iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

centering logs on the loader arms

Started by 47sawdust, June 28, 2017, 08:53:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

47sawdust

I'm looking for an old thread that featured a way to center logs on the loading arms.It had a set of rollers to move a log back and forth to position it.Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

Mick, I'm not positive, but I think Peter Drouin made one.

Maybe PM him for further info!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crusarius

Pretty sure I saw that mod in the sawmill mod thread.

47sawdust

Crusarius,Happy Birthday! You and Chuck were right on the money.It was Peter's creation and it was in the ''sawmill mods'' thread,post #774.
Thanks to Peter as well.
Best regards,Mick
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

larrydown60

I also saw it on the saw mill mods section

Chuck White

Just in case some of you don't understand this thread!

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/22511/DSCN2410.JPG

The log is rolled onto the wheels, then it can easily be moved laterally!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Crusarius

Glad I could help. Thanx for the bday wishes.

Peter Drouin

I still have it and would use it if I didn't have John.

It did get hooked sometimes. :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

bandmiller2

A handy device but a handier one is careful loading on the deck. I make minor corrections on the deck with a peavey moving one end ahead of the other before I roll the log on the mill. Maybe a roller bolted to each lift arm would be handiest. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sixacresand

The roller deal would be very handy when the milled is setup next to a pile of uncentered logs.  I have drag them back or forth with a winch or come along, of course at an hourly rate.   

It always amazed me that a tractor with all hydraulics and power steering in the world, an customer/operator could not understand the need to center the logs. 

For myself, I bring logs to the mill with a log arch and center them with mill arms before I drop them.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

terrifictimbersllc

Putting a single runner like a pole or 4x4 from the logs to the center of the loading arms can help make it easy to manually steer logs one way or the other.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!