iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Catalpa Lumber

Started by jdtuttle, February 27, 2013, 06:47:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

Any one have experience, knowledge using this lumber. I have an opportunity to get 20 or 30 mature trees & was hoping to build a kiln with it.
jim
Have a great day

Sawmill Man

Around here it is fast growing and weak. Not suitable for any structural work.
"I could have sworn I went over that one with the metal detector".

francismilker

We have an abundance of it here in OK growing as shade trees in yards.  It is beautiful craft wood but awful weak.  Most of it has metal in it.  I do think it's awful pretty though.
"whatsoever thy hands finds to do; do it with thy might" Ecc. 9:10

WM LT-10supergo, MF-271 w/FEL, Honda 500 Foreman, Husq 550, Stihl 026, and lots of baling wire!

rooster 58

I saw some that was used to make a bench. I thought it was butternut. It was sweet lookin wood ;)

york

My lady friend in pa. had a bunch of them on her lot-i cut them all but one and used them for fill material,there not even any good for firewood...albert
Albert

Ron Wenrich

I've seen it used as paneling.  It was a nice look.  These were made into 1x6s, dried and tongue and grooved.  I believe they also used it in some cabinets. 

There's probably better alternatives to catalpa for construction. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Todd

I've sawn some for carvers..they loved it.
Found this on the web..don't know if its just marketing what they have or not.. ???
http://www.walkerssawmill.com/Catalpa.html
Making somthing idiot-proof only leads to the creation of bigger idiots!

terrifictimbersllc

Images of sawing catalpa wood, in Preston, CT.  identification by customer, not me.  My impression is that it is a lighter weight, fairly hard, light brown wood which would be good for fine woodworking. Haven't used it myself.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Larry

I've cornered the catalpa bowl turning market.  Unfortunately there are no buyers in that market at present.  But there is bound to be an uptick at any time. :D :D

I've also heard it makes great siding.  I think it should make good landscaping timbers.  I almost have that market cornered too. ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Tree Feller

Those are some nice Catalpa bowl blanks. How much do you get for one?
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Larry

Haven't sold one yet. :D  I put an add on craigslist few weeks ago and asked for $8 to $12 based on size.  As of yet I haven't even had one inquiry.

But I'm sure the market will turn around soon. :D :D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

mesquite buckeye

Did it bother you when you cut it up? :o We have a related species in the SW that is reported to induce asthma when being cut.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

JERICO

I've got a 15' tall one in my front yard, not really big enough to cut. 
As far as what I'm reading here now, it'll be better for me to just keep getting the catalpa worms (black and yellow caterpillars) off the limbs for catching catfish, bream, etc than to expect to cut it up.

I've considered it an undesirable ornamental tree, but I do like gathering the caterpillars that COVER it and freeze them for using as bait when we jug fish.
They are big and juicy.
Anybody else ever fish with these?   
Husqvarna Rancher 55
Kubota L2800 4X4 with bucket
Land Pride forks for bucket-awesome!
Big Axe

Tree Feller

Quote from: JERICO on February 27, 2013, 11:05:26 AM
Anybody else ever fish with these?

Absolutely. You can prune the limbs back to the main trunk in late winter before it starts putting out new buds (similar to trimming a Crepe Myrtle) and the new growth will be reachable for picking the worms.

Another tip: Blanch the worms before freezing them and they will retain their green color instead of turning black when they are thawed.   ;)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Bogue Chitto

If you look just to the right of my son and the tractor, I have one growing by the mill.  Attracts lots of fishing worms.   

west penn

catalpa is rot resistant and therefore is a favorite with duck decoy carvers. maybe not the best for construction lumber but might be good for incorporating into kiln construction because of its' rot resistance. very pretty wood and dries easily.

WDH

Larry,

My experience is that bowl turners do not like to buy wood.  They want you to give it to them  :).  They are scroungers (no offense intended to the resident bowl turners  ::)). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

hackberry jake

I have never turned a bowl but I am going to go get a blank from Larry and try it out :)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

I bet that you can get one cheap if there is an "Inventory Reduction" sale ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kensfarm

When I was a kid.. we use to collect the worms in 5 gallon buckets and stuff the buckets w/ leaves.  The tree will replace all the follage after the worms strip the trees.  The catfish just couldn't resist them.. the freezing really toughens the worms up.  Good times.. good memories.

jdtuttle

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to look at the trees tomorrow. He has 3 down now and will be cutting the rest soon. I have a good friend that carves larger sculptures for a living. Some of the trees are 3' to 4' at the base so I'll see if he's interested too. If it's rot resistant I think i'll use it for siding & possibly make some paneling too.
jim
Have a great day

Jemclimber

Hey JD,  check around with chainsaw carvers if your buddy doesn't want them.  A few around here ask for it specifically. Easy to carve and rot resistant as others have said. Good luck.
lt15

Thank You Sponsors!