iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Advice sought from Ford Industrial Engine experts!

Started by scsmith42, May 28, 2016, 01:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

I have a 1995 JLG manlift with a 4 cylinder Ford LSG-423 industrial engine.  This is a multi fuel (gasoline / propane) engine with a carburetor, and it drives a large hydraulic pump on the manlift.  As I understand it, the engine is loosely based upon the 2.3 liter Pinto engine.

The engine is toast (it was a factory reman put in before I bought the lift), and I plan on replacing it soon.  It seemed a little underpowered for the manlift; there are many times when I was driving it across the farm and I ran out of power (such as climbing a shallow hill), and I'm wondering if there is a larger / more powerful engine that I can easily swap in.  If I recall correctly the current one was rated at 75hp.

I'm not looking for a science project; rather just wondering what long block assembly or complete engine would be a bolt-in replacement for the LSG-423 (such as a 2.5L from a early to mid 90's Ford Ranger / Explorer).

Can anybody share some knowledgeable advice?

Thanks much.

Scott

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Bill Saf

LSG-423 is a 2.3l 140cid the 2.5L is a LRG-425 153cid every thing block wise is the same will bolt in. the 2.5l is a stroked 2.3l  stroked by 7MM with high flow heads.  (from a early to mid 90's Ford Ranger / Explorer).

Hope it helps

Bill

scsmith42

Quote from: Bill Saf on May 28, 2016, 05:37:16 PM
LSG-423 is a 2.3l 140cid the 2.5L is a LRG-425 153cid every thing block wise is the same will bolt in. the 2.5l is a stroked 2.3l  stroked by 7MM with high flow heads.  (from a early to mid 90's Ford Ranger / Explorer).

Hope it helps

Bill

Just what I needed to know - thanks much!

Do you know if my 2.3 head will bolt up to the 2.5 block and work properly (ie cooling passages lined up, etc)?

Any

starmac

I do not know anything about this particular industrial engine, but think you will find it very different from anything ever offered in a car or pickup, cam, rpm,range, probably pistons and most likely the cooling system, and pulley setup. Not saying a car engine will not work or be adapted, but I would expect it to behave much differently.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Corley5

Does the lift have an SAE bolt pattern for the bell housing or Ford's automotive pattern?  Maybe it's not an issue ??? 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bill Saf

2.3l and 2.5l the SAE #4 and #5 bell housings bolt up. the blocks are the same the cranks are different 2.3l 4 counter weights - 2.5l 8 counter weights and 7MM stroker. the 2.5l head has 7mm valve stems and high flow head. the oil pump runs of the timing belt.

Google LRG-425 and LSG-423 the auto engines are the 2300 or 2400

Peter Drouin

I have a 140 cid in the chipper. Had to get a dis, cap and rotor gas job. Match up to a 1984 mustang, I think they're all the same. Cars /Chippers or what ever.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

scsmith42

Quote from: Bill Saf on May 29, 2016, 05:23:59 PM
2.3l and 2.5l the SAE #4 and #5 bell housings bolt up. the blocks are the same the cranks are different 2.3l 4 counter weights - 2.5l 8 counter weights and 7MM stroker. the 2.5l head has 7mm valve stems and high flow head. the oil pump runs of the timing belt.

Google LRG-425 and LSG-423 the auto engines are the 2300 or 2400

Thanks Bill.

sandsawmill14

i dont know about that particular engine but other than the governor set up ford used alot of the same engines for auto and industrial applications we used to use a air compressor to run a jack hammer that was a 302 ford v8 that was converted so standing in front looking at engine the left head was converted to a air compressor and the right side of the engine ran as a 4 cyl to power the compressor :o im still not sure how exactly it worked  ??? but it did and the feller that figured that out was" using his head like a redworm " when he figured that one out :D :D :D
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

easymoney

i think that air compressor idea goes as far back as the flathed v8 ford. some of the younger generation might wonder what a flathead ford is.

Corley5

LeRoi made the TractAir and Schramm made the Pneumatractor.  They were tractors that used some engine cylinders for power and some for air compression.  IH made an adapter that took the place of a spark plug to air up tires.  I think Ford made one too. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

starmac

Used to buy the spark plug air hose kits at most any parts house, at least in farm country. We use to keep one in every pickup.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Thank You Sponsors!