iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

fire chief FC 1700

Started by OH logger, November 22, 2017, 07:49:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OH logger

our local wood stove shop sells these add ons. I was thinkin of putting one in my 42'X80'X 17' tall fully concreted pole barn. the furnace would go in about the middle of the long wall.  it is insulated all around with 3" steel building style insulation with no ceiling but 3 ceiling fans. if I ran I a couple ducts to different areas of the building would it keep it around 50 degrees pretty consistently?? also if anyone has this model stove are they good quality and durable and dependable???  I know a ceiling would help but the fans should do something and they are already in place. I can load it when I leave in the morning and when I get back home from the woods (13 or hours).
john

snowstorm

i dont see how you could ever heat it without insulation in the ceiling. if it has a steel roof that will frost on the inside then drip when it warms up. what i used on my garage was 3" by 4x8 foam it has a fiberglass coating made by firestone. and screwed that to the trusses. when i built it 20 yrs ago no one said to put plastic under the steel. the condensation rotted some of the strapping. so this summer when i added on 20 ft we toke the old steel off and put plastic under that also

OH logger

well the roof is insulated with the same insulation as the walls have. but I just don't have a  ceiling (at the bottom of the trusses) that's insulated. I should've been more clearer. does that change anything?? I would think it would. also our winters are not as bad as maine winters. we rarely get down to zero. 10 degrees is pretty darn cold here. right now I have one of those Val 6 (I think they are called) heaters. they run on diesel its basically a infared heater. if I leave it on overnight it will keep it around 40 in the morning. but it guzzles diesel. I'm just lookin for somethin made to run all the time and use wood (I have plenty around) and have a thrmostat
john

TKehl

Woodcutter_MO has one, but I don't know if its installed yet.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,98332.0.html

As for heating the building, it will depend on how air tight it is and how much/often you want to feed the stove.

Can you calculate the BTU output for your diesel heater?  This should give an idea what would be needed from a wood stove.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

OH logger

117,000 btus for the diesel heater and 170,000 for the wood furnace. I want to feed it in the morning when I go to the woods and not again till evening when I get home...if that's possible
john

Thank You Sponsors!