iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

maybe I never told you how much I like Woodmizer

Started by woodmills1, July 31, 2014, 07:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

:D as if

The 70 is running better than it has ever  for me, I think maybe there was an issue in the transducer before i even got the mill.  The head goes to its position and stops now, but it always kinda searched before.

Got about 720 feet of pine cut, 16 foot long five quarter by ten inch boards,  plus edging the flitches on the mill.  So slow edging on the mill but that is that. I am using the same blade to test.  I use Woodmizer 7 degree 55 thou thick at inch and a half wide.  I think I will just see how many board feet this blade will do before I sharpen it.

Once again I must say that this is the way to saw and the company to do it with
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: woodmills1 on July 31, 2014, 07:33:34 PM
I think I will just see how many board feet this blade will do before I sharpen it.

As you know.....and I know you know......we should never run a blade until it just won't saw anymore.

BUT SOMETIMES........we just have to push that envelope.  :D :D :D

Way to go Woodmills1.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

But you will not get to sharpen it as many times.  Running a dull blade flexes it toward the rear and thus reduces it's lifespan.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

woodmills1

The blades I buy are just way much better at sawing than I am.  I made a hundred bucks with this blade for some cookies for a bride.  Then I cut 1434 feet of pine with it, the old pine where the bark isnt off yet but when you turn it it gets in the way on the mill.  Those logs have the really bad stuff under the bark that the debarker really doesnt get to.  I got 300 bucks for that job, 5 hours at 60 bucks customer cost 20.9 cents per bd ft.

So, I have a blade that cost me 34 dollars, earned me 400 buckareenos, and Ifin I sharpenes it and it makes a dollar before metal 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

Peter, for my mill with the big cat power, I can do the wider blade.

I keep all my non broken bands.  I use two piles, hit metal and did not hit metal.

Some of the did not hit metal blades will really surprise me way later in time, after sharpening.

The nice thing about a sharpener is I never lack a band.

Peter Drouin

What size cat do you have? 51 or 61
I know about having a better blade after sharpening. Somehow I got 3 boxes of new dull blades. I told WM about the first box and they sent me a new box and I sent in the dull blade box. I open another box and the same thing #3 same thing . I gave up and just sharpen them all .
A&P saw Mill LLC.

CalebL

Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 01, 2014, 09:51:28 PM
I know about having a better blade after sharpening. Somehow I got 3 boxes of new dull blades. I told WM about the first box and they sent me a new box and I sent in the dull blade box. I open another box and the same thing #3 same thing . I gave up and just sharpen them all .

I ordered a box of (15) 7° blades last year and there was only 7 or 8 blades in the box. They were delivered to the office so I didn't get them until the next day. I called up woodmizer and they said that they had never heard of this before. It took some convincing but they sent me the rest of the blades.

Missing and dull blades? Sounds like it's not that hard to believe after all.

I do have a question though about WM sharpening. It doesn't happen a lot but I notice I occasionally get a few blades that have not been set correctly.  I have been taking them off the mill right away and writing on them with masking tape and sharpie "bad set" and sending them back with the next batch of blades.  The problem is I always get charged for them again like the dull blades. Is that common with you guys?
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Peter Drouin

Quote from: CalebL on August 02, 2014, 02:30:35 AM
Quote from: Peter Drouin on August 01, 2014, 09:51:28 PM

I ordered a box of (15) 7° blades last year and there was only 7 or 8 blades in the box. They were delivered to the office so I didn't get them until the next day. I called up woodmizer and they said that they had never heard of this before. It took some convincing but they sent me the rest of the blades.

Missing and dull blades? Sounds like it's not that hard to believe after all.

I do have a question though about WM sharpening. It doesn't happen a lot but I notice I occasionally get a few blades that have not been set correctly.  I have been taking them off the mill right away and writing on them with masking tape and sharpie "bad set" and sending them back with the next batch of blades.  The problem is I always get charged for them again like the dull blades. Is that common with you guys?

That's why I have a new WM CBM sharpener and dual setter. So no matter what I get or what I hit with the blades I can fix them most times.
But 3 boxes in 27 years with them is not bad, things happen :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Dave Shepard

I have had zero problems with ReSharp New York. They'd have to screw up an awful lot for me to buy a sharpener. I'd probably stop sawing if I had to sharpen my own bands.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Magicman

Same here with the Georgia crew.  The only set problems that I have had is that I may have knocked a tooth too far out with a nail, etc.  A crescent wrench will easily find and fix that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dave Shepard

I have had a couple of them come back like that from hardware hits, but that isn't ReSharps fault. Actually, they told me to tag any that hit hardware so they can check them over better. I'm thinking of setting all of my hardware hits aside and sending them together, and then just using them when I'm sawing blocking or something else nasty. Fact is, since I started only sawing woods sourced trees and not peoples yard junk, I don't hit hardware. It's been almost four years since I've had a hardware hit in a log.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Resharp New York told me to turn my metal hit blades inside out as a signal to them that it was a damaged blade.
I've been doing that for years.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Magicman

I always hang a tag on mine.  I know nothing about WM's setters, but I know that a tooth set too far out is undetectable by most (or maybe all) manual setters.

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

peter I have the cat 62 hp turbo, it is a lot of motor.  I don't use resharp, I have a drag stone sharpener that still works.  I almost never set anymore, it is such a pia.

I also agree that any blade that hits metal is very hard to bring back to any where near great cutting.  Too be honest I am almost at the one use per blade, hence the pushing the envelope.  I still sharpen and reuse, but only those that didn't hit anything

drobertson

Woodmills, you should be able to get close to 2000 bdft from one of your blades, not counting metal hits of course.  And yes, edging on the mill stinks it up a little, but the boards are sure nice this way,   keep on keeping on the way I see it.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodmills1

so that would be less than 2 cents per bd ft.  Pretty small cost then.

Magicman

Actually blade cost is a very small sawing expense no matter whether you resharpen or send them to a re-sharpener.

woodmills1

wear and tear may be way larger  but I wont say that.
My 79 is fun, my multitek is a job, and the log pick ups are easy but dangerouse the street using the loader

Thank You Sponsors!