iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Homebuilt swinger

Started by woodhick, January 07, 2006, 09:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

Just wandering if anyone has built their own version of a swinger mill like peterson,mobile dimension, or the lucas.  I have a homemade bandmill that serves me very well, but it's on a semi-permanent job set up indoors with extension.  that makes it hard for me to bring it home on weekends to do my own milling.  job pays well enough I don't want to move it either! :) ;).  I have always wanted to be able to slab large crotches or logs so now I'm thinking aobut buying a swinger or building one.  Any comments on the lucas mills or others.  It would be nice to have both types.  thanks for any input. :P
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

brdmkr

Woodhick,

I don't know anything about building mills, but it seems to me that a swinger would be easier to build that a band mill.  having the 90 degree gear box would be the key, in my inexperienced opinion ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Furby

Do a search here on the forum, there has been lots of talk about a home brew swinger.
The biggest issue was a big/heavy enough gear box.
Deadheader had the parts for and mention something about selling them a while back, get ahold of member Swampy. ;)

Coon

I have a gearbox that would fit perfectly on a homebrew swinger.  I got if from an old small pull-type combine.  If I can remember right it has either a 1" or 1 1/4" input and output shafts on it.
Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

jpgreen

What I would like to do is make a dedicated slabber out of my Husky 3120.  Just to hang the saw, and be able to lower rails accurately.

Wonder if Peterson would sell an ATS frame alone? Then I could by the rest of the ATS at a later date.

Hmmmmm??
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

RichlandSawyer

No one on here has everbuilt a home brew swinger?!?!?!?!.

Well dog droppings! Now i'm gonna have to build one of those too.

Ya cant have a sawmilling message board that hasnt done EVERYTHING!

It just aint American
Every log i open up, a board falls out!!!

Tom

Hmmmm   It might not be Kosher but we have the Petersons and Lindsy of Double cut on here.  They are companies now but were backyard fabricators when they built their first saws.    So..........,  I guess we  have some home built experence here.  :D :D :D :D

RichlandSawyer

8)  Thank the Lord for TOM !!!!  You just pulled my fanny out of hundreds of hours of fabrication. I will sleep better tonight.

Furby

RichlandSawyer

I would like to make a correction to an earlier replay i placed in this thread.
I was being very un-PC by saying "It aint American". What i should have said was
"It aint North American" I would like to appolagize to any Canadians who may have been offended by my crass remarks.

Yours Truly

Richland Sawyer

Tom

You're just going to let the South Americans, central Americans, Irish, Scotch, English, Germans, Swedes, Russions, New Zealanders, Australians and the rest, sit back and whimper?  :D :D :D

DanG

Hey Furby!  Don't that beam try to sag a lot when that chainsaw gets out there in the middle? ??? :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

jpgreen

Whoa... Now that's a dedicated slabber fo sho.  Is that you Furby?
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Furby

Heck no!
Did ya follow the link? ;)

pigman

The interesting thing about Reid's slabber is that it must me some sort of super fast wood drier since he can cut a slab and build a big slab desk from it in only five minutes. :o   I know it is true since I saw it for myself on the TV. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

crtreedude

Yeah, what about us CR people, eh? After all, I hijacked Harold, the fabricator extraordinaire!

I do believe Harold's stuff is available, he ended up buying a Peterson's because he got tired of hanging out in Florida waiting for the next hurricane...

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paul_H

I'm sure it's plenty windy in CR  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

crtreedude

Actually Paul, it tends to only have light breezes her - what they call windy is 20 MPH winds. Hardly noticable from someone who has been in gale force winds.

The tropics are known for not having winds, after all, our weather hardly changes through the year. When which switch from rainy to dry, we have what they call the "Christmas Winds" - nothing strong, but steady breezes - very pleasant.

We will get some steady breezes again in the end of May too.

Bro. Noble

Jeeze Paul,  don't you know nothing :o :o :o

Probably what you were thinking is that all that hot air down in CR causes everyone else to get hurricanes :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Paul_H

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

crtreedude

Be nice Noble - I was born only 139 miles from where you are - I too am a Missourian.

And we don't have near the hot air you all have - just look at the temperatures up there when you all get out of doors in the summer months...

It only gets cold up there during the winter because vacations are over and everyone goes back inside. At least that is my theory...

Bro. Noble

Quote from: crtreedude on January 08, 2006, 11:51:20 AM
Be nice Noble

I saw your crack about sour milk------cuidado ;D

just my al capones :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

crtreedude

Just giving an honest evaluation - after all, your cows called Hector's cows looking for advice...  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!