iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bandsaw blade storage ??

Started by sawman, November 24, 2003, 07:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawman

Was readin back thru some topics here and ran across one on bandsaw blades. Mention was made to be sure and store them properly. Tried to do a search and came up empty.
  What is the proper way to store these blades?
  Thanks
'14 LT40 Hydraulic 26 HP koehler ,massey ferguson 2200 forklift, Case IH D40
Wallenstein FX85

dail_h

When I worked for the flooring co., I coiled the sharp ones,and just hung the dull ones on a nail. Didn't hardly ever get'um mixed up.
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

solidwoods

Dail H
This is an area bandsaw millers  can make milling easy or hard.

Take care of the box that they came in you'll need it to ship for re-sharp.

New/sharpened blade. " Store it in a cool dry place" Don't let them rust in the box (they will if you give em a chance).
I don't have any problem myself with keeping new/sharp blades in the box vs. un-coiled and hung up.  I think either should be fine.

Used blade
Clean it before you take it off the machine or the day that you took it off or put it in a blade cleaner solution to soak.
Sawdust left on the blade will attract moisture and rust your investment.  
It can rust the gullet so bad that it will have to be sharpened more than normal just to get the rot out.

This is where you stop the creation of one of the biggest hazards to quality cuts.  A rust pitted blade body.  It doesn't look very harmless,  but there are so many things happening during the cutting action that an irregularity on the blade body can cause all kinds of unpredictable cutting problems. This makes it hard to tell if cut problems are the mill, blade sharp/set, the type of blade or its set.  

I wouldn't put the dulls back in the box untill just before shipping, so you will know there condition just before shipping (not rusted).  
Load the blade box for shipping.  
Cardboard divider on the bottom will preserve the box
Place blade in the box "blades back to back" with cardboard dividers between each layer.
To get the most value from the shipping cost, know what the optimum blade per box count is to get the best shipping rate, and put that many blades in box  as a minimum.

A rust patch or patches will screw-up a blade faster than sawdust.  Same true with a blade that had rust but now feels slick, look close it could be pitted.  And this is not big pitted. Any blade body defects could do strange cuts.  
You can angle grind it with cup brush but sometimes it's just polished pitted blade (*run it and watch it)

Carrying it to the job.
Don't stack then togather, or put them togather in any way!!!
They rub the sharp edges off.
Simple as that, don't pay to have it sharpened then rub them together before you even get a chance to use them.
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

pappy

Take em out of the box so's they reel-lax

I oil em real good, special sauce 25% kero - 75% 10 wt. stored in a coffee can w/ lid

Keep em up on the ceiling joist in the mill til' I need em.

I sharpen my own and rotate 6 to 8 @ a time, but buy em by the dozen.  

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Thank You Sponsors!