iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Diesel on the Rise

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, March 30, 2018, 09:09:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I called and had them fill up my mill tank today.
Bought 200 gallons for $500.

The guy said glad you got it when you did. Its gonna keep going up.  :o :o :o
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

Do you use off road, no tax stuff??
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

PA_Walnut

I own my own small piece of the world on an 8 acre plot on the side of a mountain with walnut, hickory, ash and spruce.
LT40HD Wide 35HP Diesel
Peterson Dedicated Wide Slabber
Kubota M62 Tractor/Backhoe
WoodMizer KD250 Kiln
Northland 800 Kiln

sawguy21

Onroad diesel is staying constant at least for the moment. Gasoline is all over the map, I think the execs get wired on espresso and throw darts at the morning meeting.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ron Wenrich

Crude is up about 50% since last June.  The boys from the Middle East turn back the taps to raise the price of crude and better their bottom line.  The price fell when ISIS took over some of the oil fields and was using crude to fund their army.  The Saudis opened the taps to bring down the price.  In addition, a lot of US crude came onto the market, which swelled supply.  The ISIS factor has changed.

In recent months, the value of the dollar has dropped about 5% since November.  That adds a bit more to the price of crude.  Currently, the Chinese are going to add crude to their commodity trading.  They're trying to bust the petro-dollar cycle and deal directly with oil producers by using the yuan.  That might also add a bit to the price by driving down the dollar.  

According to the local gas station, diesel is just home heating oil with tax.  The usual trend is for diesel to go up in the winter as more homes are using heat than AC.  That causes more demand for diesel, and that sends the price up.  Winter is hanging on a little longer than normal this year, so the price hasn't gone back down yet.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Peter Drouin

Yes, all the same, off road has no tax and is red.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

snowstorm

its not all the same. on and off road is uls. heating oil is not according to my fuel supplier. there was talk of it. dont think its happened yet. thats why off road is higher priced than heating oil. the cheapest way to get off road is to buy on rd and apply for the tax refund from the state and fed

Banjo picker

Oil producing countries that sell to the US try to walk the fine line where they can get a premium for their crude and still keep the price per barrel just under where its not quite profitable enough to cause extensive new drilling or extracting to get underway.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Matt601

Quote from: Ron Wenrich on March 31, 2018, 06:30:00 AM
Crude is up about 50% since last June.  The boys from the Middle East turn back the taps to raise the price of crude and better their bottom line.  The price fell when ISIS took over some of the oil fields and was using crude to fund their army.  The Saudis opened the taps to bring down the price.  In addition, a lot of US crude came onto the market, which swelled supply.  The ISIS factor has changed.

In recent months, the value of the dollar has dropped about 5% since November.  That adds a bit more to the price of crude.  Currently, the Chinese are going to add crude to their commodity trading.  They're trying to bust the petro-dollar cycle and deal directly with oil producers by using the yuan.  That might also add a bit to the price by driving down the dollar.  

According to the local gas station, diesel is just home heating oil with tax.  The usual trend is for diesel to go up in the winter as more homes are using heat than AC.  That causes more demand for diesel, and that sends the price up.  Winter is hanging on a little longer than normal this year, so the price hasn't gone back down yet.
Oil dropped because of rising in US oil out put and Iran trade was lifted. That put 1.5 million bbls on to the open market which drove prices down. Iran has more oil than anyone in the middle east. There just so far behind the rest of the world they cant produce that much.  
No matter where you go there you are!!!

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: snowstorm on March 31, 2018, 07:40:59 AM
its not all the same. on and off road is uls. heating oil is not according to my fuel supplier. 
Guess it all depends who you believe and who the supplier is. My supplier, off road and heating oil is all the same. When he delivers to the farm he fills my bulk tank and heating oil tank with the same stuff. 

petefrom bearswamp

My off rd was $2.09.9 last July with a $.10 per gallon discount for cash and home heating oil about $.50 more due to taxes.
I'm sure I'll pay substantially more this yr.
My 150 gal tank usually lasts me the year between the mill, tractor and RTV.
I use very little at the house.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

The load I just got 4 weeks ago came off the boat, [Portsmith NH] 2/3 Diesel 1/3 kerosene, Winter blend. ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

bodagocreek2

when they would fill our locomotive switch engine it was just #2 off the truck. He would leave a gallon of red dye to dump in the tank, now it was off road.

