iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Maple Syrup

Started by cbla, January 12, 2015, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Got all of our line taps done yesterday, 1,150 of them!

Got all (31) line barrels in today!

Sap actually ran a little today!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bhall

Cbla, wish I had seen your thread here on the food, but did not and started a thread on the general board, I stuck some photo's there today & will provide a few more as the season progresses. My set up is just small time, do it for the family and the shear enjoyment of doing it. A friend of mine does it big time, not quite like Chuck but he is getting there. Makes me happy when I convert the folks that used to buy the corn syrup at the super market. Once they find out what real syrup taste like they are hooked and buy it from my friend. I use it for baking, if a recipe calls for a cup of oil, use a cup of syrup instead. Makes loafs & cookies more moist and taste better. Good luck & hope you have a good season.
Bob
97 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic/Lombardini
Life is good on the Catawba path

cbla

bhall, I saw your pics on the other thread looks good. I managed to find a guy that bought some sugar stuff ( buckets and spiles) last year and never used it.

cbla

Chuck White

Quote from: bhall on March 10, 2015, 11:27:56 PM
Cbla, wish I had seen your thread here on the food, but did not and started a thread on the general board, I stuck some photo's there today & will provide a few more as the season progresses. My set up is just small time, do it for the family and the shear enjoyment of doing it. A friend of mine does it big time, not quite like Chuck but he is getting there. Makes me happy when I convert the folks that used to buy the corn syrup at the super market. Once they find out what real syrup taste like they are hooked and buy it from my friend. I use it for baking, if a recipe calls for a cup of oil, use a cup of syrup instead. Makes loafs & cookies more moist and taste better. Good luck & hope you have a good season.
Bob

We are not "Big Time" by any means.

The evaporator my brother has is only 3'wide x 8'long.

The Big Time guys will use a 4' x 16' or larger.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

cbla

I worked for a guy 20 years ago that had one of those big evaporators. I can still remember how hard it was getting it in to the sugar shack, it weight a ton.

thecfarm

Small time or Big time,it all taste the same.  ;D  The small time just have to work more than the big time. Kinda like a manual mill and a hyd mill.  ;D
I will miss the smell of boiling this year. I have to work on Maple Sunday too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

I also will miss the smell of boiling sap this year. We have enough leftover from last year to make it through another year and there is just to much  snow in my back yard to mess with it. I hope everyone has a good run this year.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

bhall

Chuck, sorry about the implication. There is a man near here that is big time, has the reverse osmosis; a big filter press and some one told me he now has a centrifuge, I did not know they were used for syrup. That friend of mine has aspirations of being that big, I never had the desire. It would be more like a job and I would not have as much fun.
thecfarm, very well said, I like that (manual vs. hydraulic) and the smell of the boiling sap is truly a pleasure. Many years ago when I first boiled sap I think I enjoyed the smell more than the taste of the syrup, just something special and soothing about it.
Bob

bhall

cbla, I posted some more pic's on my thread under General Board. The season is starting out slow but it will get better. Wish you luck with yours.
Bob

cbla

Same to you Bob! Nothing happening here until probably week after next as temps are still too cold

Chuck White

It's ready to break loose in this area.

We'll gather around 300 gallons tomorrow, we think!

bhall

cbla, how are the temperatures doing way up yonder ? Hope you get some of that sap soon, sure look forward to hearing that you did good.
Bob

cbla

Still too cold here Bob. 15F here last night and its supposed to stay around 26 - 27 F day time for the rest of the week. Next week they are calling for 37 - 39 F as  daytime temps so hopefully next week something will happen.

cbla

calling for another 6 inches of the white stuff again tonight.

cbla

ok the 6 inches turned out to be 26 inches. I am a little tired of winter!! :'(

bhall

cbla, that is crazy, I really feel bad for you folks up that way, we had high winds and cold air but at least no more of the white stuff
Bob

cbla

thanks Bob! I had 3 ft of snow on the ground at the camp last week now with these last 2 storms add another 40 inches to that.

cbla

Sap is finally starting to drip hopefully things will pick up soon.

bhall

cbla this is about the strangest March weather that I can remember having in a long time. Maybe everything will turn to the better, it has to doesn't it. Bob

Chuck White

According to the "weather guessers" the sap should break loose tomorrow and should be good runs through Friday.

Could end up with several thousand gallons of sap!  Here's hopin'!

cbla

Bob it sure is! 8 inches of the white stuff came down last night. It is calling for highs of around 45 later this week so hopefully that is a good sign

Chuck White

Weather forcast changed, (imagine that)  it's not supposed to get very warm this week, just above freezing.

So...... there won't be a lot of sap.

cbla

Chuck, that's what happened to us last week. I am holding my fingers crossed that the forecast does not change this week.

Chuck White

We had a couple of lines that RAN today, but the rest just dripped.

Right now we have about 150 gallons in the barrels, so we'll gather tomorrow afternoon!

By then, we should have around 300-400 gallons, depends a lot on the wind.

Thank You Sponsors!