iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

husky 268

Started by JD hauler, April 16, 2007, 10:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD hauler

I just recently got a nice clean used 268, it starts and runs super, havn't had it into the hardwood yet, but can anyone suggest any tips for this older model husky for me, any input or comments on the 268 is appreciated.

SawTroll

First of all, is it a 268se, 268xp, or just a plain 268 - it does make a differense..... ;)

If you post the serial number, it should be possible to find out when it was made.
Information collector.

JD hauler

the # is 3331715, ran it today, any chain recommendations for this saw, the one on it cuts good, but does not aggressively go down throught the log, its a husky chain.

Skip

I've had mine (268xp) since 87 or 88 never had ANY problems  just moved up to a 24 in bar with skip tooth chain , works, cuts great HUSKYS are the SAW. Got a 61 also still runs great saws

JD hauler

is the xp just the better model?

SawTroll

Quote from: JD hauler on April 18, 2007, 08:28:16 PM
the # is 3331715, ran it today, any chain recommendations for this saw, the one on it cuts good, but does not aggressively go down throught the log, its a husky chain.

Looks like it is made in 1993, week 33 then, and probably a "plain" open-ported 268.

The se and xp has closed cylinder porting, and max power output on these older saws is .3 kW/.4 hp higher (4.8 vs 4.4 hp).

The 268xp was replaced by the 272xp, and at about the same time, the "plain" 268 appeared. It is still a current model in parts of the world.

Husky chains is rebadged Oregon chains, and quite good in most cases.
What is stamped on the drive tangs of the chain, and is it properly sharpened, with the rakers set right?
Information collector.

JD hauler

thanks for the info, Man the saw runs well, I do think its a plain 268, but sure runs good, I had a 372 xp and sold it a while back, didnt feel like bucking up again for that price, but darn good saw, I took the chain to the shop and he said it was a good chain, but the rakers have kind of a looped over bend and he is going to take them down to get it more agressive, he made me up two oregon loops today and man do they cut nice, the saw is not far behind a 372 from my experience.  any problem with getting new parts at the dealer ?

SawTroll

Sounds like the chain is a Husky labelled Oregon Vanguard 70-series "V", which is a "reduced-kickback" chisel chain.

I never used one of those, and don't want to either, as the rakers reportedly is hard to set right.

Hopefully your new chains is either 70-series LP or LG.

You should also try Stihl RSC chain, if you can get it in the right gauge.
Information collector.

JD hauler

Yeah that is the chain I got from my local guy here in town, they are oregon and cut like mad, did anyone ever really hop one up or would it be better do a newer style saw, the price is right on the older ones for sure.

SawTroll

Quote from: JD hauler on April 20, 2007, 08:15:15 PM
Yeah that is the chain I got from my local guy here in town, they are oregon and cut like mad, did anyone ever really hop one up or would it be better do a newer style saw, the price is right on the older ones for sure.

LP or LG?       ;D
Information collector.

JD hauler

jstreet

I have a 268xp and i really like skip tooth chain..good saws

Spike60

Saw the thread title and said, "Hey, one of my favorite saw chassis". First, welcome to @jstreet. Then I see that this thread goes WAY back to 2007, And several posts from my old friend Niko in Sweden. All fine with me, cause it's a great saw. But what's changed in the last 15 years?

Parts availbility for this chassis has remained pretty good, as the 272XP and 268 open port are still made down in Brazil. Top ends are now Kolbenschmidt/brazil, (along with the 288). Plastic parts are pretty expensive, so avoid having accidents. :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!