iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Calculator

Started by Darrel, November 29, 2015, 02:03:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrel

I've been looking for an app for my iPad to that will calculate board footage, both log scale and finished product. The only thing that I found in the App Store is "Sawmill Calculator" by Grant Erickson.  I downloaded the free version to check it out and I'm not smart enough to figure it out and there's no documentation to help me.  While for $4.00 the pro version does offer a bit more, without documentation, I'd still come up empty handed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks
Darrel
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Magicman

@PostonLT40HD uses some sort of phone app.  (looks like the notify thingy is not working)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

flatrock58

I have Board Feet easy calculator on my phone.  It is free and does an Ok job.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Theo

Norwood have one and Micapeak 

Theo
HUD-SON and Range-Road & KASCO Canada Dealer

Darrel

The one I'm trying to use is from micapeak but there is no documentation. To me it is useless unless I can figure out how to use it.
1992 LT40HD

Jeff

The forum toolbox mobile view has several calcs.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom the Sawyer

Darrell,

I have used both of MicaPeak's products.  Other than the "About" section, there isn't much but I would be glad to try to answer any questions.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2015, 02:18:15 PM
@PostonLT40HD uses some sort of phone app.  (looks like the notify thingy is not working)

I just got your notification Magic.

I use Sawmill Calculator App. Its fast.
I also use the FF Calculator when fractions are needed.

I like to use the FF Cal. when giving quotes. I can enter my info at the mill and print it at home at the same time from my iPhone.
I've been trying to get Magicman to throw away that obsolete flip phone he has and get a smart phone.  :D :D
One day the Solenoid is gonna go bad in it and they don't make them anymore.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Here is a screen shot of the Sawmill Calculator App I use at the mill.

I just put my finger on the dot and slide it to the desired number. Thickness x width x length and then the quantity.

It also lets you figure top to bottom cant sawing and what your last board will be depending on kerf.
I don't use it as I had already learned my kerf and starting positions before I found this app.

I also use an app.....if a customer has a standing tree, he can give me the circumference and then I give him the diameter and the board footage based on length. A lot of potential customers will call and give you what they think is the diameter but in reality, they are giving you the circumference.

The Forestry Forum Calculator has about everything you can think of on it pertaining to logs and trees.

Darrel

Thanks for the replies. I played with it a bit more and figuured out that the cut list is from middle to outside without turning the log. The board foot calculator is good but the cut list is not worth much because if I cut 1" slabs starting top to bottom, I'd get everything on the list without taking the time to punch in the numbers.

I'll check out the calculators on the forum.
Thanks
1992 LT40HD

Magicman

QuoteI've been trying to get Magicman to throw away that obsolete flip phone he has and get a smart phone. 
Soon because I need something to check the weather.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redprospector

Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2015, 09:17:03 PM
QuoteI've been trying to get Magicman to throw away that obsolete flip phone he has and get a smart phone. 
Don't do it!
It's a trap!  :o :o :o
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Magicman

That has indeed been my suspicion.   :o

Tom the Sawyer

Darrell,

MicaPeak has versions for Android and iPhones, which work the same way (see PostonLT40HD's screen grabs).   I didn't understand a couple of your comments:

1.    "the cut list is from the middle to the outside without turning the log."

The cut list generates the calculated starting height above the deck in order to minimize waste, whether all boards are of the same thickness (Flitch Remaining = None) or if you wish to end up with a different thickness on the deck (Flitch Remaining = whatever thickness you want, say 6" for a beam).  The starting height would be the same, whether you saw all of the way down, or if you flip the cant 180 degrees (stress, or to center the pith).

2.    "the cut list is not worth much because if I cut 1" slabs starting top to bottom, I'd get everything on the list without taking the time to punch in the numbers."

Are you including your saw kerf?  If you have a cant 16" tall, and a 1/8" kerf, it calculates that your first cut should be at 15 5/8" and that you would get 14 - 1" thick boards.  The real benefit is when you cut your 4/4 at 1 1/16" or 1 1/8", it makes those calculations for you, reducing errors.  If you are using a visual 1/4 scale which has the kerf figured in then you should "get everything on the list", unless you need to get different thicknesses from the cant.

I don't use it for my first two opening cuts.  I primarily am seeking a face clean enough to make a good board (and often orienting the most desirable "live" face).  I use the program to calculate where to make the opening cut on the face opposite the face on the deck.  If I am taking 5/4 boards (1 3/8") down to a 4" mantle from a cant 20" tall, I start at 19" - makes it pretty simple.

Like most software, the quality of the information you enter will determine the quality of the information you get from the program (GI-GO).
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.

drobertson

The apps are pretty neat, but what about a scale stick and sawing logs?  just asking, it has seemed to me that even the best app is at best a good average at the end of the day.. unless the logs are primo,   lots of button pushing, I don't know, just ranting,  please don't tell customsawyer I was ranting after a Broncos win over the Pats! 8)
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: redprospector on November 29, 2015, 10:11:59 PM
Quote from: Magicman on November 29, 2015, 09:17:03 PM
Don't do it!
It's a trap!  :o :o :o
A communist plot
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

slider

I guess my old flip phone makes me a relic as well.
al glenn

Outer Rondacker

Quote from: slider on November 30, 2015, 07:43:53 AM
I guess my old flip phone makes me a relic as well.
Wondering what that makes me since the only phone I own has a cord on it. ???

