iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Storing SYP for future sawing

Started by Tom Brueggen, April 21, 2018, 01:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Brueggen

Ok, it's certainly been discussed before, but I'm trying to understand the best way to store SYP long term prior to sawing. I'm considering clearing about 6 acres, and I own my own small Timberking 1220, but there is NO away I'd be able to saw 6 acres on that in any sort of timely fashion. Unfortunately prices are in the dumper too, so market value, if I haul it all in myself is only about $1500/acre. I'd just as soon use it all myself over the years, but need to clear the acreage now.

I've read about keeping sprinklers on, that's what the mills seem to do. And also read about submerging them under water I could certainly dig a big pot to sink them in, but not sure about how to keep them sunk. Cables and concrete blocks, at least until the water log? I just might be crazy enough to try it.

Any other practical solutions?

Texas Ranger

If you use the sprinklers, lift up the logs on sacrificial logs, out of contact with dirt, and they will sink.  Concrete would be better. Consider mud in the hole thinking, constant adding water, etc.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

If you put them in a pond green, most will sink.  
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

How do they do if you remove the bark and store them off the ground on sacrificial logs? Next question - how hard is it to peel such logs and tools/techniques to remove the bark?

I thought the bark encouraged insect pests which was the big problem along with rotting if the logs are touching the ground.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

In our climate, in a short time ips engraver beetles and wood borers will show up regardless if they are off the ground or not.  Ambrosia beetles will also make an appearance and create small black haloed holes in the wood.  The bark will sluff off within a few months of felling.  The logs will be good for a while if stored off of the ground.  Even if on the ground, the heart wood will be good for quite a while.

We keep our logs in a pond until we need to saw them but it is a hassle to fish them out but they saw like the day they were felled but without the bark and they are not dried out.  They do smell bad until they dry though.
Caveman

Sixacresand

If I had a pond, I would definitely put logs in it.  Get them off the ground and knock the bark off as soon as it starts to slip.  I use a square blade shovel.  Still try to mill them within a year.  I tried milling and storing cants, but they dry, crack and split, plus then you got to protect them from the elements
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Tom Brueggen

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I'd be talking 5 acres worth of dense pine, so it's a lot of logs. The idea really is just to do something with all of them quickly! To saw them out in a timely fashion on my little mill would be a full time job for months. So yeah, I'd plan to dig the pond, and then clear the land, putting ALL logs in the pond then flooding it. I'd be able to pump it down later whenever I want to get logs out for milling.

I found one article stating the long term storage  under water still has its flaws in softwood. But then explain all the shows about pulling up 100 yr old sunken logs...

Southside

Just food for thought.  If you have a good stand of pine there lets assume that you have around 14,000 feet to the acre, so at 5 acres you have 70,000 board feet of logs or around 18 trailer truck loads.  That's a big hole to dig and seal up to hold water.  

Now I have been known to run around the rules from time to time, but before I dig a mini Lake Superior and fill her with wood, even I would do a little research on the legality of all that to at least know the potential of what it could cost me should the wrong folks notice it.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

The easiest place to store your logs is on the stump, unless you have other plans for the six acres where the pine is growing.  Cut them as you need them.
Caveman

Tom Brueggen

Well to Southaide Logger, I've already dug one such mini Lake Superior. From what I've gathered there are no rules governing it here. We are flat terrain, so no Corp of engineer issues with too big a dam or such. Folks dig clay/sand "borrow pits" down here all over the place.

I'd say you're pretty accurate in your assumptions on timber volume. I recently cleared 2 acres for my neighbor and stacked the logs, only to find the local pine mill wasn't taking any. The piles aren't that huge. I own my own 30 ton excavator and off-road dump truck, so moving the material is no problem. Well, except for the bad transmission in the truck, but once thats fixed...!

To Caveman, yes, I'm considering an alternate use for the acreage. Even cattle pasture would be worth more than the pine! Sure, storing on the stump is easiest, and I'll happily allow my other 10 acres to stay that way. The only way for me to get appreciable value from the timber as it is would be if I haul it all in myself. And log it myself. Ain't got time for that! Maybe then I'd be stretching for $2000/acre, but then back out all the fuel and time. And again, assume I can find a mill to take it. The closest mill to me only buys from their preferred loggers right now. To sell to the mill I have to bring them in under someone else's name, and of course he takes his cut for the service of using his name.

So, anyone on here every actually stored logs under water for an extended period of time, like 5+ years at least?

shortlogger

Get them off the ground and peel the bark and they will last a year or two. unless you are just looking for an excess to dig a pond you would probably be better off just selling all the logs you cant use in a reasonable amount of time and sticking the money back and just use it to buy some more logs when you them because the prices probably wont change much anytime soon. As was said earlier the best way to store logs is on the stump.   
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

Runningalucas

The new Spring growth is coming in, in my experience, they peel way easier; I would peel them.  Then seal the ends; you can buy anchor seal, or some people just use paint; this will aid in evenly drying them.  Next, stack them up on something, and cover. 
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

WLC

Quote from: Tom Brueggen on April 22, 2018, 10:55:14 PM

So, anyone on here every actually stored logs under water for an extended period of time, like 5+ years at least?
Anecdotal info, but I remember when I was a kid they were building a new hotel in my small home town.  Back at the turn of the century there had been what was at the time the largest sawmill ever set up east of the Mississippi set up in my little home town in order to log the virgin timber off the N Ga mountains.  The hotel was being built on what was once part of the sawmill property and evidently in an area that had been part of the now filled in mill pond.  When digging the foundation they hit a log.  They continued until they had completely unearthed it and got it out.  It was a hemlock log that was over four feet in diameter that had evidently sunk in the mill pond and had been covered up with dirt when the mill finished cutting and moved.  It was as sound then as it was the day it was cut.  It had been there at a minimum of 50-55 years.  I've also helped drag chestnut out of creeks in the past.  The chestnuts were wiped out in the early part of the 20th century and this was in the late 80's and early 90's.  Still have a picture frame or two that was made out of some of that lumber.  All that to say that your logs would most likely be ok. 
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Don P

Or see if there is a portable mill with an outlet where he can saw on shares.

nativewolf

Like Dons idea; solves lots of issues.  Very hard to get less than 20 acres cut today by a professional logger.

Question:  Why clear now?  What's the rush?  
Liking Walnut

clintnelms

Quote from: Runningalucas on April 22, 2018, 11:28:52 PM
The new Spring growth is coming in, in my experience, they peel way easier; I would peel them.  Then seal the ends; you can buy anchor seal, or some people just use paint; this will aid in evenly drying them.  Next, stack them up on something, and cover.

There's no need to end seal SYP.

Thank You Sponsors!