iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

There may be a market for this in my area

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, July 14, 2018, 07:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: POSTON WIDEHEAD on July 15, 2018, 05:32:29 PM
I wonder how it would do if you charred a Pine post then put it in the ground?  ::)
It will rot! :D don't ask me how I know :D
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

Sugi is the Japanese name for what we call Japanese Cedar. Like most "cedars" it's a light but quite durable wood. It makes sense the charring the outside of that would make it even more durable. 

Pine? There is only so much you can do with that
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

PA_Walnut

So, to satisfy my curiosity, tried some today with oak and poplar. Love the look.
I have a ceiling I am doing in Poplar and will definitely use this to give it some character.

The quarter sawn oak looks awesome too.

It's: pin oak, quarter sawn red, and poplar, in order.

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Oh oh,watch out,competition all ready. :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: PA_Walnut on July 15, 2018, 08:52:54 PM
So, to satisfy my curiosity, tried some today with oak and poplar. Love the look.
I have a ceiling I am doing in Poplar and will definitely use this to give it some character.

The quarter sawn oak looks awesome too.

It's: pin oak, quarter sawn red, and poplar, in order.

Do you sell alot of that quarter sawn red oak in your area?  I'm supposed to be getting some 24" to 60" red oak logs in soon. Thinking about slabbing some and quarter sawing some.  That wood looks really nice burnt up like that! :) Did you wire brush it some after the burn?
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

btulloh

That qs oak looks great.

I wonder how it would work to do a cabin floor like that. ???
HM126

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I'm gonna slip down to Georgia and scorch some of Ganny's QS slabs.
He'll love me for it. 😂😂😂

Southside

The goat went down to Georgia, 
He was looking for some lumber to seal, he was in a bind because his new show room was way behind, and he is willing to make a deal... 

Posthole fire up your torch and burn that resin hard....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Crossroads

With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

PA_Walnut

Quote from: Lawg Dawg on July 15, 2018, 09:30:21 PMDo you sell alot of that quarter sawn red oak in your area?  I'm supposed to be getting some 24" to 60" red oak logs in soon. Thinking about slabbing some and quarter sawing some.  That wood looks really nice burnt up like that!  Did you wire brush it some after the burn?

I agree...that Shou Sugi Ban quarter sawn looks great. No brushing or fussing...just have a big "weed burner" propane torch and hit it for about 10-15 seconds. I like the look, for what I'm doing, and it's fast/easy and low/no VOC's. :D

As for salability of quarter sawn vs. slabs, it always seems to be a more valuable commodity and easier to handle/dry/sell. It also requires a lot more work. If you haven't quartered yet, look up Yellow's Reverse Roll Quartersawn methods (YRRQS). I sawed on SAT and I think out of about 600 bf of quarter sawn, <6 boards didn't have excellent rays. Good luck!

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Bruno of NH

If I get time this week I'm going to toast some white pine and see how it does.
I think it will sell in my area.
There is a lot of CoCo butters around :)
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

WDH

PAW,

The boot print on the poplar adds some rustic character ;D.

Goat,

If you steal your way down here you will burn up, then have to steal your way back to SC. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

Quote from: WDH on July 16, 2018, 07:14:03 AMThe boot print on the poplar adds some rustic character .

That is a VERY sore subject! When we are handling/stickering lumber I have told me kids (and wife) time and time and time again, not to do that.
Well, I had my test boards on the ground, my 14yr old son come meandering around, interested in the torch of course, and just could NOT keep his hoofs off the material. I keep bourbon in my mill shed, just for these occasions! :-\
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Satamax

Guys, any idea on how those are burned?  ;D

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

YellowHammer

I've been following this OGCWP (Old Goat Charred Wood Product) topic with interest as I'm always trying to learn new things, and my results are mixed at best.  From reading all the posts I'm still not sure I have this worked out but I figured I'd just give it a try.  Maybe you folks can spot where I messed up.

Step 1.  Get some pine.  So I pulled a pallet of pine and moved it outside.

Step 2.  As per PAW, pour some bourbon on top of the wood. Okayyyyy, seems like a waste of good drinking whiskey, but a few bottles of JD Old No. 7 poured on top of the pallet of pine pretty much soaked the wood.

Quote from: PA_Walnut on July 16, 2018, 07:33:07 AMI keep bourbon in my mill shed, just for these occasions.

Step 3.  According to Poston, the whole key to this is using a weed torch. Although he probably has found a few hidden in his logs from the local prison, I didn't have one, so I got the guys at the local mobile home park to help me out.  I waved a few bags of potato chips in front of them, and they eased down my way with their 'Weed Burner."

Step 4.  As per WDH's suggestion, I needed to stand on the bourbon soaked pallet of wood to make sure I have sufficient boot prints to add extra character.

Quote from: WDH on July 16, 2018, 07:14:03 AMThe boot print on the poplar adds some rustic character.
So I put on my best pair of work boots and climbed on the alcohol soaked pile of wood.  I noticed I had accidentally spilled some alcohol on my boots,  what a shame, it's for drinking not spillin.  I'm sure glad alcohol doesn't burn or I might have caught fire.  

Step 5.  Then, according to Southside's instructions, I started the process of "charring" the wood.  I think this may be where I had some issues.  I had to get off the pile of wood when my boots started getting hot.  I don't think I got the timing of this step correct, I need more practice.  

Quote from: Southside logger on July 15, 2018, 11:27:20 PM
Fire up your torch and burn that resin hard.

Step 6. Process complete.  A short time after the fire department left, I was able to inspect the quality of the results.  I think the colors and end product turned out OK, but the usable yield was a little lower than I expected.   Not sure if this will be a money maker for me but I'll ponder it over a few swallows of the Old No. 7 that I had left over.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

POSTON WIDEHEAD

For better results.....use Purple Drank.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

nativewolf

on a serious note ( :D) I believe there was a thread about distressing furniture by charing. I picked up a whole pickup truck load of new distressed oak flooring that had been charred on purpose.  
Liking Walnut

Magicman

The end results will be much better if you stack the lumber in your aluminum framed utility trailer.

You must take care and not have said lumber stacked too close to your building.

If you are not careful you will loose the whole thing and have to start the process all over again.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PA_Walnut

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 16, 2018, 12:48:38 PMStep 5.  Then according to Southside's instructions, I started the process of "charring" the wood.  I think this may be where I had some issues.  I had to get off the pile of wood when my boots started getting hot.

That is some right-funny stuff right there! However, I can tell you that it doesn't fit Zippo's image...they are going for a softer/more modern feel. No pyro, no WWII, and no smoking. LOL! :D(I do work for them).
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

Satamax

Yellohammer, you were trying to play the Jane of Arc game?  ;D
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

WDH

Robert, you got it backwards.  You have to put the bourbon on the bottom of the boot, not the top.  You will have to try it again. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PA_Walnut

Bourbon, big torches, stacks of wood...would could POSSIBLY go wrong? I'm in.  ;D 8)
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I started a simple thread and before long we'll be investigated....😂😂😂
As soon as the smoke clears. 😂

Thank You Sponsors!