iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newman straight line rip saw

Started by oakiemac, October 20, 2007, 07:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I've aquired an old (1950-1960ish) SLR. I got it for a good price and I had the guy that I bought it off of saw a bunch of boards to see how it worked. It seemed to do a fairly good job. It wouldn't produce a glue edge but seemed good enough for busting out moulding  blanks or slr a edge of one board.
Well I bought it this spring and have just now gotten my 3phase convertor hooked up and all the associated wiring. I ran several boards through yesterday with dissappointing results. For one thing, it is hard to get the board started in straight. I seem to be gettin diagonal cuts so one end of the board is 5" wide and the other is 5 1/2 or some other combination.
The next problem is that it is not always putting a straight edge on it. some of the boards that it rips will still have a slight bow in the middle. This is one thing that I checked out when I bought it. I put each board on a table top and made sure that the cut was straight but now that I have it home I can't seem to get the same results.

I know the Newman Company is still in buisness and maybe I'll try to contact them next week. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these SLR saws and could point me in the right direction.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Dave Shepard

One thing that might help getting the board started is a laser line. A guy near me uses cheap Crafstman lasers with great results. I bought a couple at Sears for $18 each to put on the edger, but haven't found a good way to mount them yet.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Justin L

My SLR is an old Mattison, but the basics might be similar. If the boards are warped or not the same thickness they can change the way it rips. If the feed chain is too worn it may not hold the boards straight. Does it just need a little more pressure to hold the board tighter? Try something soft like Poplar to see if that helps any. And finally, is the blade sharp?

As for getting them started straight, what does it use to line it up? If it doesn't have a laser you can get a $50 laser level & mount it to the saw with a bracket for a low budget improvement.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

Justin L

That why I'm supposed to review my post when someone else cuts in front of me :)

A guy helping me worked at a machine shop & made mine. I'll see if I can find a picture.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant! :)

Thank You Sponsors!