iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LogHogs, Log Boss, Timberlok, Olyscrew?

Started by onegunsmith, October 20, 2013, 10:50:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onegunsmith

It seems you can find anything on the internet except what your looking for. I'm planning a small trapper cabin in remote Alaska. I plan to mill my logs out of beetle kill spruce, making 6x6's. I'm trying to decide on which of these screws to use. The Log Boss looks to be the most expensive of all the black screws so i would like to eliminate that option unless it offeres something the others don't. Are any of these screws that much better than the others?

Thanks

Brad_bb

Not sure where you're planning to use them, but Timberlok is a good screw.  The coating is really good/tough and won't come off during installation.  I know a number of timberframers and barn restorers who use and like them.  I used them for various things, but not in a timberframe itself, that would be sacrilegious to the purists.
Here is what they say:
Stronger design shear values than 3/8" lags
Nationally recognized testing and code approvals
Sharp point and aggressive thread penetrate the densest woods without predrilling
Unique tapered head countersinks easily into wood for flush appearance
Proprietary three-step coating process protects against corrosion, even in pressure treated wood. ACQ approved
Available in a variety of sizes
Free bit included
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

onegunsmith

I'm going to use them to screw the logs together in typical log cabin fashion.

Dave Shepard

I used hundreds of Headlok screws on my barn restorations. There were a lot of face patches on the sheathing side where we needed to have good nailing surfaces. The Headlok is like the Timberlok, but has a 5/8" diameter flat head that screws in flush.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Heartwood

There's a good article on timber screws in the latest Timber Framing magazine from the Timber Framers Guild. Note that for green timbers or logs the threads should only go into the timber your screwing to, and a shank cutter above the threads will allow the mating timber to settle as they shrink.

Thank You Sponsors!