iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Getting Logs for the WM

Started by 123maxbars, February 25, 2018, 04:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I got a call last week about a Cherry tree that was taken down and some Elm and Poplar also. I get calls a lot like this from home owners who have arborist take them down in in people's yards.  Most people don't want heavy equipment (bodcat, tractors) messing up their yards so my Log Rite ATV arch is always a hit with those folks. Anyways I took the arch out Friday and transported the logs to my trailer. This also gave me a chance to try out my new Portable Winch.  Up until now I have been using a hand crank winch in situations like this which worked, but also made for a long day.  The winch has a 50cc Honda engine and is rated to pull 2,200 on a straight line pull. Could easily double that with some snatch blocks.  The winch worked great and I got the logs loaded in no time. I am going back tomorrow to get the poplar and the elm. I made a video showing the winch and the days work. Also gave me a good reason to use my new drone. Thought I would share with you guys on here, 

IF YOU OWN A SAWMILL YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS VIDEO! TOOLS FOR SMALL SCALE URBAN LOGGING, - YouTube
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

firefighter ontheside

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

I did not catch where you got the winch from, capacity or cost but I agree - I need one. Where did you get it? Make, model, cost, etc?

As to the limbs/knots hanging on the trailer if that is a common problem you might put a roller (Pipe, post, cut off top, etc) cross ways under the front of the log then winch it up. That will give it extra height and reduce resistance and even allow you to move a bigger log. If you are using rollers to move one a long distance use 3 rollers with one in front, 1 in middle and one at the end. As the log rolls off the end move it to the front. We've moved heavy granite slabs long distances using a couple of 2X12 boards for track and 3 pieces of pipe and push with a long spud type bar. 

I hope that was an ivy vine not poison ivy BTW. I could not determine if it was a hairy beast from what I saw.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

loganworks2

Check them out www.portablewinch.com 

firefighter ontheside

I was thinking the same thing about the poison ivy.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Bruno of NH

Nathan
Would a steel roller added to the back of you trailer help in loading ?
In the 80's the lumber yard trucks in my area didn't dump they had a roller on the back and the driver turned it with a ratchet and the load rolled off on to the ground.
They went away by way of the insurance man :D
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Darrel

I watched the video on YouTube before I read this thread. Great video!  I really like capstan wenches. They are very safe and effective. 
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

123maxbars

That was good old Ivy, but sometimes I get lucky and it doesn't effect me much,

I plan on getting a roller of some sorts for helping get the logs started on the trailer.

The winch runs around 1500$, it can straight line pull 2200 lbs, So far its been a good 
tool to have, looking forward to taking it into the forest and using it to help pull my fetching arch, 
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: 123maxbars on February 25, 2018, 08:42:56 PM
That was good old Ivy, ...
Nathan,

Not clear to me - was it ornamental ivy or poison ivy?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

You will know by the time you take a bath tonight :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DR_Buck

The Logrite arch in combination with any kind of winch is a huge plus in recovering yard logs.    I've been using that method for quite a few years now.  

New - 3 Wheeled LogRite Arch in General Board 
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Chop Shop

For that kinda money or less, you could have a Warn 8274.    Way faster pull.  Way stronger pull.   No gas, no pulling a start rope.  

I regularly pull 24-36"x8-16' cedar logs on to my trailer with mine.

Cuz remember, time is monies!  ;)

starmac

I have a couple of the warns, and they are very good and rebuildable too, but not near as versatile as a gas, chainsaw winch. Just different uses.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

WV Sawmiller

I'm with Starmac on this one. I can easily see using a gas winch in the woods pulling from tree to tree till I get to a landing. With a trailer/equipment mounted electric winch you can't do that as easily. Plus it looks to me to be easier to refill a gas tank than recharge a battery.
Howard Green

Wallys World

My trailer has a similar metal piece going across the deck. I carry a piece of roofing tin and let the log slide on that across the strip. Just lay it down and roll the log on it , chain up and pull away. It doesn't have to be too long, enough to go over both strips. Cheap, easy fix! I have a 4500 pound Superwinch on the front of the trailer.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Kbeitz

I have gas and electric. Both have there place. I you using it a lot then gas is the way to go. Electric is hard on batterys.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

clintnelms

Quote from: 123maxbars on February 25, 2018, 04:53:03 PM
I got a call last week about a Cherry tree that was taken down and some Elm and Poplar also. I get calls a lot like this from home owners who have arborist take them down in in people's yards.  Most people don't want heavy equipment (bodcat, tractors) messing up their yards so my Log Rite ATV arch is always a hit with those folks. Anyways I took the arch out Friday and transported the logs to my trailer. This also gave me a chance to try out my new Portable Winch.  Up until now I have been using a hand crank winch in situations like this which worked, but also made for a long day.  The winch has a 50cc Honda engine and is rated to pull 2,200 on a straight line pull. Could easily double that with some snatch blocks.  The winch worked great and I got the logs loaded in no time. I am going back tomorrow to get the poplar and the elm. I made a video showing the winch and the days work. Also gave me a good reason to use my new drone. Thought I would share with you guys on here,

IF YOU OWN A SAWMILL YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS VIDEO! TOOLS FOR SMALL SCALE URBAN LOGGING, - YouTube

I didn't know you were on here. Love your videos. Watch them all the time. Keep up the good work!

123maxbars

outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

the reason I went with the gas over the battery/trailer mounted was in the name it's self, It is portable, cant lug a battery powered one into the woods etc,  I have used it twice now and can't be without it,

Glad you guys liked the video, I really enjoy making them, 
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Scottasheppard

The portable has its advantages. Hence the word portable. I can snatch a 30x20 foot log like a tooth pick if I can get to it with my bad land 12000 lb winch but I only have 50' of cable. Nathan u can take that thing any where. I stresses my altanator so bad on my last load it was putting out 16.5 amps. Next purchase will be 2 1000amp  deep cycle rv batteries lucky the Chevy z71 comes stock with Bosch 160amp alternator. For smaller logs u can't go wrong with the portable and with a snatch block u can go bigger.

Aka Porkie

Weatherby

Nathan,
I like all your videos.  This one has me thinking seriously of buying the portable winch.  It will pay for itself on that otherwise inaccessible downed tree in the woods. 

terrifictimbersllc

I have the same portable capstan winch with the honda engine, got it with my logrite fetching arch.  I think logrite sold them at the time not sure.  It's a great winch.  Pull a log with your little finger on the rope if you want,.

I wouldn't want  to have the rope break when pulling. Definitely could be an eye hazard if not worse. I suppose any recoil or whiplash would depend on what kind of rope.   I always wear a chainsaw helmet and keep the customer way off from the line of pull. The rope I have is in good condition and I am not very afraid of it breaking as in my experience the winch stalls out if the load is too great for it.  But look out, just saying.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Darrel

It's is my understanding that if you use the recommended rope, double braided I think it is, that there is very little recoil if/when the rope brakes. I've seen these winches used but never seen the rope brake so I still would stand to the side.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Kbeitz

You can buy special rope that has no recoil but it's expensive. 
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!