iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I guess logging is about being busted sometimes...

Started by Offthebeatenpath, February 08, 2013, 02:39:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Offthebeatenpath

I've been hesitant to share this story because I'm a newbie logger, but if you can't laugh at your own misfortune, you may well live a pretty serious life...

After logging and pulling firewood with my little skid steer and a borrowed Timberjack for the last couple winters, I made the investment in a 1985 440D.  Read a bunch on the forum here, asked some questions, got the machine checked out by a JD mechanic, then pulled the trigger and bought it. My other job had me tied up for awhile so after I drove it off the truck, it sat in my yard. Fired it up every week or so just to let it know I hadn't forgotten about it.  A few weeks ago, I started it and after idyling for a few minutes, it went BANG!, clattered for a millasecond and died in a puff of smoke.

Turns out, the connecting rod bolts broke and sent the rod slamming into the crankshaft.  Not sure of engine block damage yet.  I hadn't even driven into the woods with the machine.

A bit concerned (understatement!) about my abilty to pay for the repair, I decided to dedicate myself to pulling out small diameter firewood with the little skid steer til the skidder was fixed.  Worked one day at it then fell and broke my wrist.  Now, I'm out of work for eight weeks, can't even pick up a saw.  Ought to be healed up just in time for posted roads and mud season...

Who wants to be a logger now?

On the upside, I'm getting pretty darn good at typing with one hand...

1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Jay C. White Cloud

Hey OBP,

I'm glad you are trying to take the higher view on it all.  That says a great deal about your character.  Hope all goes well for you in the story you told.  That wrist will give you fits the rest of your life, at least it has me, in both of them.  One still sounds like walking on egg shells every time I make a fist.  Take this down time to study up on your machine and anything else that is interesting you.  Nice part about computers, it brings the library to you.

Good Luck,

Jay
"To posses an open mind, is to hold a key to many doors, and the ability to created doors where there were none before."

"When it is all said and done, they will have said they did it themselves."-teams response under a good leader.

mad murdock

Ouch!  sorry to hear your misfortune, maybe the brighter side is you have gotten all the bad luck over with in one fell swoop, so the rest of the year will go good!  Too bad about the skidder, the "glass half full" part of that I guess is you don't have to wrestle with getting a dead machine out of the deep woods, and hey , it is already next to the shop so it can get fixed!  I hope your wrist heals well, and you are back at 100% soon.  You are on the down hill side now!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cutter88

sorry to here about ur run of bad luck,,, we all have them times and its good to just sit back shake your head and laugh because getten all streesed out shape or throwing a fit dont really help matters... hope things start getten better for yu!
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

cutter88

ill share some of my bad luck might make u feel better lol... i ran older saws for a long time alwayhs kept them well maintained and had them for about 7 years,,, this past october i went out and bought 2 brand new ms460 stihls... the first week i had them a tree got away well falling and totalled one of them well it was in the shop for about 600 dollars in repairs i backed over the outher new one with my skidder, so there i was back to my old saws lol, needless to saw i wont be buying new saws for a few years :)
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

loggah

I been ,broke, broken,and busted!! but usually only one at a time!! keep your chin up nothing life threatening there, things will get better1 :)
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for the perspective guys.  I know this is a relatively minor and short lived set back in the grand scheme- been spending most of my time looking forward instead of wallowing in the moment anyway.  I've got plenty of one handed projects to keep me occupied at the house that I would never get to otherwise.  Gonna have some sharp tools by the time spring rolls around...
1985 JD 440D, ASV tracked skid steer w/ winch, Fecon grapple, & various attachments, Hitachi CG-30 tracked dump truck, CanyCom S25 crawler carrier, Volvo EC35C mini-ex, Kubota 018-4 mini-ex, Cormidi 100 self loading tracked dumper, various other little trail building machines and tools...

Autocar

Don't throw the towel in yet, everyone of us has had simular problems over the years. The only good thing about them as you get older your look back and laugh about it. But it seems your smiling now so your do ok   ;) .
Bill

saxon0364

That is some rotten luck no doubt about it.   But don't quit, make a plan and try to follow it.    We all been there and will again.  Just keep doing what you do and the world will turn.   
Nothing wrong with quiet.

