iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winding down

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 16, 2019, 06:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

After my 3rd 4th or 5th maybe 6th career I a going to wind down my sawing business this year and take up my Maybe 7th or 8th ( i forget which) career 
I have discovered fishing. A lot of fishing.
Not that I didnt fish in my earlier life, I did, but just seems that holding a rod waiting for a fish to bite is better than wrassling a 50 to 75 pound slab off of the mill and then handling many 10 to  20 to 30 pound ,maybe more boards, stacking, sticking and moving a stack of boards is not as much fun as it used to be.
I plan to either sell the mill or maybe, if he is of a mind to do so , give it to my son.
will keep logging on to the forum and at Linda's insistence attending the pig roast as long as old folks can do it.
Luv all of U guys.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

KenMac

Best of luck to you,Pete!!!!  I don't blame you one bit for enjoying your life!
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Bruno of NH

Good luck fishing Pete
I hope you still will come to the Northern Projects
Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

bandmiller2

Pete, you've done your hard time, enjoy yourself and do as you please. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

YellowHammer

Congratulations on your decision, and it's always best to leave when you are on your game, and on your terms.  

This year I made a resolution myself, take a break and head for the lake at least once a week, but I've been going more.  So I'm with you all the way and if you're ever down here in north Alabama, pack your favorite rod and we'll hit the lake.   

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WV Sawmiller

Pete, 

On the way down to or on the way back from Alabama to see the Yellowhammer feel free to stop off here and we'll go jerk some baitfish out of the lake and set out a few catfish lines or just go harass some bluegills. Last time I was down there the Mayfly hatch was so thick I had to go upstream to swifter water to find an open spot I could get a hook in. In cases like that it looks like piranhas out there boiling the water. Enjoy the plan but stay flexible for that next career opportunity. They might need a lady's swimsuit consultant or such somewhere.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

APope

You Sir are well blessed. Wife and a fishing rod. Go forth and enjoy.
Unafraid to use my chainsaw, JD 2640, Frontier OS31

doc henderson

Pete, glad we can still hear from you and gain from your knowledge and experience.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Southside

Pete,

Congratulations on the decision. I hope you can attend Jakes event again next year if nothing else for the social component. I enjoyed meeting you there. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

I am looking forward to winding down too. Less than 6 years now. 8) 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crossroads

Fishing is fun 👍🏻 Enjoy
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Stephen1

Enjoy the new Career. It sounds like a whopper!
Keep coming to visit us on here .
Cheers
Steve
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

barbender

Pete, I'm behind you 100%!👍👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

ellmoe

What can I say , some people are just quitters!  ;D  All the best wishes in the world . Stop by if you are in the area again!
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Chuck White

Congratulations on your decision, Pete!

Just don't wind down of the DeGrasse camp!

Missed you last Fall, hope to see you this Fall!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

caveman

The offer is still open if you make it back down here.  I am looking forward to the day when I can retire from my day job and spend more time running the mill and fishing.
Caveman

Ed_K

Be looking for you on the Pro Bass Tour ;D.
Ed K

Raider Bill

Cheese smuggling is a very fulfilling career.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

CCCLLC

Good luck Pete, hope to still see some posts from you. Maybe some pics of large fish slabs.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Raider Bill on July 17, 2019, 08:01:43 AM
Cheese smuggling is a very fulfilling career.
And he can smuggle grits back up to the frozen wastelands. :D

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

K-Guy

Enjoy your new career!!

Just remember they call it fishing not catching!! ;D ;D
Nyle Service Dept.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
- D. Adams

thecfarm

Not this frozen wasteland, I have The Guards on the Kittery border on high alert.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

GAB

Do like I did, come in from the North there were no guards there.
Oh Hi Ray.
GAB
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: thecfarm on July 17, 2019, 12:48:52 PM
Not this frozen wasteland, I have The Guards on the Kittery border on high alert.
What high alert? I heard the guards at the border let all their riff-raff through into Maine and improved both places in doing so. :D :D

Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!