iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got one...

Started by HiTech, August 20, 2015, 01:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HiTech

for you. Gearmatic 19/119 versus Cancar 20. SAE versus Metric. The vent on the Gearmatic is 1/8" pipe thread. It will not fit the Cancar 20, Metric. The hose assembly and hydraulic fitting for clutch lever are SAE on the Gearmatic and Metric on the Cancar 20. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Brake Bands and Clutch Bands for the Gearmatic are sized by SAE and the Cancar 20 sized in Metric? The Dealer says parts are interchangeable but they don't seem to be. I know a couple of people who have rebuilt the Cancar 20's and seem to have lots of problems. Lots of filing or sanding to get the bands in place. One made in Oklahoma and one made in Canada. SAE versus Metric. Anyone know for sure?

loggah

I know that the bands are not interchangeable,i tried it years ago  with my tree farmer,i tried with new bands for a 518 cat gearmatic. I also had problems with relined cancar 20 bands,the lining was a bit thicker the original. After about 3 days of aggravation trying to get them to work right, i took the relined bands out and threw a set of used bands back in and the winch worked fine !!
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

coxy

we had some trouble like this when helping a guy a few years back  called cjlogging and talked to AL and he helped us out but cant remember what he said to do to many other fixes in between  ;D

lopet

Never heard something like that but not saying it's not possible.          That at least could explain why so many guys ( including me ) don't like the cancar 20. ;D  My old Jeeps were metric and were made in USA.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

HiTech

I talked to an old guy today about Cancar 20 winches. He was telling me unless someone modified it, the original hose was metric pipe thread. He said to use the SAE hose all you had to do was run an 1/8" pipe tap in it. He says they are old enough now that most have been modified. To find one with a metric pipe thread on the hose is a rarity. He says the bands will interchange with some filing and sanding. This guy is in his 80's and has probably rebuilt more winches than I have seen. lol I enjoy talking to the older guys as there is a lot of knowledge in their heads. Someday the old guys will be gone and the knowledge along with them. I guess on today's machines you don't need knowledge just a computer. lol He says once set right they will pull like there is no tomorrow.

loggah

Well the large eyes on a can-car band are 25MM and the gearmatic band eye is 25.4 MM which is one inch, the gearmatic bands fit to loose on the can car pin to work right, and if you use the can car band in a gearmatic you have to ream the eye to 1 inch, and it still may not work right.If you are going to work on a can car much, get another winch sideplate and cut it out to make a skeleton side plate out of it. this will support the bearing and drum so its not sitting on the bands, and will let you adjust basically everything in the right position.
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

HiTech

Loggah, thanks for that info. One thing I have learned is there is no such thing as an easy job.

Thank You Sponsors!