iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WoodMizer ceramic disk question

Started by Jim_Rogers, May 01, 2010, 11:24:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Recently, I broke one of my ceramic disks.
I removed half of it while changing a blade and ran for a while with just half in there.
Last blade change the second half was loose and I removed it.

Being that I was concerned about the round metal cup that the disk sets in being damaged if I ran the blade without the disk, I removed the block that holds the disk cup and ran the mill without the disk, to get the current job done.

Here are my questions.
When you get a replacement disk, do you get the cup and the bracket that holds the cup? or do you just get the disk and have to glue it into the cup?
I want to clean up the cup if I have to, in advance to be ready.

Did they change the type of disk since they came out in 02?

Has anyone got any pictures of the newer set up? or is it still the same.

Thanks,

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

Jim, I've been wondering about the disks in the "High Performance" blade roller guides!

They were installed on my mill when I bought it, used, 2 years ago.

Been working ok, but there are a couple of cracks in the ceramic disks, but they are still "all" there!

Don't really know if the "high performance" blade roller guides really have an advantage.

Quite a while back, I read "here" on the Forestry Forum that the ceramic disk was replaced with a material similar to brake pads.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to contact Wood-Mizer.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Ceramic disc or guides have been replaced with another type of High Performance guide. The Ceramic disc was creating coil set in the blades if not matained correctly. There have been two revisions or changes since we used the ceramics. FIrst change was a break lining type of material and now we are using a alloy.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

Marty, any idea what the cost would be to get the new kit to replace the ceramic?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

MartyParsons

Wear Block 052367 available 10/07 and provided as standard 4/09. EZ-Glide Block 036247 available for customers who prefer this block. Wear Block 052366 available for optional use with 1 1/2" blades.
052367 $13.25
052366 $15.65
036247 $23.88  there are replacement blocks that can be glued in. I have not found any expoxy or glue to hold these in. That is why they changed to the metal 052367 block. They last a long time and can be ground if they are worn to a taper.
Hope this helps.
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Chuck White

Hilltop366

Just wondering what it is you guys are talking about, is it the blade guides? If so are they still roller guides or are they flat guides ?  Thanks

MartyParsons

Roller guides with a protection guide on the bottom. WM called them High Performance blades guides.
Marty

Hilltop366

OK thanks.

So just to be clear it has the roller on top of the blade like normal and and a flat guide under the blade like this O

At first when I read this thread I thought the roller guide had a ring of ceramic near the outer edge to stop them from wearing to a taper, now I know better thanks again.

Chuck White

The roller itself looks just like a standard roller guide.

The disc we're talking about come up flat from the bottom to within 1/8" of the blade.

Although, I don't understand what Marty calls "coil set".  I never heard the term.

DR Buck

I switched to the new metal guides last year.  They work fine.   I have one new unused ceramic guide if someone needs it.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

MartyParsons

Coil set is when you remove the blade from the mill and lay it on the ground and it will coil on its own.Usually comes from the blade getting hot on one side.

Jim_Rogers

Marty:
Thanks for all your advice one this subject.
If I got my guides with my retrofit kit back in 02 should I use: 052367?

And if only one is broken should I replace both?

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

MartyParsons

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on May 03, 2010, 07:04:12 AM
Marty:
Thanks for all your advice one this subject.
If I got my guides with my retrofit kit back in 02 should I use: 052367?

And if only one is broken should I replace both?

Jim Rogers
You can puchase one 052367 and yes that will fit the retrofit high performance rollers back in 2002.
The Creamic worked well if you understood keeping the blade clean.
The clearance should be set at .008 to .010 with a feeler gauge.

Hope this helps!

Marty

Thank You Sponsors!