iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

*UPDATE IT HAS ARRIVED!!!! *Finally pulled the trigger A new LT-15 is on its way

Started by hbeane, April 17, 2016, 11:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbeane

Hello all. I have not posted anything lately but I have been doing lots of reading.  I was hoping to have my mill Before spring but I was not expecting the Kidney Stones that I have fought most of the winter...I can say I would not wish kidney stones on my worst enemy and anyone out there reading this that had kidney stones knows what I mean.  Worst pain I have eve had hands down.  But anyway like I said I sent my certified  check out last week and the man from Woodmizer says my new LT-15  will be heading for its new home first of the week.  I can't wait. Spent the weekend moving logs cutting brush and trees getting ready.  I have made quite a big pile of Yellow Pine, Pitch Pine, Yellow Poplar, and a few different oaks.  Mostly White.  I am going to have so many questions when the new mill arrives.

The Pine is so sappy.  How long should I let it set before I start making the sawdust fly. I  Do have other logs I can start the learning process with.  But I don't want to cut the pine to soon and do something to the mill.  I have read adding disel to your water to help with the sap buildup. Any thoughts on this?  I will post some pictures of my log pile and my mill when I get it...Can't wait to lay that first log on the mill and cut into it.....Hope everyone has a great week....I Know my week is looking good.  Hope a new mill by the weekend. But that is wishful thinking I am sure...
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

carykong

Congrats on your mill
Milling fresh green logs is preferable to old dry logs
Luv your blade with water and a bit of soap ,murphys soap. Keep posting

WV Sawmiller

hbeane,

Welcome to FF.

Are you planning on sawing for the public or just for yourself? Let me know. Sometimes I get calls from folks as far away as your area looking for lumber or sawing. If you would like me to refer any to you after you have sawed into your clamps a few times and feel comfortable sawing for others I can refer them your way.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Seavee

Wood mizer lt50 47hp yanmar Diesel  Sthil MS311, Ms661 MS200T, 029 farm boss  and a New Holland T4  75hp.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Shadevalley

Wood is good!

Sixacresand

Congratulations on your new LT15.  I know you will have fun with it.   
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Congrats on the mill,you will like it.
What's all the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ohio_Bill

Congratulations on the new Mill.  Pine can get kind of messy. I have never used any diesel, only water and pine sol or dishwashing soap.
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

wesdor

Welcome HBeane,
I have an LT-15 and am very happy with it.  Mine is electric and sits inside my metal building so I'm not a mobile sawyer looking for work.  What are the specs on your mill? 
Enjoy opening each log.  Not sure who said it, but "sawing is like reading a book.  You never know what is inside until you open it".

Keep us posted on how everything progresses for you.

barbender

Congratulations on the new mill! Don't add diesel right into the water, it won't do any good. Keep a little spray bottle with diesel in it (actually, I keep one that is mixed 50/50 with ATF that I spray things on the mill with that need lubrication) you can spray some on your blade if it starts to get gummed up. Don't overdo it, if you get too much your blade can jump off of the bandwheels. Don't ask me how I know ;D. Have fun!
Too many irons in the fire

hbeane

Thanks for all the replies. Sorry I have not been back sooner.  The specs on my mill are LT-15 19 Horse. I choose to not get the go package, the price seemed to steep.  I have an old boat trailer on the hill, A torch, and  welding machine.  So I hope to make my own go package for hardly no cost. Also ordered 2 Cant hooks 48" and 60".  I do not have (yet) a piece of equipment that will do a lot of lifting for me.  I pull my logs with A 1949 John Deere M.  She does a wonderful job pulling but not lifting so much.  So that was another reason for not starting with the trailer Package.  A lot of this is going to be done with old fashioned manual labor and I can't wait to get started. And the help I get from my uncle on his bigger tractor.

Quote from: barbender on April 18, 2016, 11:51:33 PM
     Congratulations on the new mill! Don't add diesel right into the water, it won't do any good. Keep a little spray bottle with diesel in it (actually, I keep one that is mixed 50/50 with ATF that I spray things on the mill with that need lubrication) you can spray some on your blade if it starts to get gummed up. Don't overdo it, if you get too much your blade can jump off of the bandwheels. Don't ask me how I know ;D. Have fun!

