iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with identifying this wood

Started by kyle6464, March 18, 2015, 09:50:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyle6464

Hey guys I am new to this site and looking for some help in identifying this type of wood.  I am located in south central MN.  A buddy of mine has a small grove he wanted cleaned out and this is one of the trees located in the grove.  There were some ash and a few dead elms also in the grove.  Almost all of the trees were straight up and down with no branches for about 30ft up.  At first I thought they were elm but after cutting them I changed my mind.  The grain is really yellow(the pics don't show it that well) and some of the trees had started to rot on the inside.  I looked on a few forums and saw some similar people saying it was mulberry.  Any info or help would be greatly appreciated

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

gfadvm

Yep, looks like mulberry from here. I love mulberry but not too many to be had here.  If any of those are big enough, quarter saw em.  I have found some amazing grain in QS mulberry.  Update your profile so we know where you are. And if you are near me, you might want to lock your gate at night :)

sandsawmill14

i agree with pineywoods looks like sassafras to me  around here the mulberry bark looks like that but is not that coarse. But if its sassafras it should have a strong smell when cutting its not a bad smell but strong the roots make good tea ;D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

BBTom

I am not very familiar with mulberry, but the fact that it was in a grove and yellow in color makes me think it is black locust.  The end grain looks right for locust and the center rot is normal too.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

kyle6464

I live in Southern Minnesota, the closest area that Sassafras is located in is extreme southern Iowa.

beenthere

Kyle
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Look like black locust to me... at least the bark does.

Is it real hard wood, ..  harder than ash or the elm?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

kyle6464

It doesnt have any distinct smell when cutting.  It also splits like a dream 1-2 whacks with the ol ax is all it takes.  Its lighter in weight than ash or elm.   I threw a small green piece in my central boiler and popped and threw alot of sparks.

JohnW

Yes, I would think black locust.  Good black locust too.

Sassafras looks a lot like that too, but it's orange just under the bark.  Remember?

SwampDonkey

Black locust, they planted them as yard trees here years ago and spread like weeds around towns.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pullerbob

Black locust, looks like what I have and I have a bunch of BL trees.

sandsawmill14

may be black locust  ours is a little darker colored than that but may be because im farther south. I would think you would smell the sassafras.  black locust gets extremely hard when it dries out so if your gonna mill it i wouldnt wait very long. Makes very good post we have some  in a fence row on our farm that are over 60 years old  :o
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

JimBod.

WM LT 30
Stihl 441 cm, 031av, ms 250, 015.
Case 1840
E 2400

WV Sawmiller

If green does it have a green peanut smell? Locust does. If its locust they make good posts and barn poles. Will be heavy.

Sassafras has a distinct smell. I bought some tanning chemicals in NC one time to tan a coon hide for my son and it had Sassafras in it which could be readily smelled. Sassafras is pretty light weight wood.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WDH

I, too, am in the black locust camp.  If black locust, it will have only one or two sapwood rings and the pores will be filled with tyloses.  Mulberry pores are not filled with tyloses.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Black Locust to me and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, kyle6464.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doctorb

Ditto on Black Locust.  Bark, color, prominent rings.  Mine looks a little greener, but otherwise a dead-ringer for Black Locust.  You've got yourself some great fence posts or firewood there!
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Cazzhrdwd

It's absolutely black locust, some very nice ones too.
96 Woodmizer LT40Super  Woodmizer 5 head moulder

Thank You Sponsors!