Tom the Sawyer

drobertson,

I bought a International 1/4" scale stick to try out (Logrite, of course).  Unfortunately, the logs I mill don't come in two foot increments.  I also buy logs and would need to buy a stick with the Doyle scale.  The app, on the other hand, takes any length I enter, calculates in several common scales at a touch, keeps a record of what I have scaled, and will email a copy to me and anyone else I choose.  It even gives me log weight estimates based upon the species at the same time.  All for $2.99 - SawlogCalc Pro (they do have a trial version with a few limitations but free).

mobile sawmill services

whats wrong with the good old fashioned tape measure, pencil and paper, and a cheap calculator, this will give you the most accurate figures, and with practice, you will soon be able to look at a log, and with a quick length measurement, a couple of dia's, you will be able to do a pretty accurate guestimate based on your own sawing style, all the fancy apps are doing is taking the "learning curve" out of the equation, and it isnt that difficult.........just go for it, brain work keeps you on your toes  :P

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nothing is wrong with the sticks or tape measures.
I have the Doyle and the International stick and 9 tape measures.  :D

I just like apps.  :o

drobertson

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on November 30, 2015, 12:05:48 PM
drobertson,

I bought a International 1/4" scale stick to try out (Logrite, of course).  Unfortunately, the logs I mill don't come in two foot increments.  I also buy logs and would need to buy a stick with the Doyle scale.  The app, on the other hand, takes any length I enter, calculates in several common scales at a touch, keeps a record of what I have scaled, and will email a copy to me and anyone else I choose.  It even gives me log weight estimates based upon the species at the same time.  All for $2.99 - SawlogCalc Pro (they do have a trial version with a few limitations but free).
Tom, I'll tell you that's a lot cheaper than the price of a scale stick! with all the added functions and memory as well,, You bet they are handy, fact is, I'm a flip phone user too, I reckon I got jealous,, the only point I was trying to make is the logs still have to be measured, also I read into it that the op was wanting an app to show what lumber would come from the log, my misunderstanding,, I know one thing for sure, tallying by hand in the wind and sometimes rain is a pain..
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Tom the Sawyer

There is an alternative for those who don't have smart phones.  You can get an Android tablet for as little as $25.  They don't have high resolution screens or a bunch of advanced features but they communicate over WiFi, run apps like SawlogCalc or Sawmill Calculator, receive/send email, and you can even read the Forum or surf the web. No monthly access fees and, if you don't have WiFi, there are free hotspots at many businesses and restaurants including most McDonalds.  The one I use at the mill is an Azpen 10" that cost $50.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on December 01, 2015, 09:11:54 AM
..........including most McDonalds. 

Spend a lot of time at Mickey D's do ya Tom?  :D :D :D :D

drobertson

Thanks Tom, never gave this a thought, worth looking into for sure, we have wifi, and did have a pretty good egg mc muffin just today, they made a mistake, or as Christy said, I mumbled,, probably more the case, but, it was the best ham and egg mc muffin I ever had ;D  worse part of this morning was sending Bret back to California,, and when I got back the temps had dropped below freezing and yes, my strainer cracked, I forgot my windshield fluid,

Tom the Sawyer

"Spend a lot of time at Mickey D's do ya Tom?  :D :D :D :D "

Actually no, but they have a strong wifi signal and when I gas up across the street my tablet will pick up the signal and update all of the emails I missed while away from home.  I don't really miss them since my phone also downloads them over 4G LTE if no wifi is available.

With all the Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales I saw several Android tablets of various sizes for less than $30.

Jeff

Perhaps not the wisest thing to do, connecting to that Mcdonalds, or any other unsecured wifi connection in this day and age.

A quick google search

submarinesailor

I find one of these, Construction Master 5, to be very handy when sawing.  Particularly when working on a manual mill without any type of set works.  Allows me to calculate cant size including the kerf.

They are on sale at:  https://www.calculated.com/31/prd283/Construction-Master-5-Clearance.html.  Notice the free shipping to CONUS.

Bruce

granterickson

I just found this forum and wanted to say thanks for all the help folks are giving. I am the author of the Sawmill Calculator App. I have gotten a few documentation comments. Would a YouTube video giving a walk through be helpful? Are there other things I could do to help?

OffGrid973

Well Starbucks always has a good signal, you can caffeine up and magic can even stare up to the sky using the free app god gave us (yes eyes) and see what's a coming.  Smart or flip or corded not necessary :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Magicman

Quote from: granterickson on November 09, 2016, 03:59:02 PMI am the author of the Sawmill Calculator App.
Welcome to the Forestry Forum, granterickson.  I have the Sawmill Calculator Pro on my I5.  Thank You Sir.   smiley_thumbsup

I also have "Bartlett Tree Experts: Green Log Weight Chart" and "Anthony Forest Products: Span Calculator".  These three Apps are handy to me because I often do not have cell/internet service.

I have had occasions to need a green lumber weight calculator when I did not have cell service.  That would be a welcomed addition to the Sawmill Calculator.

pinefeller

how bout a scaling stick and a lumber rule? dont even need electricity and customers will be in awe of you, for knowing how to decipher it ;D
for those who say "it cannot be done!" please do so quietly so as not to disturb those who are doing it.

fishfighter

Quote from: submarinesailor on December 01, 2015, 04:21:37 PM
I find one of these, Construction Master 5, to be very handy when sawing.  Particularly when working on a manual mill without any type of set works.  Allows me to calculate cant size including the kerf.

They are on sale at:  https://www.calculated.com/31/prd283/Construction-Master-5-Clearance.html.  Notice the free shipping to CONUS.

Bruce

Were are they located? Like to order one for  my SIL.

Jeff

This topic is dancing all around the forum rules.

OffGrid973

That last comment may have Trumped them all :)
Your Fellow Woodworker,
- Off Grid

Jeff

The deal is we have sponsors that support the forum. If they want to do market research, it is done via a paid for sponsor board  but not on an open forum.  It's one thing for a member to say hey!  I found this handy app, it might be of use to you, but this topic has went way beyond that.

Thank You Sponsors!