iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lt 40 head up and down problem

Started by Callaway1702, November 06, 2016, 08:32:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callaway1702

I have a 2001 Lt 40 super with 3600 hours. I got it out yesterday afternoon to cut some red oak logs. I went to start it and it turned over slow but started. Put a charge to the battery for a little over an hour and went to saw with it. Started out working alright with the head up and down. After getting all set up and making my first cut, I got to the end I could not raise the head. My accusett screen goes blank for several seconds and I get a really dim battery light flashing real fast. Eventually the head will move but does it on every cut on either end. Does anyone have any ideas.  I have the Kubota 42 hp diesel and the original accusett. Thanks

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm guessing a new battery would solve the problem.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

What is the voltage reading on the battery and then what is the voltage reading with the engine running?

Your battery should read at least 12.6 volts.  With the engine running it should be above 14 volts and closer to 14.5.

I added this digital voltmeter so that I would always know.  This is before starting the engine. (12.6)

And with the engine idling.  (14.6)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

slider

Low voltage will cause the accusett to act up.I would make sure all the grounds are good as well.
al glenn

terrifictimbersllc

I agree you probably need a new battery.  I have the same year mill as yours with almost the same hours, upgraded to Accuset2, which has battery voltage in the diagnostics menu.  Don't remember if original Accuset did.  Also agree that if you haven't in the last few years, take apart the connections in the little solenoid/fuse box to the right of the battery, brighten everything up with sandpaper and put it back together.  Also check that your ground button that rides on the bottom of the rail is tight against it and in good shape.

I'm on my 5th battery as of a month ago, NAPA 7235, 1125 CCA, https://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/NBE7235/   It's made by East Penn.   The less expensive and electorally smaller NAPA 7237( 960 CCA ) is more commonly in stock but NAPA got me in the 7235 the same morning from their warehouse.

My first 4 batteries were Carquest 31HDP30, also East Penn, maybe same as NAPA 7235,  but I had trouble finding this one again this time around.  It comes up online at Advance Auto/Carquest but I couldn't order it online as it was out of stock everywhere,  and on the phone several Carquest dealers said they couldn't get it. 

Good luck a new battery for the winter will make everything go better and reduce unnecessary wear on your motors especially the hydraulics.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

drobertson

Agree, replace battery with a new one, don't run the mill until you do.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

red

We like AGM Batteries . . absorbed glass mat , not many places stock them. But usually one day to get . Even home depot can order one for you.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Callaway1702

Thanks for the info. I hopefully can get to work on it Tue evening and check the voltage and the grounding. I am going to go with a new battery also. Will let you know what I find.

drobertson

One really important issue I forgot to mention, make sure the alternator is charging! Hate to buy a battery when it had no help.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

It has to be putting out close to 14.5 volts with the engine at idle.

Operating anything at low voltage will cook something that you can not eat.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Percy

Quote from: Magicman on November 07, 2016, 04:46:49 PM

Operating anything at low voltage will cook something that you can not eat.   :-\
:D :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Callaway1702

My battery is at 12.4 volts and my alternator is putting out 14.7 volts. My battery has 950 CCA.   MM, on your digital voltmeter, what did you hook into to get your power for it?  I'm going to get a battery. Voltage drops off fairly quickly when put under a load with engine not running.

Magicman

If I am following your question; I am measuring from the frame to the output of the alternator.  That wire goes directly to the battery, so it would be the exact same.

Callaway1702

Thanks for all the information, I changed the battery and checked connections and it's working like it is supposed to. Voltage is at 14.6 at the alternator and at the battery.

KirkD

On an old battery static voltage does not mean you have amperage.
Wood-mizer LT40HD-G24 Year 1989

Peter Drouin

Best way for me is buying a new battery every year.
On my supper the battery takes a beating. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 11, 2016, 05:14:09 AM
Best way for me is buying a new battery every year.
On my supper the battery takes a beating. :D :D

I love people like you...
I have not bought a new battery in 40 years... I just go to the junkyard
and look for your old battery.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

Kbeitz,

What would you do other than flush it out with baking soda and water and refill with battery acid. Charge it and go.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Kbeitz

Quote from: Peter Drouin on November 11, 2016, 08:32:01 PM
Kbeitz,

What would you do other than flush it out with baking soda and water and refill with battery acid. Charge it and go.

No flushing... I just go to the large pile of batteries with a short chunk of wire
and start scratching the neg and pos post. When I find one that burns the end
of the wire off that's the one that goes home with me. I have 27 things right now
that I can think of that takes 12 volt full size batteries. Most batteries only last
4-5 years. That means that I need to find replacement for around 4 things every year.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Peter Drouin

If you clean like I said it would last longer.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Gary_C

Before you check this off as problem solved, you should check the slide rails on the head up and down and make sure they are not rusty and are well lubed. A mill that has set for a long time can rust on the non painted part on the uprights and cause a high current draw on the battery when you raise or lower the head.

Take some emery cloth and clean up those rails and get some lube on them.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!