iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl chainsaw help

Started by twoodward15, October 04, 2005, 01:57:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twoodward15

I'm looking at a Stihl MS 440 magnum on ebay.  It's throttle and throttle housing/handle are broken.  Is this an expensive part (over $150) and how much would a new cylinder and piston cost for this if it is bad.  Can anyone point me to someplace that has these parts online with prices or is there no such thing.  Thanks for all your help.  Anyone want to put a price tag on what this thing is worth as a rebuildable saw?
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

fishhuntcutwood

A new handle/tank is pretty expensive, and I'd guess would push $125+  You will see them on ebay as well for various prices used.  One just went for like $10, but it had a small crack on the handle as well.  As far as a piston/cylinder, new you're looking at $200.  You might try Dean at Washington Hot Saws.  He's got a store on ebay, and I know for a fact he sells piston/jug kits for fair prices.  He can also get you a bunch of used parts as well.  As far as online sources, Stihl doesn't sell online or via mail order.  You'll have to go directly through an authorized dealer, unless you can find a guy like Dean who works with dealers, and has his own shop which he sells through.  Can you post a link to the auction for us to look at?  A 440 on ebay can go for anything from $500+ to $50 depending on what it needs, how it looks, and what wrong with it.  How is the handle broken?  Is it  the typical break at the handle crotch, or was something dropped on it?

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

twoodward15

It looks like a tree fell on the handle, it fell off the back of the truck and hit the pavement just right or was driven over.  I'll give you the link if you promise not to bid against me.
try this    7716572997  It's not a link but you can cut copy and paste it.

It's listed as a 3 day auction.  Maybe the guy needs money fast or something.  I'm hoping to get it on the cheap (because I'm cheap) and have something to tinker with this winter and use next spring.  Let me know what you think.

twoodward15

the guy winning the bid now might be fishy.  A new guy with 0 feedback and a name of payday4Ufast.  Sounds like he's trying to run the price up to get what he wants out of it.  I'll keep on it though.

fishhuntcutwood

Man, that saw has been beat.  It's hard to say what happened to it.  It's being sold as a parts saw, and that's what you should consider it to be-parts.  It may run fine, but it doesn't say that in the listing.  And it took a heckuva thrashing to break the handle like that.  And the lack of any kind of description is suspect as well.  The seller has good feedback, but this saw looks like too much of a question.  A project saw is nice, but I think you'd be starting from the ground up on this baby.  And whatever broke that handle could have broken the case, cracked the cylinder, bent the crank, jacked up the bearings and seals.

Personally, I think you'd be better off starting with a running or maybe even a straight gas seized saw, and then go from there to make it a complete, sound, reliable saw.  There's plenty of 044/440s on ebay, and this one's already $130.  Whatever broke that handle, and it's lack of description, and no mention of it running would scare me off.  But that's me. 

Jeff

MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

twoodward15

Yep, I agree and at $130 I certainly won't start bidding.  I was figuring on going to about $75 thinking I'd put another 250 or 300 in it.  I'll keep looking for a worn out or siezed up saw.  Thanks for the input!

fishhuntcutwood

Just a thought, but unless you want to rebuild the saw yourself, and enjoy it (as many of us do), if you're wanting to spend $300+ you can find a good, running 044 for that.  A saw that wouldn't need rebuilt for a long while.  I guess what I'm saying is that I'd recommend not just looking for a parts saw to start with, but that I'd expand my search to any good, running 044 under $350.  There's plenty of them out there.

I know that alot of the project saws that I've embarked on just for fun have turned out to be money pits with alot more wrong with them than was advertised.

Jeff
MS 200T
MS 361
440 Mag
460 Mag
056 MII
660 Mag

twoodward15

Ya know, I'm sure a lot of guys are going to agree with me here.  I just got off the phone with the sawyer I buy from.  If I buy an 066 to use on an alskan (I'm thinking an 044 won't be big enough) then the mill, a couple big bars and a few chains, I'm going to be over a thousand new and probably close to a thousand used.  I can buy an awful lot of green lumber for $1000, not to mention a rebuild here and there every few years, gas for the saw, and normal time change items (filters and plugs), worn out chains, etc.  I can buy green lumber for 85 cents a bdft off the mill, no labor involved.  It really makes sense to just buy from my sawyer buddy.  What do you think?

Minnesota_boy

I saw for a number of guys who talk about getting their own mill.  I give them all the info they ask for and then ask how much they plan on milling.  When we get done with the talk, most realize that the amount they want makes it more economical to just have me come back and saw for them again.  They can put in all the labor they want and when they are tired out I finish the job on my own.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

dozerdan

twoodward15
New Stihl pistons and cylinders for the 460 Stihl's can be purchased from Bailey's for 99.95. They are also one of the sponsors of this site.
Here is a link for you.

http://www.baileys-online.com/store/USA.htm

Later
Dan
Danny Henry
Central Pa.
Home of the Original Power Ported Saws
570 658 6232
dozerdan@sunlink.net or
dozerdan@nmax.net

Al_Smith

E-bay saws can be a crap shoot.Some times you get a good one some times not.I've had relatively good luck but have had to turn a wrench on all of them.This is not a big deal if you know how but a costly one if you do not
If you think the price is too high just pass on by,another will come up in short while.

Thank You Sponsors!