iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

More Pics of my sawmill build

Started by larrydown60, May 17, 2016, 11:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larrydown60

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 26, 2017, 06:29:24 PM
Check your set. Sounds like you need more.
Kbeitz I have been running these blades for a little while 7 and 10 degree they have been cutting great that is why when it started diving I thought something was out of wack but it turns out it was just that blade. After the new blade started cutting straight I put the blade that was diving back on and it was still diving I will send it back when I order next batch of blades. I will try some 4 degree blades next batch

Kbeitz

Quote from: larrydown60 on October 27, 2017, 10:26:05 AM
Quote from: Kbeitz on October 26, 2017, 06:29:24 PM
Check your set. Sounds like you need more.
Kbeitz I have been running these blades for a little while 7 and 10 degree they have been cutting great that is why when it started diving I thought something was out of wack but it turns out it was just that blade. After the new blade started cutting straight I put the blade that was diving back on and it was still diving I will send it back when I order next batch of blades. I will try some 4 degree blades next batch

Check the set of both the good and the bad blades and let us know if there is a difference.
Maybe you got a blade with no set.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

Today I loaded my biggest log yet 28" x 10' white pine the winch loader loaded it up with no hesitation.  I think I like it LOL

Kbeitz

I love White Pine. On my mill I need a lot of set in the blade to get a nice cut...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

I need to get my mill done. I am getting jealous.

larrydown60

Quote from: Crusarius on October 27, 2017, 07:24:35 PM
Crusarius your build is flying compared to mine it took over 2 years to build mine you are making me look bad and really slow LOL

Darrel

Quote from: larrydown60 on October 27, 2017, 09:38:13 PM
Quote from: Crusarius on October 27, 2017, 07:24:35 PM
Crusarius your build is flying compared to mine it took over 2 years to build mine you are making me look bad and really slow LOL

And it took the rest of us two years just to read about it and look at the pictures! 8)
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Crusarius

I am just really anxious to get sawing and get my shop.

larrydown60

Crappy day out today rain and chilly with 1,000s of geese headed south. these are some pictures of the lumber I got out of the last log I loaded up. I would like to know if I should be getting more bft out of a blade?  I am only getting about 400 bft out of a blade and in white pine I am getting wavey on my 2 x 4 s around knots is this normal?  I am using 7 degree blades on this go round.

Kbeitz

If they are in NY today then I guess I'll be seeing them tomorrow in Pa.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

larrydown60

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 29, 2017, 09:22:48 PM
If they are in NY today then I guess I'll be seeing them tomorrow in Pa.
I am only 40 min from Pa Border 30 mile north of Binghamton NY They probably took them 20 mins as the crow flies I kind wish the geese would stay and the damned crows would leave, they come to the city in the winter and crap all over everything and tear the trash bags open all winter and there is no open season on them in the city. LOL

larrydown60

Got another load of spruce today Got the last of the white pine loaded onto the mill and went to start the mill and all I got was sparks jumping out of the motor slide must be I have a bad ground.I will move the ground wire from the saw frame to the bolt on the motor mount. 

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

larrydown60

Crusarius

Larry, do you find the need for 2 axles? Mine is going to have a 24' bed and I was only planning 1.

Florida boy

From what I can tell with our syp  is that a slightly dull blade will leave wavy cuts, knots will definitely  wave even with a sharp blade of you don't go slow. I usually get more then 400 bf but am also usually cutting 2x material. I thinking I get between 700 and a thousand but if there is sand or dirt in the logs it drops significantly. Just my 2 cents

larrydown60

Quote from: Crusarius on November 01, 2017, 11:06:57 AM
Larry, do you find the need for 2 axles? Mine is going to have a 24' bed and I was only planning 1.
not yet  but I am planning on a trip to florida with the mill it will help with speed and the distanceI will be driving. The mill weighs about 4000 lbs

Jack S

When I built my mill trailer I put tandem axles also, mainly for stability and ride. A single axle tends to bound where as a tandem just seems to float going down the road. I feel it will make it a lot easier on the mill. When Larry goes down 81 and 95 he will appreciate what I mean especially when going over every bridge overpass. been running that route over 25 years and it never gets any better  Jack

Crusarius

I have a torsion axle from a horse trailer. I dunno how bad it is going to bounce. we will see.

Jack S

Crusarius, I have a 12 foot enclosed trailer with the torsion suspension and it works great. 20 years so far but having owned tandem equipment trailers they just ride so much better, they just float over the bumps. My feeling is why not help keep our mills from getting kicked around. might keepem more accurate. by the way you and Larry both have been doing a super job on your mill builds

larrydown60

Hi everyone after a year of surgeries and healing from toe and knee surgeries I am back and started sawing again  I will be showing a few videos later of a few things I have done in the last couple of weeks. 

bwstout

I like your mill have one looks a lot like it I got plans from Texas Ben off ebay.
home built mill

larrydown60

Quote from: bwstout on May 14, 2018, 02:34:27 PM
I like your mill have one looks a lot like it I got plans from Texas Ben off ebay.
That is who I got my plans from but I made it wider 36" and I also made so it would lift 36" tall and a few other modifications. 

bwstout

i whish I had done the same I stayed with the plans and now have a pecan log and sycamore that is the 36" range I will have to do a little chain sawing before I can cut them. My intentions  were to build a mill so to cut bowl blanks and not have to split the logs with a chain saw. But as it always happens it gets bigger and friends what something now I saw lumber and have plans to build a kiln before summer ends
home built mill

larrydown60

bwstout, I also have plans on building 1-2. Just got a 1964 2010 John Deere Industrial tractor with a front loader to help lift the logs on to the mill and move the logs around

Thank You Sponsors!