iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleep Paralysis

Started by Jeff, March 15, 2018, 11:34:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Well, its legal here now, just unobtainable.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I have had a few cancer pt. report that they feel less anxious and that is with the hemp oil that does not make you high.  There has not been much good research, in part due to the prev. stigma.  I agree if it is helpful that is great.  The biggest proponents however have used it for so many years they are not exactly unbiased.  My sister in law gets mad if I even refer to it as a drug.  "its an herb".  Most highly effective medicinals also have significant side effects.  To each there own.  Hope you find something soon Jeff.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

I have weird side effects to meds. If there is a strange side effect, I'm the guy that has it.  One time after a shoulder surgery I was given a scopolamine patch for nausea.  This resulted in something that was akin to the sleep paralysis. Vivid hallucinations. As soon as I closed my eyes they would hit me. riding a merry go around with the devil and trying to run the opposite way of rotation as he chased me. It was real as could be. I called the nurse in because I had no idea what was happening to me. She sat down in the chair in my room as I explained what was going on. As she starts to tell be it was probably the patch I had on for nausea, a huge spider, probably 3 ft across came down the wall and put a leg on her shoulder. I'll never forget it, and I can remember shouting at her to GET THE PATCH OFF ME!   Opioids upset my stomach and keep me awake and constipate me and do nothing for pain. Refuse to take them.  Motrin based pain releivers make me so I can not pee.  I am not allowed to take Tylenol due to having that really bad case of pancreatitis  in 2010. Pretty much any medication and me do not get along.

doc henderson

for how many years now and how often does this afflict you.  if you don't mind me asking.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

My buddy Dr. Sourk is a pulmonologist and has been doing sleep medicine since it became a thing in the 80s.  I will see if he knows anyone in your area that is an expert.

Jeff

The sleep paralysis? I've had it for long as I can remember, but an episode might occur once a year or less, up until probably 2 years ago. They they started coming quite often. Lately its at least once a week, sometimes 3 or 4 times a week, sometimes two times a day, once 3 times. The hallucinations are new in this last two years as well.  I had one night before last and was calling for help. I heard Tammy coming, arrive, and then I could hear wheezing and heavy breathing. I felt Tammy grab my arm, and was waiting for her to shake me awake. Turns out, Tammy was not there yet. I heard the real Tammy coming and just before she got to me, the sleep paralysis hand on my arm let go and the wheezing and breathing stopped.

If I end up on my back, I can almost be assured of an episode.

thecfarm

Wow Jeff,the more you post the more goose bumps I get. :( 
Brenda is like you,read the side affects,one in 150,000 will have it,Brenda and you are one of the 150,000.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

I awoke if you want to call it that, this morning about 5:30. At least this episode was of the generic variety. Just the paralysis with no side show. I called for help but Tammy didn't hear me, so had to endure it until I came out of it by myself. Problem with the being able to call, is sometimes I just think I am yelling, but as it turns out, only whispering or sometimes not actually saying anything at all.  I know this because it happens so many times with me that Tammy has been able to witness the different scenarios.

mike_belben

Man, your situation sucks.  

Im not a pothead or even much a med user at all and dont care to be around frequent recreational stoners,  but i kinda think you ought to give it a try pretty soon.  If i was in your boat id need to know sooner than later.  And over 20 some years i have seen it improve a handful of very angry, anxious high strung people dramatically like nothing else could.  About face changes for the better which is rare in life.  My best friends dad was one of em.  He shoulda started 30 yrs sooner, whole life woulda been better for him and those around him.  Waited until he was dying of cancer and was suddenly likable. A shame. 

Anyway, if it dont work ya just add it to the list of things youve crossed off. I hope ya figure it put soon.  The lack of sleep has to be aging the both of you pretty fast. 
Praise The Lord

Jeff

Well, i dont feel I need a personality change, I would just like to be able to look foward to a normal nights sleep instead of my version of a nightmare on elm street. A nap now and then would be most excellent as well. I find it impossible to nap because my mind doesn't slow down. Ive fallen asleep during daylight hours maybe twice in the last few years.

