iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drawing app/program

Started by Mad Professor, March 10, 2019, 11:33:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Professor

Runing slightly old Mac laptop.

What is available for apps, for drawing, that are free?

I'd like to be able to post ideas here, but scribing them in wood, then taking a picture, then scanning a picture, then getting a PDF......

What is out there?

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

clearcut

Scaled drawings, or sketches? 2D or 3D?

SketchUp comes to mind for 3D, LibreCAD for 2D.

Preview comes with Mac OS and can be used for simple sketches, or annotating images.
Carbon sequestered upon request.

Algorythm

I started using Sketchup 2 years ago. Since then, I already made a few things out of it. I used it when I needed to plate my Kubota L4200. I also used it to design and make roller toe boards for my Norwood sawmill (they sell this thing for 800$ on the site). I started sketching for a house I want to build some day when I have the time and money. I am confident I can make a timber frame using Sketchup (free version) from A to Z (with a lot of time :D).

On Youtube you can find Clark Bremer and Sketchup Basecamp videos. Those give a very good insight of the software. From there you can start learning the basic (making component out of your drawings!). For anyone working with wood or steel at home, Sketchup can be very very useful and allow you to build things very accurately in your shop. Another thing to note, most Sketchup entities are supported by CAD also. While I did not experiment everything Sketchup as to offer, what I have experimented so far goes beyond my expectations for something free.

Also, you can open my house model (.skp file) attached in my roof valley connection post if you want an overview of what Sketchup can do. There are timber frame joineries someone can reuse. The model I sent is not perfect yet but I am working to improve it.
Frank

Mad Professor

Thanks for the help.

I found a free version of sketchup make, a version that you don't need to connected to internet to open/use

sketchup free downloads

Now I need to learn the app..........

flyingparks

I highly recommend watching the sketchup training videos and learning shortcuts. This will save you a great deal of head scratching and frustration.

terrifictimbersllc

I need to try the videos. I've made attempts with sketchup before without getting anywhere significant.  With "make" too recently. Thanks for this suggestion.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Also no idea I could draw with preview. Look at that too.

terrifictimbersllc

Just got an email from sketchup advertising a fundamentals course. 12 courses 48 lessons at learn.sketchup.com

DDW_OR

Quote from: Mad Professor on March 10, 2019, 11:33:23 AM
.....I'd like to be able to post ideas here, but scribing them in wood, then taking a picture, then scanning a picture, then getting a PDF.....
First, a digital camera
I use a GE a1050.
to convert to PDF
cutepdf viewer
it installs as a printer that creates PDF files
"let the machines do the work"

TimFromNB

I used SketchUp to draw out all my frame and joints. I followed a few instructional videos on Youtube to get me started. Personally I wouldn't pay for a course. Only thing I had problems with, is file compatibility with the engineering firm that reviewed them. They use cad files and the free SketchUp version doesn't let you export in .dwg. I used the trial to do it but there were still issues, probably because it was in 3D and they are used to 2D plans.

terrifictimbersllc

I started watching the free Sketchup course at learn.sketchup.com that I mentioned above.  Each lesson is several minutes and they flow one to the next if you don't stop them.  Already within 3-4 lessons that I watched, I saw that it was easy to accomplish some operations that were frustrating trying to do on my own earlier.

I also signed up, and signed in, to the free web version of Sketchup, Free>>>>click Sign Up which looks just like the older sketchup downloads I have used before.  

To really learn from the lessons, I am planning perform the moves in the lesson, alongside in the web app while I watch each lesson.  I am also going to use a mouse as they suggest in the first lesson.

At this point I am optimistic about being able to use SketchUp.  We'll see.

Sixacresand

On a windows computer, try Nanocad. It can be free, but they have versions for sale.  It is almost the same as Autocad.   

I like drawing with Sketchup.  But on my windows 8, eventually, locks it up.  At that point a reset is required, which you loose all your saved files and most of your loaded apps or programs.  Probably just my computer or my version of windows.  

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Algorythm

Terrifictimbersllc, if you use the "online" version of Sketchup, it is a bit different from the one you can download and install (also for free). I recommend you the version you can install if you intend to use it to draw more than just to try (menus are a bit different and less functions I believe). The online version is mostly used for example when you travel elsewhere but you want to show someone on another computer what you made. You avoid the install and dont need everything Sketchup as to offer.

Sixacresand, I am still under Windows 7 and it works fine so to speak. Are you running antivirus? Windows is more prone than Mac to viruses and corrupted data. I am not running any antivirus and I know for sure that the web is not safe. I do experiment blue screens and have to reboot now and then.
Frank

DDW_OR

Quote from: Algorythm on March 17, 2019, 11:01:27 PM
....I am still under Windows 7 and it works fine so to speak. Are you running antivirus? Windows is more prone than Mac to viruses and corrupted data. I am not running any antivirus and I know for sure that the web is not safe. I do experiment blue screens and have to reboot now and then........
my dad and I have the same type of Laptop. each came with Vista that i upgraded to Win 7,
Dad is using PC Matic and I am using Norton.
Each year i remove his HD and hook it up to my computer as a slave. then run a scan using Norton.
i have never found anything wrong.
I then do the scan in reverse and PC Matic finds nothing wrong with my HD.
I have even UN-installed PC Matic on His, installed Norton, and did a FULL scan overnight and found nothing.
to speed up our computers i replaced our HD's with SSD drives
Old HD = 320G, 3.0 G/s
New SSD = 500G,  6.0 G/s
next is to increase the 4G sdram
"let the machines do the work"

Thank You Sponsors!