. An it has a oak smell if that makes sense. It also didn't have a single hole in bark like the other ash do around here. The picture makes it look more grayish than it actually is but it could be. When I go get the rest of the tree I'll take more pictures an post them.

towboat88

towboat88

Haven't cut it yet. The but end is around 40inc though 

WV Sawmiller

I'm in total agreement on the ash. Sure looks like mine here. When I saw ash I often get what I describe of as an old honey smell. Back when we still had bee trees that would survive over the winters I used to occasionally locate them based on the same smell. In fact when sawing I often have honeybees buzzing around the fresh cut boards if sawing during warm calm days. I use a 4 degree DH blade when I cut ash.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

towboat88

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on March 28, 2020, 07:33:39 PM
  I'm in total agreement on the ash. Sure looks like mine here. When I saw ash I often get what I describe of as an old honey smell. Back when we still had bee trees that would survive over the winters I used to occasionally locate them based on the same smell. In fact when sawing I often have honeybees buzzing around the fresh cut boards if sawing during warm calm days. I use a 4 degree DH blade when I cut ash.
Been using ripper37s in 7degree on some redoak an it's doing good. Not sure how I'll cut it yet been thinking about some dimensional Lumber for the inside of a shed I'll be working on this next fall.

WV Sawmiller

I like ash but it has several traits to watch for. It is bad to end check so I anchorseal the logs immediately when I buck them to length. It is very straight grained and splits easily so you are well advised to pre-drill the lumber before nailing. It often has stress depending on where it grew and such and the cant may tend to rise up off the bed rails. Also PP beetles love it so don't be surprised to see lots of little gray holes around the outer edges of the log as well as the EAB tracks under the bark. Oh yeah, it can gum up your blades so use plenty of lube when sawing to keep the blades clean. Good luck. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

low_48

It has to have medullary rays to be an oak.

WDH

Also the twigs and leaves are opposite on the stem in ash but alternate in oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kantuckid

I vote ash!
The tipped over tree pic is all too common for the past several years of 100 year rains experienced in the eastern forests! I have one forest road blocked now and maybe more trees on past that one, as rains have persisted recently frustrating outside work.  Mature trees on our thin hillside soils is a recipe for tipovers.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!