iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solved!!!! Blackgum. Do You Know Your Bark????

Started by WDH, August 01, 2007, 09:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Radar67

"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Terry, that knobby bark looks very much like persimmon.  It may be hard to see in the pic, but the color is a light brown, not a dark black like persimmon.  That is about as close to persimmon as you can get and still not be persimmon.  The knobbiness is very similar, but the color is very different.................
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

I've seen poplar with bark like that.  could be gum too, but I still stick with my first guess :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Dodgy Loner

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Radar67

Is it of the flowering variety?
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

WDH

The DL has it nailed (why am I surprised??????). 

It is not of the flowering variety, Terry ::).  Another excellent suggestion.  Although some dendrologists have postulated that they are in the same family (Cornaceace), the texts currently do not support this supposition. 

Think diaphragmmed pith................ :).

Lanier_Lurker

WDH

LL!!!!

You are de Man 8) 8).  Good old Nyssa slyvatica ;D.  I am impressed with your rhytidomal phloemic knowledge.  I did not even have to show the leaf pic ;D.

Go you hairy Dog :).

Lanier_Lurker

I got lucky.   :o

Do I know my bark?  Not so much.

Do I know how to bark?  Yes!

Won't be long now.  First up, Oklahoma State on Saturday night 09/01/2007.

Thank You Sponsors!