doc henderson

If you have had side effects from common meds, and tend to have many side effects, I think it makes trying meds more a concern.  Several meds have been used but some are to keep you awake during the day (treat narcolepsy) including stimulants like Ritalin,  a few may help paralysis by limiting rem sleep, but all have side effects.  I have noted lack of research for medicinal MJ but there are many anecdotes.  It tends to be more of a cns depressant and could make things worse.  Intractable nausea and vomiting are common side effects.  I am not anti MJ, but I am a little anti-pro MJ as the cure for everything.  Full disclosure, I haver tried it or have any desire to.  If I had a chronic pain or cancer and had no helpful options, I would consider it.
ps: the above comments are not meant to be directed at anyone posting here on mj, my comments above are in general after years of practice

mike_belben

Rereading what i posted it sounds like i was suggesting you are a grouch but i didnt mean it that way even if you are  ;D  

Im not pro or anti.  If it makes someone a loser im against it.  If it makes them better im for it.  As a lifetime troubleshooter my brain just says well, try this and monitor the results for the next decision. 
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I agree mike.  Sadly there is no manual for ol Jeff!   :P

D2 Cody

Hey Jeff I was very interested when I read your post. I have never really worried or thought much about this but after reading all four pages it was nice to see what you had to say. Not that I am glad this is happening to you by any means but because I have had this problem two or three times now in the last few years myself and the only person who knows about it is the wife and even she thinks it is just a dream and either doesn't fully understand or believe me when I told her and I swear I am awake when this happens. It is very frightening to say the least. The most recent was probably 10 or 11 months ago but I wake up fully "or at least I think I am", and swear someone is holding me down talking to me in a very low quiet muffled voice while i am on my stomach and I try to scream but no voice at all and i can absolutely not move a leg, an arm, not one muscle. The most scariest part is I have problems breathing and am just gasping for air and praying I fully wake up very soon and that it just ends. I don't know what causes it as I have always since I graduated high school had problems getting to sleep and waking up a lot but when I do sleep I am totally dead to the world. I also and it really bothers the wife is I will just be sleeping and breathing fine then its like I hold my breath and just keep sleeping then i'll start breathing again. It has actually been bad enough just a few times that she has waken me up to get me to breath. I to be honestly do worry about work to much, don't eat or sleep like I should especially since I started trying to get my own business going and would venture to blame a lot of my problem on this. I hope you find a cure to your problem Jeff and soon because I cant even imagine having this all the time. Try and take care.
Are you just going to lay there and bleed or get up and do something about it..Wyatt Earp Tombstone

Echo-Stihl-Caterpillar-Dodge-Craftsman-Lincoln

Ljohnsaw

D2 Cody,  Yours sounds like Sleep Apnea.  Are you tired in the morning when the wife says you've had a lot of the stop breathing episodes?  Might want to get a sleep study done.  SA is really hard on your heart.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Id sure concur with that from my understandings. Sleep Apnea. I'm sure one of the docs will be by to give some insight.

doc henderson

Obstructive sleep apnea is usually associated with intense snoring, to the point that no air goes in.  This happens as the person is getting into deep sleep and their bodies emergency alert system wakes them up.  They are very tired the next day due to no deep sleep.  During deep sleep is when you release a growth hormone releasing substance.  Adults need growth hormone in small amounts to act like an anabolic steroid.  Good sleep = GH = fat burning, muscle building, feelings of well building and can defeat the world, sexual stuff.  Insulin counteracts GH so low GH = weight gain, loss of muscle, decreased energy for all things above.  As you gain wt., insulin levels cont. to go up.,  sleep apnea gets worse and therefor GH goes down starting the vicious cycle that everyone talks about.  no energy and cannot loose weight.  Now blood pressure and cholesterol goes up, making vascular dx. worse.

I agree you should start with a sleep study.  If you do not snore and this is only occ., you may have more what Jeff has just not as frequent.  I think you need to see your Doc.  Best wishes to all.

Jeff

The Cold Burner.

My mind is such a strange place to live anymore. Here it is 4:30 in the morning. Tammy has left for work and I'm scared to go back to sleep.

Last night before I turned in, I got a text from my son that he had obtained a THC candy for me to try before I go to bed tonight so we could see if it helps. He is to bring it over today. He said if it does, his friend says she can make them for me for $25 for 25 of them. I thought cool. I'm sure willing to put an end to this. Tammy hates the idea of my trying to use cannabis, but I think her real issue is with the smoking of it. She detests the smell. The edible seems like it should be an acceptable alternative for her.

