iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sealing Log Cabin timbers while they dry?

Started by catalytic, June 30, 2011, 12:27:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catalytic

Last summer my dad and I cut twenty something 22'long jack pine timbers ranging from 10" to 25" diameter. We stripped them completely of bark, stacked them so they were well supported & off the ground with airflow space, then made a tarp tent over them. I'm wondering if we should seal them with anything to resist checking before we build with them (planning to build a small cabin in the next 2-3 years). What do you guys think?

thanks,

Adam

madmari

Having been cut a year ago, they should have already checked some while drying.
I am from the school that the wood should breathe; if you build within 2-3 years, the logs  should be stable.
After construction, the log ends will both dry and take on moisture. If you seal in moisture, well you know that story.
  Just my opinion. Best luck with your cabin!
I know why dogs stick thier head out the car window.

John Woodworth

Use melted canning wax, just paint it on with a paint brush, after construction go to Perma Chink, they have all the products you will need, crack and grain sealer for the ends of the logs, chinking, interior and exterior finishes. It'll pay you well to check them out.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Ed_K

We've used product's from Perm-a-chink,very happy with the results.I didn't seal the ends on my cabin.It's now 26yrs old and no problems yet.You do need a good bug resistor product tho.
Ed K

Thank You Sponsors!