JuniperBoss

That is truly unfortunate. That is just how it is sometimes, but a lot of times it'll all pull together and your wrist will heal twice as strong as it did before and your skidder won't be too bad of a fix.

Hang in there. On the up side you get to spend more time on the forum now that you can't work nearly as much!
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

Charles Barnes Sr

Sorry to hear about your present circumstances but glad to hear a positive attitude. Where in Maine do you call home?
Baptist Pastor trying to make ends meet logging.
76 IH S8 Cable skidder
Husky 55
Husky 372XP

redprospector

I hate to hear of your hard times. If you are in the woods long you'll go through some though.
I've fractured my neck, busted ribs, broke bones in my feet, shattered a knee, and lots of sprains and bruises. But not all at once.
Sometimes your the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.

Andy
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

thenorthman

Lost count on how many bones I've broken... but the wrist was by far the easiest to get over (its still crooked after 20 some odd years).  I totally feel yer pain on the skidder though, mine has worked only one job and I'm still not sure how I will pay for it, if something big breaks... well it was fun while it lasted, but I'll be eat'n mac and cheese and top ramen until my veins collapse... 

We'll see ya in the woods in a few weeks though...
well that didn't work

sawguy21

I have been out of logging for 13 years but still miss it. Can't get over the fresh air and the smell of fresh cut wood. Changing the fuel pump on the crawler in a snow storm late at night doesn't seem so bad now. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offthebeatenpath

Thanks for the support fellas. 

Charles- I'm in Turner.  A little over an hour from you I guess.

Jed

loggah

I bought a couple old 10 ton Holts from  Dan Poland i think his garage was in Turner Center many years ago. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Mooseherder

I hope you're healing well and back in the woods soon. ;)

timberjack 450

You will be just fine. My first year in logging I had 4 months in down time and $10,000 in parts.  That's from a skidder I bought from a friend. Maxed out all my credit cards and took years to get clear of all the mess. My friends told me to file bankruptcy. I couldn't do it. It took time but I loved what I was doing and just kept  diggin till I could see daylight. You will never get rich loggin, but it sure beats working in an office. Good luck, stay safe and have fun   
90 450 Timberjack, JD 650 G dozer, Hitachi 120 excavator, 2400 morbark chipper, 85 Western star log truck,and a 22-22 Blockbuster processor
Almost forgot, and a very patient woman

lumberjack48

You still have the skidder and your not dead, heck your in good shape. Its just part of this business, i have no answers why things happen the way they do.

Yesterday,Feb. 8, 24 yrs ago i got my neck broke, left me a quad. The wife had to feed me the first year. I got my right arm and hand back good enough to feed myself and type with one finger. They only gave me 4 to 5 yrs to live, i don't think they had me figured out, I'm a Logger, wheels keep turning, like i used to say , One Monkey Don't stop The Show.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Offthebeatenpath

If that doesn't give perspective, nothing will.  You're a tough man Lumberjack48.

JuniperBoss

Yes he is. I bet he eats kids for breakfast :D.

Just kidding you've got quite a story lumberjack smiley_thumbsup.
"The three great essentials to achieve anything worthwhile are, first, hard work; second, stick-to-itiveness; third, common sense." --- Thomas Edison

lumberjack48

The thing is there always somebody worse off then we are.

The thing with me i was never happy with what i had, always reaching for more.

I should have been a millionaire by the time i was 38. But i spent it on wine, women and song, and waisted the rest. I worked hard and played hard, i loved to dance. We went dancing every weekend, when i look back i wouldn't change a thing.
Like i told them in the hospital, I'm only 41 but I'm high mileage.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

JuniperBoss

I'm high mileage and look at my age :D. Just kidding. I've got a lot to learn but I'm a pretty active and ambitious guy. Later in my life I hope to be the "jack of all trades". Maybe not master them all but a wide interest and wide variety of skills is always a good thing ;).

saltydog

You will make it just dont give up. Ive been broke many times scraping up fuel money putting on used tires used hoses. I have had up to a 6 man crew 3 forwarders and a harvester running.I have been off work almost a year for medical problems.Im down to one forwarder and me.But im still a logger ill be back its just how it goes.I cant imagine doing anything else.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

Ed_K

All in a days life  ;) I didn't realize I was high milage till I hit 58  :o .It'll just add to the sawdust in your veins,got'a get out there an cut a tree  8) .
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!