As what is now my usual, I stayed up last night to the point of exhaustion as it seems that is the way I get past the sleep paralysis in the evening. When I did lay down I pretty much went right to sleep. I got up a couple times during the night which is now, also, my usual, and had no issues going back to sleep, however the last time up, I went out and sat in the easy-chair to finish the night as my shoulders were hurting as they usually do from layng on them. Sleeping on your back is not an option with sleep paralysis. About 4am I could hear Tammy moving around getting ready for work. At that point it became daytime and Jeremy was here. He gave me the THC candy. After he left I didn't wait around until this evening to eat it. I ate it right then, thinking I should have waited until tonight to see if it was going to work.

I'm a child of the 70's so I am no stranger to marijuana. I know what it is to be high on weed. What I did not know was you can actually be high on weed that you did not actually ingest during sleep paralysis. The candy was more like cake. moist and sweet. I could taste it. As Tammy moved around in the other room getting for work I thought she would probably like the taste too. You see it is still this morning, I'm still in my chair, and I don't know yet that this is sleep paralysis, or at least about to be.  Jeremy is back now. I'm thinking that candy worked fast! I'm high within moments of eating it. I'm laughing and acting goofy and he told me that I should have waited to take it until bed time as I only have one. I now see Tammy across the street. Is daytime and summer and its warm. I need a drink.  I see a cabinet that is unfamiliar to me. On top of the cabinet there is what appears to be a double burner heater for heating coffee on, but instead of coffee, one side is empty and the other side has a gallon of milk on it. Its one of those new Cold Burners they have out. Instead of a plate where you can set a pot of coffee to keep it hot, it is a plate where you can set something cold to keep it cold. Interesting. I can't see how that would work very well.  I take the gallon and pour myself a glass of milk.  I take a drink. Its warm. Warm milk. I can taste it, I can feel it in my mouth. Its not spoiled, it tastes like milk but it is warm. So much for the cold burner.

I'm back in my chair. I can hear Tammy letting the dogs in. I'm thinking I hope this THC candy has not made my sleep paralysis worse. At that moment I realize, what all this is. I can't move. I still have the taste of warm milk in my mouth. This time I can't call out but I can let out noises. AHHH!!! AHHHH!!!  Tammy is right there. She was only a few steps away. She is shaking me and I can now talk but can't move. She is shaking me vigorously saying my name loudly but I can't come out of it. I tell her to take my hand and lift my arm. Why? I don't know, but she does. "shake it"  She does, still calling my name out loudly. I finally come out of it. She had an awful time getting me awake. I know, I was there trying to help her do it. My mind is now telling be this was such a bad episode to wake up from because of tkaing the THC candy, which of course I have not taken yet and that won't even arive until later today.

So lets recap. I went to bed thinking that perhaps there could be some relief insight. I get high in my sleep on weed that does not exist, I found out I can truly taste and experience eating things I never ate while in the hallucinative state of sleep paralysis, and I also invented in my mind a home appliance that obviously didn't work well that I called a cold burner.

thecfarm

There has to be something out there that will work. Good luck with the candy. May take a certain amount of even a cetain kind that will work for you.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Wow Jeff, that really is sad and terrifying. I wish I had a solution.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

It sounds like your brain is brewing its own LSD jeff.  Pretty trippy.  I was starting to feel responsible for suggesting a really bad idea there and am hopeful the real test goes better than the mental dry run. 

Thermal plates do exist.  I dont remember exactly how they worked but i was part of a project to prototype a hot or cold drink temp device for automotive consoles.  They are two sided and transfer either hot or cold to the other side.  The fancy coolers out these days probably use them. 
Praise The Lord

pineywoods

Jeff, I'm sending you a pm
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

doc henderson

during an episode of half awake and half asleep, like hypnosis, people are susceptible to suggestion.  Kids waking from a ketamine sedation can hallucinate and have like a night terror, very vivid and calling out, but unable to wake.  We can often tell them to close their eyes and go back to sleep, and they do.  Used to be an experiment in self hypnosis, to repeat a phrase about not being able to let go of a pencil, and susceptible people could not.  All our talk about it may have made you dream it/experience it.  I sadly do not have answers for you.  I hope your "non insurance" will let you see someone at a research university hospital.  We are using Ketamine as a drip to help people with PTSD.  Similar in that you are triggered to relive or have anxiety about past events.  Not sure with sleep paralysis,  The current drugs work they think by keeping you out of REM or dream sleep.

Jeff

Giving up dreaming would be a horrible trade off. Many of the things Ive accomplished in life started out as a dream.

Thank You Sponsors!