iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Up'n running.

Started by DanG, November 13, 2003, 05:56:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Finally got the mill running again today. 8) 8)  Borrowed a tach from a friend to set the rpm correctly. It is VERY obvious that the engine was running way too fast, before. I set the max speed to 2500 rpm, like it's supposed to be, and it idles at about 1200. I don't know what it was set at before, but it was WAY higher. Seems like the idle was set at more than the 2500, now that I know what it's supposed to sound like. :P
Sawed up one little pine log and got some nice boards, then the cable that operates the board return broke. Went up to Mr. Hootie's place and got a control cable off of some kind of an aircraft from one of the World Wars. Got no idea what it went on, but he had a wad of them still in their paper wrappers. :)  Picked up some other misc items, then went to the tomato field for a last grab before tonight's freeze finishes them off. Picked 2 48qt coolers + a 5gal bucket full. Will share some with the folks at work, and keep some in the "Beergerator" to use at home. Should still be eating fresh sliced tomatoes at Christmas. :D
That tomato guy is some kinda farmin' fool. He grows 300 acres of tomatoes, 200 in the spring, and 100 in the fall. He'll plant cucumbers on the same stakes we picked from today, in the spring. He followed his spring tomatoes with a late watermelon crop, which he finished picking in late october. He told me he averaged 55,000lbs per acre on the melons! :o
He also said he was going to drop a "few" pines during the off-season to build a barn or two.  The "little" one will be 30x60, and the other one will be 100x300. Wanted to know if I'd like to saw it up for him. ::)  Well, YES! ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Sounds like yer jest FULL of good news. When we had the "Porsche" engine, it was winding about 50,000 RPM's. Sure sawed quick, though ::) :D :D :D
  Good to hear yer back to sawin.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

music_boy

Hey,
     If we had any tomatoes, they blew away in this wind..............Jeeeez
Glad your runin
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

jwood

DanG i bet that was a sweet sound when ya fired that mill up.
bet it was an even better feelin when you made a little saw dust..i'm gonna have to come up there an you take me to hooties..i love plunderin thru a place like that..how long before
the phone co. turns ya loose so ya can play full time...later

DanG

Hey, J.  Last day of my present incarceration is to be on, or about Feb. 06, 2004. That's less than 3 months away! ;D 8) ;D 8) :D 8)  I'll trade ya a plunder at Hootie's place fer float on the Flats. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Paul_H

Glad to hear that your sawing again DanG.I'm about finished til Spring now,,just a few more logs to keep the customers happy.

I like the other 3 seasons,but I hate Winter :(
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

jwood

DanG  thats a deal..we do need to wait till the wind dies down a little..they are still lookin for those 4 guys that capsized  last weekend ..
 only three months till you can do your thing fulltime or part time or sometime.. 8)  thats great...

D._Frederick

DanG.
What rpm does MD run there VW engine at to saw?  The MD I have seen sawing, the engine seems to be running on the slow side to have any real power,  but with only a half dozen teeth they don't need much power.

DanG

D, the recommended rpm is 2500. The throttle has 3 settings; idle, 2200, and 2500. That puts it within the "power curve", and the belt driven governor opens the throttle as needed, so you get all the engine has, when you need it. I thought it sounded too slow, too, but I'd been listening to mine screaming at me. It never occurred to me that it would be off, so I didn't check it. When I saw/heard the one John had at Moultrie, I was surprised at how slow it sounded. I set mine by ear yesterday, then my buddy brought his tach over this morning. I had it set at about 2750.

ScottAR

Got any pics?  These MD mills intrigue me...

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

OneWithWood

DanG,
Glad to hear you are back in business.  The next three months will go by quickly.  Sing a few bars of Rickie Havens Freedom every day and you won't feel your feet hit the ground
 8) 8) 8)

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sawmill_john

Dan, I'm so glad to hear that your back in business!  You must be doing your home work, I think I'll start refuring all the trouble shooting calls to you from now on.  
Sorry I havn't been posting or even logging on to the forum, but its taken this long just to get caught up form our east coast trip this year, both at work and at home.

Keep those teeth sharp!

John

Frank_Pender

Golly geeee, John, you are back on themainland.  I was begining to wonder if you were staying with Steve to cut Koa and amybe never come back to the land of the living. 8)
Frank Pender

sawmill_john

Ya Ya, Frank I've been hiding from you!  I saw your post for a swing saw, I feel so bad I have that DanG! thing sitting in my garage collecting dust.  If I wait any longer I might have to put it to work, I've now accumulated about 2000 bdf of american chestnut logs and pieces, and have a guy who has two nice 30" x 20' black walnut logs that he wants cut into? you wouldn't have any ideas for selling some of this stuff would you, I've been working on a few leads, nothing firm yet.

John

Frank_Pender

I will be to Troutdale on Tuesday to get the Saw. ;D
Frank Pender

T_in_SC

ScottAR
Here are a couple pics from Moultrie if I can get it to work.  I had to reduce to 4% to get to 15K!

T_in_SC

beenthere

Standing too close?   ::) ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

T_in_SC

They looked good before I tried posting them. ???

Fla._Deadheader

In yer first attempt at getting them on yer puter from the camera or floppy, didja reduce the image size to around 325 X 300 pixels??? That will get ya real close to the 15K. From there , ya might hafta use yer optimizer program to reduce to just under 15K. THEN ya put 'em on the forum. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

DanG

Well I'll be DanG, T!(actually, I am DanG  :D)  What day was you there? It's a shame we didn't run across each other. :-/
Looks like them wuz some good pics. Hope you can get them
straightened out. ;D

sawmill_john

Here you go Dan, I caught a few pictures down in GA.

this one cut up into 20' long full 2 x 6's.  It was my first Southern Yellow Pine, sure was different from the pine I've cut before.

this is what was left over.

DanG, Fla_Deadheader, Tom & sawmill_john

T_in_SC

Here's another attempt on those Mobile Dimension pics from Moultrie.

T_in_SC

Well, I'm getting closer.  That was supposed to be 3 different Pictures.

DanG
  I was there on Wednesday from 11 to 3, sorry I missed all you guys.  I kept looking for Forestry Forum hats.

Fla._Deadheader

WELL DanG. We were all around the MD machine. Show us yer mug shot and maybe someone will remember seein ya. ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!