Bartender thanks for the advise.  Sounds like a great idea.  Another thing to add to the list of things to keep with the Mill.  Sounds like dish soap and Pine Sol are a must as well.

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 18, 2016, 07:53:26 AM
hbeane,

Welcome to FF.

Are you planning on sawing for the public or just for yourself? Let me know. Sometimes I get calls from folks as far away as your area looking for lumber or sawing. If you would like me to refer any to you after you have sawed into your clamps a few times and feel comfortable sawing for others I can refer them your way.

WV Sawmiller, I do hope that someday I feel confident enough to make a little money with the mill. Right now I am being totally honest in saying I have 0 experience with  a mill. I have always wanted one and I did run one at the Paul Bunyan show (LT-15). So with the being said I feel I have so much to lean before I take on sawing for someone else.  But when I get there I will let ou know.  Thank you for the offer.
Quote from: thecfarm on April 18, 2016, 09:00:27 PM
Congrats on the mill,you will like it.
What's all the lumber going to be used for?

In the near future I am hoping to build a few outbuildings to store some tools on the site I am planning to build a little house on.  I want to get the building up soon but I am not sure bout building with green lumber.  I have read good and bad anyone have any thoughts????? The house is going to be a 28x32 with a little sleeping loft.  Maybe a little shed style utility oom on the back... I want to build the house with Square cut logs, but I have never built anything with this type of construction...Lots of construction experience however....But I am not sure what to use.. I have ALOT of yellow poplar and I assume this would be ok...OR do I just frame it up????? I LOVE the idea of a little log home, and I like the look of square logs...Please anyone have any thoughts or experience building like that....I will take anyone's thoughts.

Thanks again for all the replies. It always amazes me how friendly everyone is here...I am so glad I took the time to sign up and be a part of this
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

plowboyswr

Just wanted to say congrats on the mill.  8) And keep us posted on it, remember that we like pictures  ;D
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

hbeane

Thanks I am as excited as I have ever been waiting on something.  I was over there this evening after work working at my new house site and I again forgot camera. But I have it in my bag I carry over with me so now I have no excuse for pictures.  Right now not very exciting just a cleared place in the woods and a pile of logs.  Pictures soon.. Was hoping the mill would Be here by Friday but it's not looking good...
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

thecfarm

Building with green lumber??
I have no idea about a house. I have only built out buildings,no inside walls. I have built one from stump to lumber in just a few hours.  ;D But I am also in Maine too. Not alot of hot humid weather day after day either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hbeane

I will be letting my lumber dry for the house...However I am considering cutting square logs and building a little log home...If I cut the logs and put up green, make sure air all around. Could I not erect my house Let the green logs (6x8 ?)dry in place. Then after all dry do the Chinking?? Just in the design stages and looking for advice........

On the outbuildings I want to get one or 2 built QUICK..Anything I need to do different building with green lumber? Allowing for drying?? I want it up quick but I still want a dry building.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Keith Shirley

Heath, Glad to see you got your mill. As for building outbuildings with green lumber, go to my gallery and look at my saw shed. I build it board on board, board and batten. Straight from stump to building. I made my outside board 1.5 inches wider than inside board. This should take care of any shrinkage.
Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

hbeane

Keith thanks for the advice.  I am just not sure what you mean. Board on board.  I had planned to use baton board for my siding.  I looked at your pictures and your shed looks great.  Thanks for all your help.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Verticaltrx

All the outbuildings, barns, sheds, etc that I build are built green. The only real considerations come when you put the siding on, otherwise just build as you normally would. For the siding you must allow for the shrinkage of the siding boards, which will leave gaps (which may or may not be a bad thing.) Board and batten, board on board, and lap siding if done correctly can all account for this.

I really enjoy my LT-15 and since purchasing it a year ago I have added both the power-feed and the trailer package. Both were out of my budget at the time, but have been excellent additions. If you do much cutting the power-feed will really increase your productivity.

