iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Identifying Scarlet Oak (Quercus coccinea)

Started by WDH, April 12, 2007, 11:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

I wanted to share what I have learned about identifying scarlet oak.  It is in the red oak group.  It can be a good quality tree on a good site, but it tends to grow on the poorer upland sites and can have a good deal of persistent dead limbs on the lower bole.

The key Characteristics:

The bark has very characteristic silver streaks that run vertically up the bole.

The contrast between the silver streaks and the surrounding area is not very great, although the silver streaks are visually very noticeable.

The leaves have very deep sinuses between the lobes.  The sinuses extend more than halfway to the midrib of the leaf.

The sun leaves (leaves that grow at the top of the crown in full sun) have sinuses that extend almost all the way to the midrib, leaving just a very narrow waist.

The lobes have distinct bristles.  There are fewer bristles on the lobes of the sun leaves versus the shade leaves (leaves that grow lower in the crown that are not subject to full sun).

The shade leaves are larger and the lobes are more bristly.

The leaf petioles are very long (up to 2" to 3").

The acorn is very distinctive with an acorn cup that covers one-half of the nut.  the edge of the cup is noticeably fringed.

At the tip of the acorn cup, there are usually several distinctive concentric rings.  No other oak has this feature.

Bark with silver streaks:

Leaves:

Shade Leaves.

Sun Leaves.

Comparison of shade leaves and sun leaves.

I don't have an acorn pic because the DanG squirrels got them all :D. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Great post, WDH!  This is knowledge base material.  I had known little or nothing about Scarlet Oaks before visiting at your house.  You're a good teacher. :)

Besides presenting good info about a particular tree, you have included some terminology that might not have been familiar to many.  I didn't know the indentions along the edge of a leaf were called sinuses. :P  I had heard(read) the term "petiole" quite a bit, but wasn't sure what it was.  Now, I think I'm understanding that it's the little stem that attaches the leaf to the tree.  Maybe I shoulda asked or looked it up, eh? :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

scgargoyle

I'm thinking my land in SC has a lot of scarlet oak, judging from your excellent description and pics. Is scarlet a faster growing type? The biggest trees on the property (24" DBH) appear to be scarlets. The white oaks and hickories are smaller. The land goes from the top of a hill (1100') to the bottom (about 100' lower). It's a little damper at the bottom of the hill, and the trees look different (I've only been there in the winter so far). Anyone have any idea how old a 24" scarlet oak might be? Just curious...
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

WDH

Scgargoyle,

Your area is perfect for scarlet oak.  It is found most predominately in the Piedmont (that area of foothills south of the mountains until it gets really flat).  A 24" scarlet is a fine tree and should be 50 -100 years old, depending on the site.  Could be even older.

DanG,

Your point about the botanical terminology not being familiar to all is a good one.  It is almost like a different language.  Rather than have members look up terms in a tree manual,  it is better to describe things in more practical terms........I am guilty as charged and will try to amend my ways  ;D.     
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

No foul committed and no charges leveled.  I was able to tell what the terms meant by matching your text with the pics. :)  Using the proper terms is an important ingredient of any lesson.  An explanation of them is valuable too, especially if some of your audience is as ignorant as I.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Don P

I think we're all guilty of using the specialized jargon of our trade. I like learning those terms and appreciate it when people use them in a context or define them so I understand them when someone uses them later. I do try to define terms at least once in any thread in case there's new folks. We just had "BLO" show up in a wood finishing thread, luckily I already knew they was talking about bovine lip ointment.

Our scarlets are often bell bottomed, I've heard its from chesnut blight.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Bell bottomed?  What a descriptive term ;D.  Those trees must have sprouted in the late 60's and early 70's.  I bet none of y'all wore them  :D.  (I did).

beenthere

Found:
BELL BOTTOM TROUSERS - Commonly believed that the trousers were introduced in 1817 to permit men to roll them above the knee when washing down the decks, and to make it easier to remove them in a hurry when forced to abandon ship or when washed overboard. The trousers may be used as a life preserver by knotting the legs and swinging them over your head to fill the legs with air.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Lanier_Lurker

WDH, I certainly wore them - although I mighta been hatched just a little later than you.

I'll have to remember that I can swing my trousers over my head to create a life preserver.  That could come in handy out on the lake.  ;D

DanG

I came along in the pegged pants era.  I do wear bell-bottomed t-shirts, though.

scgargoyle

Bell bottomed shirts are the only ones that fit me anymore- somebody musta changed the DanG sizes...
Back on topic- I noticed a number of small to medium trees on my property are somewhat bell-bottomed, and some had sizeable holes in them just above the ground. The trees themselves looked OK other than that. Could that be chestnut blight?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

DWM II

My wife bought me some of them new fangled stylish GAP jeans with the wide boot cut. I call'em my ugly pants and wear them outside to work in the yard. :)
Stewardship Counts!

WDH

Scgargoyle,

Not likely.  Oak has its own blights and cankers.  They are probably getting it honest, not from chestnut blight. 

Texas Ranger

Dan has made me get my old dendro book out, DanG, I hate that.  I got to thinking about some of the multiple leaf designs in oaks, and need to take the camera with now to get some of the shots of "three in one" trees.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WDH

Being in an East Texas bottomland today, I can assure you, TR, that you are exactly right.  I had to look up three times at the leaves before I could decide what I was looking at.  Surely, walking around those Texas bottomland water oaks (in a circle) while I was looking up in the crown must be what made me dizzy (or was it that the fine Crown Royal you treated me with tonight...........no, it had to be the water oaks :D).

OneWithWood

You old coots sure have better eyes than I!  Or maybe your oaks are shorter?  I have to carry a small pair of binoculars with me to see the leaves on the first branch in most of my oaks clear enough to differentiate the reds. 
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

WDH

Old coots??????????  DanG probably resembles that remark :D.  (Me too).

SwampDonkey

I wonder if an 'old coot' is old enough to be called an 'old fart'.  :D ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

I think "old coot" is a step beyond "old fart," just prior to "coffin dodger." :-X

metalspinner

To show how little I know, I didn't realize that a tree had sun leaves and shade leaves. :-\    My National Audubon Society Field Guide didn't mention that little fact.  Or maybe I just didn't read carefully enough. :P  That explains alot of my confusion sometimes out in the woods.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

The amount of sunlight that a leaf is subject to can affect the shape, especially so in certain of the oaks.  Kind of strange that it is present in some oaks and not others.  Most books do not go into this much detail.

DanG

Ever thought about writing a book, WDH?  It would be refreshing to find one that has "this much detail", as well as some good quality photos.  Most of them just have drawings, or tiny little pictures, with very little info about what distinguishes them from their cousins.

WDH

I am not qualified to write a book on the subject :P.  However, I agree that the pictures in almost every tree ID book are not a great deal of help since the diversity and variability in many characteristics are not shown in the books.  Most of the time there is only one pic, and that is not enough.  Probably space limits the authors ability to show a full range of characteristics.  Much of what I have learned is from observing many different specimens in the field over and over again, and by teaching to FFA students who are competing in Tree ID contests.  The best way to learn something is to teach it ;).

DanG

So, what "qualifies" one to write a book?  A bunch of letters behind one's name?  As long as the information is accurate and helpful...well, I think that's qualification enough.  A series of small, specialized books would give you the space to go into proper detail. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!