snowstorm

look on the epa website. it says off road must be uls. fuel truck comes every 2 weeks when the law went into effect the driver said it was a 10k fine for putting heating oil in the off rd tank

chevytaHOE5674

My fuel guy has told me numerous times that it is the same stuff and there is no difference from his distributor thus no difference from him... said it makes his life easier as he has one less product to worry about seperating.

gspren

I'll add to the confusion between off-road and heating. My oil supplier can sometimes get the older style low sulfur heating oil but often has to get the ultra low sulfur so if you ask him if it is the same he says "sometimes".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

PAmizerman

Quote from: Peter Drouin on March 31, 2018, 06:51:07 AM
Yes, all the same, off road has no tax and is red.
Tell that to PA. The state now taxes off road. I think I need to move
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Texas Ranger

no dog in this, but, fuel oil sees to have a lower ignition point than diesel, only a time or two that I experience it making back fire fuel.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

barbender

Up here it is all the same, except off road and home heating get the dye.
Too many irons in the fire

Ken

The price of diesel is making a substantial dent in the bottom line.  What I can't figure out is that when fuel took a large jump in 2013-14 the price of a barrel of oil was north of $125 as opposed to todays price which is less than 70  I'm not very smart but the math doesn't add up ::)
Lots of toys for working in the bush

Banjo picker

Exactly Ken.  I try to stay informed as to whats happening on the world scene, and I have not heard any real reason why diesel is making the jump. Gas too for that matter.  We do have one gas burner car and a wielder.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

coxy

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on March 31, 2018, 09:58:14 AM
My off rd was $2.09.9 last July with a $.10 per gallon discount for cash and home heating oil about $.50 more due to taxes.
I'm sure I'll pay substantially more this yr.
My 150 gal tank usually lasts me the year between the mill, tractor and RTV.
I use very little at the house.
pete there should be NO tax on heating oil but there is a tax on off road 

Southside

Quote from: Ken on April 01, 2018, 02:50:54 PM
The price of diesel is making a substantial dent in the bottom line.  What I can't figure out is that when fuel took a large jump in 2013-14 the price of a barrel of oil was north of $125 as opposed to todays price which is less than 70  I'm not very smart but the math doesn't add up ::)
Supply and demand, the refineries are taking profits and pushing prices as they know the economy is strong and folks are going to pay, basically it is inflation, only for some odd reason here in the US we don't include energy costs into the inflation equation, so the official story is we don't have any inflation.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Matt601

Quote from: Southside logger on April 01, 2018, 09:22:59 PM
Quote from: Ken on April 01, 2018, 02:50:54 PM
The price of diesel is making a substantial dent in the bottom line.  What I can't figure out is that when fuel took a large jump in 2013-14 the price of a barrel of oil was north of $125 as opposed to todays price which is less than 70  I'm not very smart but the math doesn't add up ::)
Supply and demand, the refineries are taking profits and pushing prices as they know the economy is strong and folks are going to pay, basically it is inflation, only for some odd reason here in the US we don't include energy costs into the inflation equation, so the official story is we don't have any inflation.  
In 2014 we was building a stock pile of oil at the rate of 2.5 million bbls a day. Oil prices crashed because the supply was way over what the world needed per day. OPEC and Russia cut out put 1.5 million a day That with the other natural decline of wells in the last 3 years has used up a lot of our stock pile. When Oil prices crashed from $120 bbl to $30 bbl oil company's stopped drilling new wells. Now we are getting balance oil prices are coming up. What it looks like in the oil world by the end of the year prices will be near $80 bbl if OPEC and Russia keeps the cuts. OPEC has another meeting in Nov if they remove the cuts and open everything back up oil will fall to $30 bbl. USA shale drilling has a lot to do with prices. If they produce too much OPEC will make prices crash to hurt them again. USA shale production need $70 to $80 bbl oil to keep drilling because those well dont produce good but a few years if not months. They have to keep drilling to keep the out put which has a big over head. In Saudi I have seen wells that was Drilled in 1975 still producing 5,000 bbls a day. Low over head. Saudi price per bbl is around $10 break even where in USA its $50 to $70.   
No matter where you go there you are!!!

Thank You Sponsors!