iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new log trailer

Started by mrfu, November 11, 2016, 06:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrfu

Hi All
Long time lurker but have found a wealth of information on this site.
Just finished a log trailer for use behind my tractor. 3rd time out I accidentally put all the weight of the loader on it and broke a weld, so I reinforced where the axle cross piece meet the main frame and all is well, kinda thought it was a weak design but I was mostly going of pictures from the internet for my design.
thanks for looking
Tom

larrydown60

Thanks for sharing, your work is beautiful, really nice looking trailer. I really like it

esteadle

;DNice. Have you put all the weight of your loader on it again since you beefed it up? I was thinking that you could maybe mirror the triangles on the back side. It looks sturdy enough for a good load of White Oak though. ;-o

Davek603

Woodmizer LT50 and lots of iron to go with it

Kbeitz

So what is the leg in the back for ? Looks like something that would hang up the trailer in a low spot ?
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Dakota

I'm guessing it's so he can unhook it from the tow vehicle while loaded, and not worry about it standing on end.  My 02 cents.  That's going to be a handy trailer for snaking around the woods. Good job.
Dave Rinker

Skip

Be my guess too. pretty handy, good lookin trailer, nice job.

Brad_bb

So how will you load it?  Is this just for your property or will to be taking it elsewhere?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

shop guy

2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

mrfu

Thanks for the great comments.
the green thing on the end is a brace to keep the front from popping up.
After it broke I added the two diagonal square tubes that run between the main tube and the outer ends of the axle support, I also added some 1/4 by 1 strapping under the axle support for strength.
I use it on my own property and load and tow it with my tractor. I have found that if I can't lift a log with my tractor it is too big to deal with on my mill
Tom

shop guy

2015 dodge Cummins 4x4 crew, t590 & 763 bobcat with hydraulic breaker, 1 woman, 1 baby girl, 3 dogs and a shop.

Blessed!!

God is great, beer is good....and people are crazy.

Rural

Not near as pretty as the trailer pictured above but after 8 years of very hard use I can say my trailer is 'beefy' having had it loaded up to the top of the side bars with hardwood. It is made from 2 x 2 x1/4 square tubing with full size wheels that are are set in so us not to wrap em around a tree on our narrow trails. Logs are loaded by directly winching over the back of the trailer up a removable ramp. Not fancy but functional!

samandothers

Nice trailers guys!  Thanks for sharing.

thecfarm

I skid some,and trailer some. The trailer is much easier on the woods. Does not leave marks going only 3-4 times in the same place.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!