iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Twitching hauling or whatever a few loads

Started by Quebecnewf, March 02, 2009, 05:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Here are a few photos we took a few days ago. Hauling conditions are just starting to get good and now we have another snow/rain storm coming in tonight

Quebecnewf

sprucebunny

Looks like beautiful weather that day  8)

Thanks for the pictures !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

CLL

Quebecnewf, how many board feet can you haul at a time? Is it firewood or logs? Seems like it could be an expensive to haul.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Kevin

Fun can be expensive, I've bought my fair share of it.  :D

beenthere

CLL
You might enjoy going back to read some of quebecnewf's posts that tell about his logging experiences and his mill he uses to make lumber.  :)
Many interesting tales to read about. Not the least is figuring out how to cross the "ice" and how to keep it from moving away when it is needed. 
:)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pasbuild

Man I though I worked hard for my logs but you make me look like a sissy  :o
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

ErikC

We all ahve differnt ways and viewpoints, but I think all could agree no one wants their logs more than Quebecnewf.

8) 8)

Way to go
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Quebecnewf

You mean your supposed to make money doing this?

Quel suprise??????

I do make money at it but not much.
The main reason for doing this is not the money as the saying goes a day in the woods "priceless"

Quebecnewf

Don K

Quote from: Quebecnewf on March 03, 2009, 11:05:33 AM
You mean your supposed to make money doing this?

Quel suprise??????

I do make money at it but not much.
The main reason for doing this is not the money as the saying goes a day in the woods "priceless"

Quebecnewf

;D I bet you wait all summer just thinking about the sea ice forming. A lot of people in the northern climates probably are happy to see the ice and snow go, but it probably makes you sad :(

Thanks for the pics.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Quebecnewf

Don K

This is true we spend many hours in late Dec and Early Jan watching the ice bridge form that links us to the mainland. At that time of year the weather forcast is studied in minute detail every time it is updated.

In Dec of 2007 on the 24th we had  the ice bridge in place but still not thick enough to cross. We had a gale of wind from the SW in the morning and a heavy rain. The large floating rope  (6" dia) we had in place was holding everything until around 11:30 am when the strain became too great and it parted. Within 30 min all the ice was broken and gone on the wind and tide. It was a very sad Christmas eave present.

The next day Christmas Day. I went on the top of the island to have a look and resign my self to the fact that the rope was busted and could not be rejoined as we figured it had probaly swept ashore and was now frozen to the shoreline.

After a long hard look I could see what I thought was the end of the rope floating free and being swept back out to the island side .

Needless to say I quickly drove back down into the village rounded up a few guys in two outboard boats and we went in to check it out. Now I must remind you this was Christmas afternoon and some of these guys were in high spirits.

When we got in back of the island one boat went and picked up one end of the rope and the other boat got the other end and we drove them towards each and as soon as we met we tied a very large knot and let everything go as fast as possibe.Remember this is 6" dia rope so a knot is a big thing. Within a few moments of letting go the tide struck and you could not have lifted that rope out of the water if you wanted to.

After it was all said and done Christmas eave was sad but Christmas day was good.

We crossed the ice on the 28th of Dec for the first time that year. it was 5" thick so you had to go at a brisk clip at first.

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!