iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hydro Axe problem please help!

Started by logman81, March 08, 2015, 06:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

So I have a friend that has a hydro Axe and is having problems with it.  He has lost forward and reverse and head functions what could be the problem electrical?
Precision Firewood & Logging

Firewoodjoe

What series is it? 670s have a lot of electric for both and full hydrostatic operation.

logman81

kiko

He has a hydrostat failure of some kind.  The reason the other functions no longer work is because the charge pressure is drawn off the hydrostat pump to control the pilot operated functions.  So the charge pump is in the back of the hydrostat pump, this pump could have failed, the main hydrostat pump or the drive motor, any of these will cause his symptom.  I can go through the diagnostics if he has a pressure gauge.   

logman81

kiko

Ok 411 ex will have a pressure check bank.  Get the gauge into port labeled charge pressure.  Crank machine should read zero or close to it.   Cut machine off .  Cap and plug both propel hoses from drive pump to drive motor.  I believe he will need 16 ors caps and plugs.  Start machine if charge pressure comes up to 300 to 400 psi, the failure is in drive motor as is now isolated from the loop. If pressure is still nonexistent failure is in drive pump.   No electrical controls all these functions on a hydro ax. He has steering because the steering is not pilot controlled. 

logman81

There is electrics going to the pump.

logman81

Do you still have to cap them off if you have pressure ports.

kiko

Also if the charge pressure comes up when you plug off the motor , the boom functions will work at that point.  I am extremely familiar with these machines,  not to contradict but the only electrical on the hydosatats that I am aware of  is the rabbit turtle solonoid on the drive motor.  There are no electrical on the pump located behind engine on top position on the gearbox.  I have dealt with many a e and ex hydro ax with this exact same issue.  In order to diagnose the point of failure in the hydostatic system you must isolate the hydrostat pump from the hydrostat motor.   When checking the charge pressure there is no need to work any function it should be there any time machine is running,  except when a failure exist.  The lines to cap are easy to access right at hydrostat pump, they are the two big hose going straight to the drive motor.

logman81

Ok, he thinks it may be the solenoid.  His is square with two wires going to it.

bonds007

Wondering about my own hydro ax rabbit turtle solenoid....it doesn't seem to work.... ???

logman81

I have a good feeling that it is the problem.

logman81

The hydro Axe is fixed, it wound up being a piece of rubber stuck in the pilot opening.  Thanks for your help all!

kiko

So it was a lack of pilot/charge pressure, glad it was not a catastrophic failure.

logman81

Gadrock

While you are at it change pilot filter and hydraulic filter.

Be amazed of the difference in operations.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

logman81

Thank You Sponsors!