iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 magnum... time jumper???

Started by knuckledragger, May 15, 2019, 09:23:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knuckledragger

Picked up this 066 at a local scrap yard. My reason for visiting the yard had nothing to do with saws, however, I spotted the tale tale faded orange handle protruding from the scrap and couldn't help myself. What I pulled from the rubble was a complete 066 magnum excluding chain, bar, and bar side cover. Got to the office with the saw and it so happens that the man who owns the yard is in the office. I asked him to set a price on the saw. $20 he responded. So I get home with the saw, second pull it hit. Not à normal hit, sorta half hit, half back fire. Pulled a couple more times same thing. I pull the starter cover and sure enough one of those two keyway flywheels is staring at me. No biggie I'm thinking. I pull the flywheel, reposition, and put it back together. Second pull it hit, normal sounding this time. Moved choke lever up one click and on the fourth pull it started. Wow!! I thought to myself. 30 seconds later it died hard. Pulled again and I got the half hit, half back fire. I pulled the flywheel again and repositioned the flywheel. The saw ran about 30 seconds and died hard again. Keyway on the crank hasn't been compromised, nor on the flywheel. Is there another point where a slip can take place? I don't know of one. Holmentree??¿??? please

HolmenTree

Nice find!!
Did you try both flywheel key ways?
Post some pics or the part numbers under the flywheel and on the coil.
Also the date clock letter under the rear handle and top cover.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

knuckledragger

Look for them later in the day. I'm away from the saw now. Yes, I have had the flywheel in both positions. When I change the flywheel position the saw will start and run bout 30 seconds then die hard, like knock hard.

knuckledragger

I've apparently lost my mind...temporarily. These are the pics you requested HolmenTree. The coil is not the original nor a Stihl coil so I omitted that pic. Reason for the opening statement is that the key was sheared. I am guessing that when the engine would stop the key would catch in it's position. That is why when I repositioned the flywheel each time the saw would start and run briefly then die hard. I felt so stupid HolmenTree. Anyway, I would be grateful for the info you had for me and am thankful for your time, I know it's valuable. Pics are not uploading for some reason. I'll figure that out and post them shortly

knuckledragger

I've done something wrong with the pics. Two # on the back of the flywheel :  P 1122 400 1209C
                  P+X1122 400 1214B
I believe the flywheel positions on P. That would be on the center of the flywheel facing outward. Two options are P For. The clock on the top cover shows 94. The clock on the under side of handle shows 88. I'll keep working on the pics.

HolmenTree

knuckledragger,  I should  have asked what your 066's serial number is.
Those date clocks you go by the letter in the center of the clock symbol. Anyways not important, serial # is better.
Those exact flywheel numbers you gave were available in both single and double keyway. The single keyway had a X for unlimited coils.
The double keyway flywheel had P and X.
 If you use a unlimited coil like a 1122 400 1311 or 0000 400 1300 the X is used, the P would be too much advance that will break keys.
P is for limited coils like the 1122 400 1307 .
I have a hunch your 066 would take a 1122 400 1311 unlimited coil.
These were put on the 066 models newer then the # starting at 131067164.
So what's your serial #?

HolmenTree

Also to add....you said the coil is not a Stihl brand. It's probably a generic aftermarket 0000 400 1300 unlimited coil. Stihl OEM 1300 coils were NLA years ago.
Put a new key in the X slot you should be good to go. 

knuckledragger

Serial # is 133915728. The 2nd # could be an eight. I did put a new key in, positioned the flywheel on P. No luck, so I pulled the flywheel and repositioned on X. Nine pulls later the saw was idleing like a new saw. I placed a 25" bar with chain on the saw and got in a 23" white oak log from a tree I removed five or six weeks ago. The saw ran like a 91cc saw. I guess I'm gonna hang on to this $20 saw. Don't know why, I got the stand-by 064 that I've had more than two decades. I restored that saw about eighteen months ago. Fact is, that is the saw I cut the white oak with after I got the top out of it. Again sir I want to thank you for your time and info. Your knowledge seems to be infinate. I am fortunate that You communicate with me.

knuckledragger

I meant to give my theroy about why such an outstanding saw ended up in the scrap yard. Whoever owned the saw must have positioned the flywheel on P. The result was just as you suggested. Too advanced, sheared the key. That caused the indidual to put the after market coil on the saw as you suggested. No luck still, so they scrapped the saw. I'm probably all wet but that is my theroy.

Al_Smith

Every so often you get lucky .Right place, right time

knuckledragger

I'm not accustomed to being lucky like that Al. Hard knocks and hard work to overcome them. Hey, I like lucky though, a fella could get used to it

HolmenTree

knuckledragger, happy to hear I helped you out.
According to your 133915... serial # you have one of the very last preferred early 066. Yours is a 1996 model.
Also that same year after serial #133917... the 066 got the poly flywheel, heavier crankshaft and plastic top cover badge.
You should have a decomp valve as they came out in 1995 after #132231...

On the right is my 1997 066 #134989...
The last flat top 066 series before the 1998 EPA detuned round top 066.

On the left my 1992 066 Mag Redlight  sporting a 064 rewind housing/flywheel and top cover with a transplanted 066 badge and Magnum decal.

knuckledragger

The 066 I now have is like the one on the right. Only noticable difference is magnum 9n the top cover is in front of decompression valve . Shows to go ya, even a blind hog finds an acorn once in while.

Mad Professor

These might help......

knuckledragger

Thank you mad, all good information is accepted gratefully.

Thank You Sponsors!