iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

R1 or R4 on tractor for clearing thorns

Started by FiddlinForester, April 24, 2019, 12:44:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FiddlinForester

I am cleaning up after a timber harvest and have lots of invasive plants to remove (Multi-flora rose, autumn olive, bush honeysuckle, and all manner of briars).  I have a Kubota L3430 that I'll be using for most of it.

My tractor came with turf tires, which are not going to go anywhere in my woods.  I am looking to change to R1 ag tires, or R4 industrial tires.  I am wondering if anyone has experience to know if R4 is any more puncture-resistant than R1.

Judging by the pictures I've seen in other topics, I think most of you live in R1's for the extra traction.  I had to replace tires on my old Ford tractor when rose thorns worked all the way through the tires and shredded the tube.

BargeMonkey

2x other people I know have the R4 tires on their Kubota tractors, we have the ag tires on our NHs. Personally I believe the ag tires would be more puncture resistant but I think in the woods either tire can catch a hole. The R4 ride nicer, easier to put chain on, not the same as far as traction and they SLIDE in the mud. You can buy a heavier grade tire in either one, you dont change rear tires much so the extra couple bucks is worth it for a good tire. 

dsgsr

R-4's (Industrial Tires) are best for areas you will need puncture resistances.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

Southside

Not the question you asked but that Autumn Olive is trying to help your soil there, also it's not cheap but if you foam filled your tires they would never puncture and would practically last forever.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

FiddlinForester

Quote from: Southside on April 24, 2019, 03:34:47 PM
that Autumn Olive is trying to help your soil there
I'm not sure about VA, but in Indiana, these are very invasive and have taken over vast sections of my woods.  After the timber harvest, they will be about all I'll have left if I do not get rid of them.

chevytaHOE5674

Both tires are equally as puncture resistant when comparing equal ply ratings. There is nothing spwcial about R4s that makes then more puncture proof. Buy the heaviest ply rating available in R1s if you want the best traction.

Also while the tires are off is a good time weld some protection over your valve stems. 

nativewolf

Quote from: FiddlinForester on April 24, 2019, 04:01:26 PM
I'm not sure about VA, but in Indiana, these are very invasive and have taken over vast sections of my woods.  After the timber harvest, they will be about all I'll have left if I do not get rid of them.
maybe sarcasm?  Autumn Olive is one of the worst things to find on your property.  Highly invasive, destroys all natives.  Lots of natives are good for soil such as redbud (good seed pods for wildlife, wonderful flowers), black locust, etc. 
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

I hate those DanG tires And I do mean hate. The only thing that I have found they are good far is they pack down an area real nice. They do not dig like the R4. I had a tractor with R1,than I got one with those DanG R4. Same area,I have problems on. I dig rocks on a small hill that is kinda wet,those Dang tires are useless. Yes,I can do it,but go in the same part 4-5 times and get down to mud and I  have to use the loader to back myself out. ::) Never had to do that with the R1. ;)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Quote from: nativewolf on April 24, 2019, 07:11:46 PM
Quote from: FiddlinForester on April 24, 2019, 04:01:26 PM
I'm not sure about VA, but in Indiana, these are very invasive and have taken over vast sections of my woods.  After the timber harvest, they will be about all I'll have left if I do not get rid of them.
maybe sarcasm?  Autumn Olive is one of the worst things to find on your property.  Highly invasive, destroys all natives.  Lots of natives are good for soil such as redbud (good seed pods for wildlife, wonderful flowers), black locust, etc.
Not sarcastic at all, it is a legume and is actually healing the soil via nitrogen fixation and shading to cool the soil while the microbes establish.  It is an indicator of poor soil, so yes it's not good to find it on your land, but it's there telling you your soil needs help, it's a symptom, not the cause.  Sort of a don't shoot the messenger moment.  I would rather find that than Broomsedge or Green Briar.  Find one that has been around for a couple of years and you will see grasses, forbes, etc all under it and then since the Autumn Olive only gets so big it eventually gets taken over.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

FiddlinForester

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on April 24, 2019, 05:07:17 PMAlso while the tires are off is a good time weld some protection over your valve stems.
Thank you for that suggestion - is there any chance you have a photo to post showing what works well for protection and still having access?

krusty

consider getting an old bombardier JW with solid tires. I am impressed how it clears my landing in the winter and more impressed what it can do to small brush 'issues' when there is no snow. Have come to the conclusion that it is good to keep the plow on year round :D

Thank You Sponsors!