iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber wrap a luxury or essential???

Started by kderby, February 22, 2007, 09:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

I have a local large mill that had kindly given me used lumber wrap and broken kiln stickers.  They just sold me a roll of lumber wrap from a defunct branch of the company.  I am going through it like candy!  Next I am wondering If I can afford a roll of wrap and where do I get one.  I have not seen much on the forum about the good and bad of lumber wrap. 

My question is...am I creating a wreck putting paper backed wrap on lumber units that are wet?  Do you have any success or horror stories regarding lumber wrap??????

Thanks Y'all

Kendall ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jeff

I gotta think if you are wrapping wet lumber, it aint good.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

I thought the wrap was to keep the dry wood dry from the elements.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

kderby

Thanks Gents,

I am not wrapping green lumber and expecting it to remain bright and mold free.  I am using the wrap as a cheap version of a shed to keep rain and snow off of the unit, or I am wrapping to protect the dry lumber from re-wetting.

I now have a three thousand square foot shed that will solve most of the problems.

I still want to know what others use wrap for...good and in error. I wrote a couple companies asking for lumber wrap samples and literature.  There is a company now making a water absorbent wrap that is recycleable...WOW!  I also posted a wanted sign on this forum.  The lumber wrap seems like a good quality control and marketing angle.  I am suprised we have not talked about it more.

Kendall 

beenthere

Depending on price, seems you could use the house wrap, that will prevent water movement, but not water vapor movement.
I'm assuming your green lumber is stickered, not solid stacked. Air movement through the pile should be your best bet, with protection from rain and snow with a cover on top. Any building supply will have the house wrap. It's pretty popular on new houses now.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Burlkraft

I use lumber wrap on all the wood I got air drying. I just use it on top...The sides are open to air movment. I just went out and looked and I can't see any mold...a lotta snow...but no mold... :D :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

jim king

kderby:

I use plastic as a tool to keep my products clean and make a good retail presentation.

My boards are are all shrink wrapped and the turning blanks are vacum packed.  The shrink wrap keeps the MC at kiln dry % here in the jungle plus makes a nice presentation and the vacum pack keeps the blanks moist and without mold in a presentable form .

Then we package everything in plywood crates and use strech wrap to keep the crates clean.  Then away it goes to the States.

Thank You Sponsors!