iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

storing logs for future use

Started by muddobber, December 21, 2006, 12:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddobber

Happy Holidays to all;
                                 I'm GREEN when it comes to sawing lumber so please bear with me. I've got the chance to buy a lot of hardwood trees left over from a tornado that came through last May. From reading y-alls postings, I got alot of homework to do before I'm confident enough to buy a saw and commence cutting. I'd like to get these trees while the opportunity exists and can get them under cover. Most likely I won't be doin much with em til this time next year as I'm pretty busy getting  our ranch up and runnin. Any advice? obliged.   

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum  8)

My advice is ... if they're still standing ... leave them stand until you're ready to saw them.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

TexasTimbers

I get the gist you're a southern brother.  ??? Where ye be?

If you got a ranch them you got tanks. Better to leave 'em on the stump like Bibbyman says but if you have to cut 'em now you can store 'em in your a tank if you have a spare the cattle don't need.I never heard but I don't think I'd want my beeves suckin down any tannic acid or whatever your trees might have. What speicies?

There are some trees that will not keep well even in water. Someone will come along and give the rest of the advice on this I am only somewhat schooled in it but I believe most logs will keep right well in your stock tanks.

If only for a year that might be a little drastic though.

Welcome to the forum.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

woodmills1

just wonderin why you are buying logs before you have a mill?  most hardwoods will be fine stored outside with out any cover, maybe just paint the ends(fresh cut) with anchor seal.  But again if no mill why logs?
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

mike_van

I wouldn't store any under cover, they saw better wet. Round logs that start to dry will check to the heart on at least 1 face.  How far in the future is your mill?   A year is o.k., some wood can lay 2 or 3 - Then you get borrers, etc. moving in.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Flurida_BlackCreek

I'm happy anywhere south of the mason-dixon line.
-- cdb

thecfarm

Muddobber,welcome to the forum.I see you said getting our ranch up and running.Did you buy a place that needs some attention?How many acres?Animals?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

muddobber

Howdy and thanks to all for their input. To answer some of your questions to me,We live on 110ac in Webster county Mo. We're refugees from Florida. We bought undeveloped land so we wouldn't end up with someone else's enviromental waste dump. We're going to be as diverse as practical in our programs including cattle,truck gardens and some manufacturing.... I've built furniture ,hence the need for a cheap and reliable source of lumber.The trees I was talking about are mostly walnut, red & white oak, pecan, ash, cherry, the fella that owns the land has run-off everyone thats asked to harvest the logs but he's taken a shine to us. The trees are located astride a creek,the tornado just sort of pushed em over, stump and all. If it's practical I'd like to cashe the logs 1) I'm busier than a one leggid square dancer,gettin moved in. 2) I like to know what I'm getting into when I commence something... And I don't know diddly about making lumber. Like the rest of y-all I've got limited time and financial resourses.....gotta make the wisest use of em both. Reading about things doesn't do me near as well as seeing it done. If any of you folks out there live within a days ride and would extend the invite I'd sure like to watch you saw wood........Adios       

Bro. Noble

You would be welcome to come see how we do things.  You could get to our place in a day on a good horse :D :D :D   We saw almost every day except when we are cutting logs or my son is hauling ties or lumber.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

muddobber

Dear Bro Noble;
                         Thanks for the invitation, Would the week between Christmas and New year be ok? If so how do we get up with one another? I'm unsure of  forum edicate(probably butchered the spelling).When someone asks a question(like the folks that replied to my quere), do I  just couple it to the original message like I'm doin now? I'm not very savvy with a computer....but I can quote shakespear...HaHa.

Bro. Noble

MD,  eddykate ( and spelling) aren't big deals with most of us :D :D  Now as far as contacting on another,  if something is probably not of interest to everyone,  or isn't any of their beeswax,  you can use a personal message just by clicking on the person's name that you want to talk to. 8) 8)

I'll send you a message telling you how to get to our place.  Between those two holidays would be fine.

Bro. Noble

Just spent a very enjoyable day with muddobber 8)  He's the kinda guy that's easy to get acquainted with and one that jumps right in and helps. ;D  I'm looking forward to his return and hope to see more of him on the forum :)

dave7191

Muddobber welcome to the forum I'm another one that is right next door to you too
I'm over in the nw corner of polk county

broker farmer

Welcome Muddobber!  I'm north of you in Cooper county.  My home town was Marshfield Mo............back when I was a kid.  Where are you located in Webster county?  I might stop in and see you some day.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tom

Jeff!  You know you don't know where Webster County, Mo. is. :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!