iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dodgy Loner - Master Hand Saw Sharpener

Started by WDH, December 26, 2013, 06:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Dodgy Loner has honed his skill as a hand saw sharpener.  He loves hand tools, and has learned how to sharpen old antique hand saws.  I have an old Disston hand saw that was made between 1917 and 1928.  He and his Dad, Forum member Red Clay Hound, came over today to sharpen this beautiful old saw. 

He first used a hammer to lightly tap the saw flat on a piece of pecan ( smiley_devil). 

He then filed each tooth, first to joint (flatten all the teeth), then filing each individual tooth.  then, he set each tooth with a setter, then touched up each tooth again. 

On the test cut, before sharpening, it took 29 strokes to cut through a pine board.  After sharpening, it took just 12 strokes to cut through the same board.  Thank you for a sharp new old saw!

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SPIKER

WHD:

I think you might have messed up some, NOW you are gonna have to go cut twice as many boards just to get the same amount of exercise!    ::)lol

Hope you paid him well without it being the "Liquid Cash" smiley_beertoast smiley_alcoholic_01 (until after they were done sharpening all them saws!)
::) :D
Great Photos!! 8)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Dave Shepard

I've been studying hand saw sharpening. I've gotten a book or two and a video yesterday. I have an old cast iron vise, but a friend of mine has an old wooden one that I'd like to copy.

Good to see Dodgy is still at it. Haven't seen him around the Forum lately. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

This is a talent that is slowly disappearing.
Ya really should make a video, Dodgy and Red.  :)
Great job.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ancjr

Definitely appreciate the old tools.    Picked up a 28" #4 Disston a while back.  Working on making my own set of hand planes.  Good stuff!

Hilltop366

it's a bit far to send mine for sharpening.

I went to the scrap yard last fall with some old truck parts to get rid of, I looked in the back of one of the scrap trucks and there were two old Disston saws, I asked how much they wanted for them and the guy there said take them.

Magicman

Keep Dodgy Loner distracted over there, 'cause when he gets back home I have got to saw that Cherry for him.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

MM,

He mentioned that.  Let the guilty confess  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

There are many excuses, but the truth can not be denied.   ::)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: SPIKER on December 26, 2013, 06:48:53 PM
Hope you paid him well without it being the "Liquid Cash" ...

Hmmm.... "Liquid Cash" ...

I didn't know WDH was a moonshiner...

:D :D :D :D

Herb

SwampDonkey

A sharp edge is certainly better than a dull one.  ;D

I see Dodgy must have come down from deer camp, been working on a beard I see. ;)

Good stuff.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Dodgy Loner

Well, I am finally back home after 9 days on the holiday road trip :new_year:

Danny is too kind. I am no master sharpener - adequate at best. But my skills appear favorable when wielded on a saw that hasn't been sharpened in half a century or more :). Danny's saw, a Disston D8, is a fine one, and I fully expect that his Delta chopsaw will be for sale before too long ;)

Danny gave Red Clay Hound and I the tour of his new kiln - it was quite impressive. I always enjoy seeing the pharaonic projects he has brought to completion since my last visit.

Lynn- I look forward to seeing you soon ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

It is a DeWalt, not a Delta, and it is only $299  :D.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Holmes

Poston slabs, direct.com  We cheat the other guy and pass the savings on to you!!!  :o 8)
Think like a farmer.

Holmes

Looks like a job very well done by Dodgy Loner. It is good to see the old saws being refurbished.
Think like a farmer.

Thank You Sponsors!