iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lunch with Paul Harvey

Started by jd540b, February 28, 2017, 06:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jd540b

Just read a story about him and got thinking back how for years I would time lunch so I could sit in the truck and listen to "and now you know the rest of the story..." sometimes I would leave the hitch hanging from the skidder if I was "running late"!  Just one of those silly things that were tied to logging back when it was more fun.  Seemed like always had more money and weren't on such a screech, could move pretty much anything you drug out of the woods... Wondering how many other guys remember that and did the same thing? 

sandsawmill14

i always did the same thing except i was driving fertilize or bulk feed truck at the time the bad thing is nobody could ever replace him :-\ one of the greatest storytellers of all time :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Logger RK

Used to do the same thing. I also hate to say,but when Me & two other guys Logged out of town & lived in a old school bus during the week,we had a little portable Tv. As a joke at noon we put a soap opera show on. After a few days we wouldn't miss a episode :D. I don't think i'v watched them since that summer though.  We were a little more layed back then I guess. Good thing they didn't have cell phones with video record back then. I still have The Old Bus. It's a Hunting Shack now. Every once in awhile I'll even tell My Boys a story or two of,The Old Bus Days. And how some of the bullet holes got in it ;D

petefrom bearswamp

I used good old Paul to tell me when lunch time was over.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

OntarioAl

I too used to listen to Paul at lunch in my truck at the skidway.
His "If I were the Devil" is well worth the read
Al
Al Raman

sawguy21

I made a point of catching his broadcasts, a great story teller. I miss him. Earl Nightingale and Our Changing World came on after the 5:30 news, I never wanted to miss that either.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tareece

Some of the best times with my dad was spent listening to Paul while working on our cars...
   Paul Harvey had a way of distilling the news and digging out the real truth about the subject...
Todd Reece
Lover of many things. Experienced in most... expert in few

scsmith42

I used to listen to him daily when I was living on a ranch in west Texas.  It was one of the highlights of the day.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

thecfarm

Seem like on the way to work we listen to him?? Kinda forgot what time now. There would be 4 of us in a car.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

newoodguy78

I can vividly remember as a kid riding with one of my uncles plowing and he'd be listening to him. I also remember every time the wipers went back and forth the radio would go in and out but we always got the rest of the story  :D :D

ohiowoodchuck

I grew up listening to him with my grandpa during lunch. I don't think we missed a news cast in the day. I don't think there will ever be anyone like him.
Education is the best defense against the media.

Roundhouse

Every day on the big old Blue Bird bus our driver would have Paul Harvey on. Of course we were "too cool" back then, but we listened. By 7th grade we could all do an uncanny impression, at least we thought so. "Good day!"
Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Peter Drouin

That was always a good time lessening to him.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

SwampDonkey

Being along the border with the State of Maine, literally the fields and woods of the farm touch onto Maine, you could not help hear him on any ABC affiliate in Maine. ;D 

Then when salmon fishing with grandfather on the river near Fredericton, N.B. we always listened to CFNB with the voice of Jack Fenety at the mic on "Fact and Fancy", from which he retired in '88. He was Elected President of the Miramichi Salmon Association Inc. in 1961 and held office 35 years.  He was very much dedicated to Atlantic salmon conservation. In 2005 he was appointed a Member of the Order of Canada. Another great radio personality. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ed_K

I had totally forgot Paul Harvey. Late 70s early 80s doing terrace building in the wheat fields of Wichita Falls Tx. What a long time ago  :o . Thanks for bringing back some great memory's  8) .
Ed K

Old Line State

My Uncle introduced me to Paul Harvey in the 1980s.  I loved his voice and stories.

Thank You Sponsors!