I cut mostly white pine and the sap isn't much of an issue once you figure out how to deal with it. I use pinesol in my lube water and it seems to work well. If I have logs that have been sitting a while and have a horrible amount of sap on the cut ends I'll usually trim that off (just the last 1/2"-1") to get a clean sap free end for my logs/lumber. Not really needed, but makes handling them nicer. You'll also quickly learn to not grab the boards by the ends.
Wood-Mizer LT15G19

Keith Shirley

Norwood HD36, Stihl 025, 291, 362. New Holland TN75 4WD with loader, Agco ST35 4WD, Poloras Ranger 700, 2 Honda 450 Foremen 4WD

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: hbeane on April 19, 2016, 11:06:50 PM
I choose to not get the go package, the price seemed to steep.  I have an old boat trailer on the hill, A torch, and  welding machine.  So I hope to make my own go package for hardly no cost.

Are you planning on just transporting the mill on the modified boat trailer then setting up or do you plan to saw with the trailer on the mill? If you plan on sawing while mill is on the trailer I would be concerned if it would support the weight. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

hbeane

Finally!!!!! It arrived. I had no idea it was coming today but what a great surprise....Pictures tomorrow for sure!!! Gonna be a great weekend....I get to setup my new mill...FINALLY.....

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on April 22, 2016, 11:09:40 AM
Quote from: hbeane on April 19, 2016, 11:06:50 PM
I choose to not get the go package, the price seemed to steep.  I have an old boat trailer on the hill, A torch, and  welding machine.  So I hope to make my own go package for hardly no cost.

Are you planning on just transporting the mill on the modified boat trailer then setting up or do you plan to saw with the trailer on the mill? If you plan on sawing while mill is on the trailer I would be concerned if it would support the weight. Good luck.

WV Sawmiller,
               My plan when I do it is to copy woodmizer go package.  I was going to cut the axels off, fabricate a bracket of some kind and attach to the LT15. Just not sure yet..when I pull in lower some heavy duty jacks and lift the mill off the wheels just a little...And also fabricate the tounge on the front of the mill..Maybe this is not a good idea???I am going to use the mill and learn the mill before I make it my own. Thanks for the input I will take all I can get...

Quote from: Verticaltrx on April 22, 2016, 09:20:36 AM
All the outbuildings, barns, sheds, etc that I build are built green. The only real considerations come when you put the siding on, otherwise just build as you normally would. For the siding you must allow for the shrinkage of the siding boards, which will leave gaps (which may or may not be a bad thing.) Board and batten, board on board, and lap siding if done correctly can all account for this.

I really enjoy my LT-15 and since purchasing it a year ago I have added both the power-feed and the trailer package. Both were out of my budget at the time, but have been excellent additions. If you do much cutting the power-feed will really increase your productivity.

I cut mostly white pine and the sap isn't much of an issue once you figure out how to deal with it. I use pinesol in my lube water and it seems to work well. If I have logs that have been sitting a while and have a horrible amount of sap on the cut ends I'll usually trim that off (just the last 1/2"-1") to get a clean sap free end for my logs/lumber. Not really needed, but makes handling them nicer. You'll also quickly learn to not grab the boards by the ends.

Vertical TRX
           Thanks for the info I am hoping to get some buildings up soon and going to go with green lumber..I just received mine today..still sitting on the pallet...Gonna be a great weekend project setting my mill up...any advice???
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

hbeane

Keith.  Thanks.  For the article..This is how I plan to side these buildings..informative article thanks a lot.
Woodmizer LT15
1949 John Deere M
025 Stihl
250 Stihl
290 FarmBoss Still
C400 Echo
Honda 300 Fourtrax

Magicman

Congratulations, I can feel your excitement and look forward to seeing pictures.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

stanwelch

Congratulations !!  Good to see another LT 15 owner. 

I found the trickiest part of the assembly process was handling the saw head. Not difficult just awkward and TOP HEAVY.

When you pick up the entire mill and move it,  remember. TOP HEAVY and easily tipped over. (Don't ask how I know)
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Thank You Sponsors!