iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvesting forestland.

Started by BrandonTN, June 07, 2006, 07:15:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BrandonTN

How profitable can harvesting, say, 40 acres of owned forestland be? 
How is it harvested(certain types of trees at a time?), and how often can it be harvested?

I have a long term goal of buying some forestland to harvest, and possibly put a cabin on.

Thanks in advance for the help.  :P

~Brandon

Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Ron Scott

The timber values will depend on the local markets, individual species and their specific sale values depending upon size, quality, quantity, logging chance and wood products in demand.

40 acres of timber here may sell from a low of $100.00/acre to a high of $2,000/acre depending upon the variable factors I mentioned.

Before you purchase any specific timber lands with an objective to harvest timber commercially, it is best to have a professional Consulting Forester complete a timber appraisal and market anaysis for the specific property so that you will have an idea of the existing and potential timber values in addition to the existing land value before you purchase the property.
~Ron

tnlogger

It depends on the location as well as the speices. If you are looking for a long term investment contact
a state forester and have them do a site survey they can advise you on what to do too inprove the stand
as well as give you information on local loggers that are in your area. With proper management a 40 acre track will only increase in value as time passes.
gene

jrdwyer

The rates of return from managed hardwood forestland over time using proper selective harvesting, timber stand improvement and other good management techniques can be 10%-20% per year. This is the goal we shoot for.

Unfortunately, there are many ways to lower the quality of a woodland over time and the rates of return that go along with it. Practices like high-grading a woods, intensive cattle or livestock grazing, hot forest fires, and severe skidder rutting on wet soils greatly reduce the potential of a forest.

In addition to the man caused stuff, you also have the natural productivity of a given piece of land. Does the site have shallow soils with a clay layer or are the soils deep and well drained loams with good aspects? Are the tree species on the site a good mix for the soils and topography?

Suitable access can make or break a tract of timber from a marketability standpoint.  This is often overlooked.

Good adjoining landowners are also important. A neighbor who sets his woods on fires would obviously be bad. I saw quite a bit of this in eastern Kentucky when I helped put the fires out. Other issues with neighbors include property lines and tresspass (hunting or ATVs or timber theft).

Get the assistance of a forester before making any decision.

Phorester

BRANDON, check out the soil type on any property you are looking at to buy.  The soil will determine what tree species will grow there the best and will determine rotation lengths between harvests.

JDLAWYER has real good points.  I'd add to check out any zoning, and the Comprehenxive Plan of the County.  No need to buy a patch of woods that is eventually slated for industrial development or a new highway.

Bottom line, as already recomended, buy no forested property as a long term investment without having a professional forester look at it for you. 

BrandonTN

Thanks, guys.  Of course, it's several years down the road before I'm ready to, but I'll definitely consult a prof. forester. Sounds fun. :D
Forester, Nantahala National Forest

Thank You Sponsors!