iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 346xp vs echo 501sx

Started by gregorymk2, February 24, 2019, 08:29:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregorymk2

I am not a pro i will use them for about 5 weekends per year for firewood I am between these two, I realy like 346xp  but i think echo is also a very good chainsaw the price is about the same + 5 years warranty,service-parts for both of them is perfect.I would like some help wich one to choose,my previous saws partner 5000,

McCulloch 484 and 2 small 1 komatsu and 1 oleo mac.

wild262

Go with the Echo.  For the amount of use were talking, that's the way to go.  Echo is cheaper constructed saw with a plastic case instead of magneisem.  Homeowner/ranch/ocassional use saw vs a "pro" saw.  However, the Echo is one of the better homeowner saws when compaired to the other brands in my opinion.  As far as the warranty goes, that's a crap shoot, and that depends a lot on the dealer whether it will be honored or not.  Most will try put the blame on you with bad fuel if they can.  You can find a good used saw just as well for your needs, and sometimes get a good "pro" class for a good price.  Just shop around.

wild262

Allar

If you can sharpen a chain 346xp will put a smile on your face.
If you can't sharpen a chain it doesn't matter which one you get.
Firewood & Chainsaw videos: Firewood Warrior - YouTube

gregorymk2

Inaotherlife

Quote from: wild262 on February 24, 2019, 10:35:40 AM
Go with the Echo.  For the amount of use were talking, that's the way to go.  Echo is cheaper constructed saw with a plastic case instead of magneisem.  Homeowner/ranch/ocassional use saw vs a "pro" saw.  However, the Echo is one of the better homeowner saws when compaired to the other brands in my opinion.  As far as the warranty goes, that's a crap shoot, and that depends a lot on the dealer whether it will be honored or not.  Most will try put the blame on you with bad fuel if they can.  You can find a good used saw just as well for your needs, and sometimes get a good "pro" class for a good price.  Just shop around.
All the Echo 50cc saws are mag case with adjustable oiler. And the 501SX is their premier 50cc offering. You must be thinking of the Stihl and Husky farm saws.

Inaotherlife

So the 346 is used? 
I'd favor the Echo for being new, and a little lighter. And I like the bar that it comes with.

But the Husky probably spins a bit faster if that's your thing. And it's got a classic appeal.

wild262

Quote from: Inaotherlife on February 24, 2019, 08:58:14 PM
Quote from: wild262 on February 24, 2019, 10:35:40 AM
Go with the Echo.  For the amount of use were talking, that's the way to go.  Echo is cheaper constructed saw with a plastic case instead of magneisem.  Homeowner/ranch/ocassional use saw vs a "pro" saw.  However, the Echo is one of the better homeowner saws when compaired to the other brands in my opinion.  As far as the warranty goes, that's a crap shoot, and that depends a lot on the dealer whether it will be honored or not.  Most will try put the blame on you with bad fuel if they can.  You can find a good used saw just as well for your needs, and sometimes get a good "pro" class for a good price.  Just shop around.
All the Echo 50cc saws are mag case with adjustable oiler. And the 501SX is their premier 50cc offering. You must be thinking of the Stihl and Husky farm saws.

So it is.  Was thinking about the sub 50cc saws I guess.  That should make his choice even easier then.  

Fishnuts2

I like both, but if you bought the 346 it would still be worth what you paid 5 years from now providing it was cared for properly.  It has a huge following for a reason. 

gregorymk2

Both are new,my only "concern" is that husky has been around since 1999 if i'm not wrong however it's great a saw, sharpening a chain is not a problem.
My favorite chainsaw is 346xp but echo has also very good specs.
I'm planing to run it  for 15-20 years of careful amatuer but hard use.Dolmar 5105?The dealer that has echo also has 
(Maruyama mcv 5100s which i think is the same exept the colors) or stay with the 2 others?

wild262

Quote from: gregorymk2 on February 25, 2019, 02:58:06 AM
Both are new,my only "concern" is that husky has been around since 1999 if i'm not wrong however it's great a saw, sharpening a chain is not a problem.
My favorite chainsaw is 346xp but echo has also very good specs.
I'm planing to run it  for 15-20 years of careful amatuer but hard use.Dolmar 5105?The dealer that has echo also has
(Maruyama mcv 5100s which i think is the same exept the colors) or stay with the 2 others?

If you got a chance to buy a "new" 346 at a decent price then I would jump at the chance.  These are not made anymore, and are rare to find new.  The only reason I suggested the Echo is because the frequency of use, and the fact that most likely the 346 would be in used condition.   Not many people want to buy a pro saw for just 5 weekends of use per year.   Either would serve the purpose fine, but as already said, the re-sale value would be much greater down the road if that matters to you.  There's also 2 different models of 346xp also, as you may know.  I have both, and not much difference in "felt power or speed" one over the other.  That older Dolmar 5105, is a heck of a saw to, but heavier & a bit more power than either one of the others.  Since Makita took over, I don't know if this model is still available in the new colors of Makita or not.  My choice - - - would be the 346 IF your not paying a crazy price for it.  ;)

gregorymk2

Here in Greece 346xp is easy to find almost every husqvarna dealer has one yet.I have not decide yet
echo is a very good chainsaw  but probably i want a husky :-\ or echo :-\?definetly both of them are great.

Allar

I have a solution for you!
Get em both  8)

wild262

L O L   :D  If he gets them both, that Echo will just gather dust. :D    Who knows, maybe his dealer will have demo's. :)

ladylake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUkN4gnmZMM

And the Echo is tuned rich.   Both are good saws, the Echo will be a bit lighter and have a nice wide power band.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

gregorymk2

Yesterday i get the cs-501sx im my hands , it feels very little or almost the same lighter than 346xp it seems to be a very well made saw after all it has a tag on it "made in japan" which is important for anything not only a chainsaw.
Weight is important (+0.6 kilos and 8+ hours working) thats why dolmar 5105 and stihl 271 485 euro(i felt the weight difference a lot with 271) are out for me 5.6kg(12.3lb) for both german saw vs 5(11lb) husky 550 eyro and
 4.7(10.3lb)echo 499 euro the stihl261 covers my needs but my wallet doesn't cover it's price 700euro.Conclusion still haven't decide maybe i will leave it for a couple of days and we will see.Thank you all for your advice's and your time.

Allar

Have you considered Husqvarna 545? It's cheaper than 550xp but performance wise there's not much difference.

gregorymk2

795 euro in Greece and 550xp 699euro

Allar

wait what.. 545 is more expensive than 550xp???

gregorymk2

Thank You Sponsors!