iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Friend with saw

Started by obcexp, February 28, 2017, 11:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

obcexp

Last night I requested info on a saw a friend of mine inherited. I want to offer him a fair price and asked for advise from the members. FF kicked me off and said I need to read the rules. Is my request unreasonable?

TKehl

Not a moderator, but my guess is this went against overarching principals of this form being a gathering place and active participation first and commercial questions as almost an afterthought.

I'm betting the question itself would not be frowned on, but joining the forum just to ask a commercial question would be.  May or may not be your intent, but if it was your first post and it was commercial, that's probably how the mods interpreted it.

Again, my opinion only. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

obcexp

I thought I worded it as a non sale or marketing post did not know if a mod. responded or if a computer just picked up key words. The saw is a 1990 tl30 with 250 hours on a 220v 3 phase 10 or 15 hp motor. Elec. feed and height.

paul case

Woodmizer keeps a orange book guide to sawmill value. You need to have the vin number from the mill so they can give you an Idea about its resale value when you call. Number can be found by clicking on WM's ad above

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WV Sawmiller

Saw the post and did not jump out at me as opposed to policy but may have overlooked something. Anyway IRT ur question about fair price you can check up the sawmill exchange (sponsor on left) and see if you see similar saws for sale. Also I would contact WM (also sponsor) and ask them. If asking about a specific saw and history with WM you will likely need the VIIN and the owners ID. He may have to be the one to ask. If nothing else WM should be able to give you a checklist of items to check on before purchasing such a mill.

Others with similar mills may chime in with what they paid or would want if they were selling their mill. You will find well maintained mills hold their value very well in any case.

It always amazes me to see a mill that age with such low hours but I see it often. I think people get excited about how easy it is going to be to turn cheap logs into expensive, high value lumber then when they get their mill they find there is still work involved and they let it sit idle.

Oh yeah - welcome to the FF.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Brucer

For a casual or hobby mill, age is the biggest cause of depreciation. When I was shopping for my first mill I found a local guy who had a mill sitting in his front yard for 7 years. He put 300 hours on it the first year and then it sat.

He was expecting to get 80% of what he paid for it. I explained that a new mill of the same model would actually cost less (and it had a bunch of extra features). That was the last I heard of him.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

nativewolf

You know that's funny.  I've seen the same thing- especially with swing blade mills.  Some folks have a used model priced higher than comp new ones, and significantly more than say a turbo or brandx.  Strange to me. 

Second WV Sawyer's recommendation for sawmill exchange as a good site for pricing.
Liking Walnut

obcexp

I bought the LT30 now looking for advice on setting it up any thoughts? It is now portable but I plan to put it under roof and removing the wheels. I'm wondering about best base design and height, as well as accessibility. I will be using a tractor with loader to load logs.

Wallys World

Where in Virginia are you located?
Welcome to the Forum!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Thank You Sponsors!